cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[GUIDE] OS X Yosemite 10.10.3 on ASUS G750JM, G750JS, and G750JZ (osx86)

rigolo
Level 7
DISCLAIMER: THIS IS TESTED ON G750JM. WHILE IT SHOULD WORK ON THE OTHER MODELS MENTIONED, I CANNOT GUARANTEE THIS. USE A BLANK DRIVE WITH NO DATA ON IT TO START. DO NOT PARTITION YOUR CURRENT DRIVE IF YOU DO NOT WANT TO RISK LOSING DATA.

This is a guide for a mostly-working OS X 10.10.3 on the G750JM/S/Z series notebooks from ASUS.

This is assuming you want to install OS X on one drive, and already have Windows on the other. I have my OS X drive in HDD bay #1, and can easily switch between them with no problems. Shut down, then power on, is more successful for me than restarts. YMMV.

You will need a working Mac with a copy of App Store Yosemite 10.10.3 on it. If you have Mavericks, just download Yosemite and it will appear in your Applications folder. You also need a blank internal hard drive and a USB drive for installer.

I am going to try to make this super easy. All credit goes to the brilliant minds that make this stuff work. I just followed some instructions and used a bit of deductive reasoning. Everything I used is taken from other detailed posts; this is a basic guide for a beginner at hackintosh-ing to get up and running quickly, and/or for an advanced user that can further improve upon this.

Working (NVIDIA is disabled):

i7 CPU 2.4-3.4GHz
Intel HD 4600 with QE/CI
Trackpad with scrolling and both buttons working.
Apple HDA sound
Brightness via SysPref slider
Lid Sleep and Wake
BroadCom Wifi
Battery with percentage
USB 3
Audio Out / Mic
Webcam
HDMI
Keyboard backlight - stays on, not adjustable yet. I am using SmartTouchpad kext, which needs some tweaking to get brightness and backlight keys working I think.
Some function keys - volume, display off, etc.

Not working yet:

Bluetooth - fixable, I just don't need it much. I will probably patch it in soon.
Brightness and kb backlight adjustment keys, change brightness through Sys pref

This was built and tested on my ASUS G750JM, taking cues from Mavericks guides for mine and the JS model. It should work fine on all three models of this series - G750JM, G750JS, AND G750JZ, as the only hardware difference is the NVIDIA card, which is disabled.

Battery life is not too bad. I am getting about 3 hours of web use, with full brightness. Windows is not much better even with better power management.

Ideally, you want to remove all except your 1 blank Mac HDD or SSD (32GB minimum) from your ASUS to avoid confusion. I have 3 drives in mine, 1 where the DVD used to be using a converter bay (who uses dvds and cds anymore?!) It is easier not to be juggling too many partitions while doing this.

Steps (assuming you have already downloaded 10.10.3 Yosemite Installer, newest one as of this post, from App store).

On Mac:

1. In Disk Utility, partition an 8GB or higher usb stick using MBR format in 'options'. Make 2 partitions, first about 250MB and FAT format, the other for the installer. Name the larger second partition "osxinstall". I have used USB2 and USB3, 8GB and 16GB. You are fine either way. You can used a hard drive for this as well; I have only tried with a USB drive.

2. Mount and restore the clover.dmg file attached here onto the first, smaller partition. Clover has been set up for this computer and doesn't need modification. No need to disable Haswell through kernel modification, etc. Ignore all of that junk. Clover rules.

3. Open Terminal. Type:

sudo /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/osxinstall --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ OS\ X\ Yosemite.app --nointeraction

On ASUS:

1. Go into your ASUS BIOS, do these (I have a hacked 205 BIOS that allows changing voltage, etc of NVIDIA card. The other guides had different stock BIOSes. I don't really think it matters):

a: disable vt-d in advanced
b: disable secure boot and fast boot in advanced
c: enable Launch CSM, leave PXE OpROM Disabled

2. Save changes in bios and exit, and keep pressing ESC key until boot options appears. Choose your UEFI drive, then choose OS X installer.

3. It might take a few minutes to boot into installer. Open Disk Utility, partition your hard drive with GUID format and 2 partitions again, the first is FAT 250mb, the second is for OS X Extended journaled. Name the first one 'clover,' the second one 'os x' so you don't get confused.

4. Install OS X onto large partition. It might freeze up on "about a second remaining," and require a reboot. Let it reboot and continue installation if this happens.

5. You should now be able to boot into OS X. Everything is done, all kexts and dsdt etc are integrated into Clover. You can edit the color profile to sRGB if you have any artifacts. Edge scrolling seems to be enabled by default along with 2 finger scroll. I am looking into disabling it, as my big hands keep hitting the edges of the trackpad while I type. Look in the info.plist in SmartTouchpad kext.

6. You can now restore Clover.dmg onto your first 250mb hard drive partition so you don't need to keep that USB in there.

7. For Apple HDA sound, download Kext Utility, and install the DummyHDA and EAPDFix.kext from below. You will also need to delete voodooHDA kext from clover partition. The detailed guide is at:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/372-applehda-for-alc282/

- the changes to Clover posted there have already been done - feel free to double check anyway. Make sure you have vanilla AppleHDA, and reboot 2x once done to enable.

8. Post here any suggestions, fixes, or obvious blunders I made in this mini-guide. Sorry if I missed something. Just wanted to get this out there. This is a great machine, and can run programs like Logic really well.

Hopefully all new changes can be made via Clover, so I will just update that as needed.

The clover dmg is too big to attach here so follow the link.

As of right now, to switch back into windows, you need to go into ASUS bootloader by hitting ESC key when restarting. I will fix this and a few other things, then post a new Clover.

Download link:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=48497985968874331397
39 REPLIES 39

rigolo
Level 7
Update: I have removed edge scrolling by editing the smart touchpad kext plist file. Trackpad, 2-finger scrolling, and buttons are really nice and smooth now. This is a great rig, and I am surprised how well OS X is running - my previous experience with a Dell was pretty clunky. Sometimes I am forgetting I'm on a PC! Of course, graphics-wise this is basically the equivalent of a new 17" MacBook Air. But luckily, windows is still there for sound and fury!

Just place the attached touchpad kext into your clover partition in clover/kexts/other and reboot. That will disable edge scrolling.

rigolo
Level 7
Update: have Apple HDA working. Bright and crisp sound now. The sound dongle I ordered hasn't arrived, I guess I don't need it now! Going to try to make this a clover-only solution then upload a new Clover. If not, I'll post instructions.

rigolo
Level 7
For now, you can fix AppleHDA using this guide:

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/372-applehda-for-alc282/

I have updated Clover posted above, so all you should need to do is patch dummyhda and eapdfix from that guide, the rest is already done in clover.dmg. I also update the trackpad settings so it is: 2-finger scrolling, no edge scrolling, both buttons working.

rigolo
Level 7
Edit: I had sleep working, I must have broken something. Sleep is not working with the Clover I posted. I will update once I have it working.

rigolo
Level 7
Sorry for delay, I have been busy with other projects. Can anyone post their progress here? I see that some people have been downloading these.

rigolo wrote:
Sorry for delay, I have been busy with other projects. Can anyone post their progress here? I see that some people have been downloading these.

hey rigolo, i have been trying to boot into the osxinstall partition, when i get to uefi that boots fine and when i select my install osx it goes into the apple symbol then right after it gives me a circle with line through it. i have followed the instructions word for word lol, using MBP13 2009 with mavericks and osx10.10 downloaded trying to hackintosh my G750JS

Duron27
Level 7
Nvidia is disabled, does that mean just from kexts or you did some kind of a bios thing?

Duron27 wrote:
Nvidia is disabled, does that mean just from kexts or you did some kind of a bios thing?

its only disabled in osx due to optimus

Devin179
Level 7
I get a circle with a diagonal line through it when I try to boot. Any suggestions? I am running a G750JM-BSI7N24 which has a core i7 4710HQ.