New ROGer Array

Maximus VII Ranger PCI x16 crash

Hi,

I built a new config few month ago, and my graphic card is crashing when I am playing or execute some benchmark (The display driver stop responding...)
    I tried to update Bios of motherboard (2601), and firmware of graphic card, Clear CMOS, tried different bios setting, nothing change.
    But with the graphic card in the second PCIe x8, no carsh at all, game and benchmark run well.

So I decided to RMA my motherboard, but when I put back the cap on the socket, I made a mistake and bent some pin, so the retailer refuse to take the motherboard under warranty
    I success to fix the pin, and this is working again, but still the same problem with the PCIx16.

I didn't try to reinstall windows, but it is a clean install and I tried different nvidia driver.
    Because the graphic card is working on the second slot, I beleive it is a hardware problem more than software.

I think asus is not going to accept the RMA now because of the pin has been bent (if we look very closely, we can see that 2 of the pin has been fixed)

Does someone has any other idea to test?

Otherwise, I am going to keep this motherboard and use the second pcie (but I won't have a fully working motherboard, even if it is new )

Thanks for your help.

Config:
    MB: ASUS MAXIMUS VII Ranger v1.02 (BIOS 2601)
    GC: GIGABYTE NVIDIA GTX 960 Windforce OC 2gb (GV-N960WF2OC-2GD)
    CPU: Intel i7 4790k
    FPU : Corsair HX750I

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hello Hyralex and welcome

That's a shame you bent a pin or 2 installing the protective cover and unfortunately they won't do an rma because it's classified as a user error.

There very well could be a problem with the first pcie slot since you get crashing. If you have another gpu to try in the first pcie slot you could do that. I understand your concerns about not having a complete functioning board but if you don't ever plan to go sli, there's nothing wrong with using the second pcie slot.

Maybe now that you fixed the pins and the cpu works they might rma it for you, it might be worth trying again.

New ROGer Array

Thanks for your answer (and your welcoming).

I found someone with the exact same config having the same problem... Could be a compatibility issue?
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread....35#post5069735

I said to the retailer that I am going to fix the socket, but he said asus is going to find out and refuse the warranty. He said I could call Asus to explain the problem.
    Last edited by Hyralex; 05-13-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Nate152 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Mouse Razer Basilisk

It's not a compatibility problem but I don't know why it would be crashing in the first pcie slot. He is having the exact same problem as you and he tried a different gpu and everything was fine so maybe your motherboard is fine too. It seems it's a problem of some sort with your 960's.

And with only 1 gpu installed the second slot should be running at x16 too, it's when you run two gpu's both slots will run at x8 x8.

I don't know if this will help but in the bios, Advanced tab I forget exactly where it is but you can change the gpu to GEN 3, if you can't find it I will reboot and find it for you.

New ROGer Array

Thanks, I already tried to change the value in the bios (GEN3 and GEN2) and didn't solve the problem.

On my motherboard, only the first slot is PCIe X16, the second slot is only X8 (we can even see that the pins stop half way of the slot).

The other guy tried another graphic card, but it is an old one and doesn't have the same need of power and bandwidth. Unfortunately, I don't have another graphic card or motherboard to test.
    But yes, I could investigate the graphic card (I could give it to a friend to test on his machine). I was focus on the motherboard because the other slot works, but only half the connector of the graphic card is connected in this case, so could be that the graphic card is not working properly in full pci X16.

The question is: Is there a real performance difference between PCIX16 and X8 for this graphic card?

Thanks again

New ROGer Array

Something I forgot to mention. When connected to the first slot, sometimes the graphic card is not detected when I boot.
    A reboot fixed the problem every time.
    I thought in the beginning it was because I was connected with HDMI, and that the problem occurs when I start the computer before switching on the monitor. But no.
    This problem never occurs on the second slot.

Nate152 PC Specs
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Mouse Razer Basilisk

There is no performance difference running at x16 or x8.

Yeah get your friend to try your 960 in his pc to see if it still crashes. If it still crashes in his pc I would think your motherboard is fine and there's a problem with the 960.

ROG Member Array

Hi
    Im the person from the guru3d topic that you posted .

Right now i use the video card in the x8 slot also .
    Im thinking about send the video card and the cpu to the shop in more some weeks ,
    maybe they can test it there , if they can't do a test it goes to the RMA .
    Maybe i will send the motherboard too , to don't wait for a second RMA if needed , but need to dismount all the pc .

I don't have other parts to test and can't test in other pcs too .

I also installed the video card bios , 3 versions . Version F2 , F3 and a newer F3 that was uploaded to the site later .
    One weird thing , it was in the gigabyte site a F2 and F3 bios versions , then they uploaded a newer F3 version , and now theres no F3 versions , just the F2 version its there .
    None of the versions fixed the problem .

I use windows 7 x64 , did a new install of W7 in other hard drive , and installed also ubuntu 14.xx.xx , but the driver still crashs in the x16 slot .

Some weeks ago i have found a topic with the same problem as we have , but i never got a reply or a personal message from him , looks like he is out of the internet or its not getting emails of replys and PM's .
    Here is the link:
    http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answer...therboard.html

I think its the cpu or the video card , but maybe the motherboard .

Let us know what happens with your card on your friend pc .
    Would be good test the cpu also , but maybe your friend pc doesn't have the same socket .

With gpu-z , Check if its running as PCI-e 3.0 x16@x16 3.0 , doing the gpu-z render test .

Thanks .

My other topics , maybe helps..
    Geforce Forums - pciex16-3d-crash-problem-pciex8-3d-all-ok/
    Rog Asus Forum - PCIEx16-3D-crash-problem-PCIEx8-3D-all-Ok
    Last edited by Rart; 05-15-2015 at 02:28 PM.

ROG Member Array

Hi Hyralex

Any news about the problem ?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Rart; 07-15-2015 at 12:50 PM.

ROG Member Array