cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How To Get Backup Images of Windows 8.1 & Recovery partitions For G751JY DH72X?

poisondartfrog4
Level 7
I recently purchased a Asus G751JY DH72X notebook with 500GB m2 ssd and 1TB HDD. I'd like to replace these
two existing drives with 1TB samsung SATA ssd. Since I'm paralyzed and usually get around to the library with my
laptop on my lap wheeling along the sidewalk I find it very advantageous to replace existing HDD with Soild State
drives since they are less susceptible to excessive vibration than traditional HDD.

I really need to make backup images of both the windows 8.1 install & Recovery partitions before I can replace the
drives with my two samsung 1TB ssd. Unfortunately I only know two things about this process...that I can use
backtracker & that I should use a pen drive to copy the drive images.

Wondering if I can use memory card reader with micro sdhc or micro sdxc memory card to make backup images
with backtracker?

Anyone here that can offer up a step by step guide for me to follow so I will be able to successfully use backtracker
to make backup images of the win8.1 and Recovery partitions...this would be truly appreciated. I'm sure that there
are other 751 owners that might benefit from a step by step image making using backtracker guide.

Sincerely,

Phil
11 REPLIES 11

Asoryu
Level 9
poisondartfrog47 wrote:
I recently purchased a Asus G751JY DH72X notebook with 500GB m2 ssd and 1TB HDD. I'd like to replace these
two existing drives with 1TB samsung SATA ssd. Since I'm paralyzed and usually get around to the library with my
laptop on my lap wheeling along the sidewalk I find it very advantageous to replace existing HDD with Soild State
drives since they are less susceptible to excessive vibration than traditional HDD.

I really need to make backup images of both the windows 8.1 install & Recovery partitions before I can replace the
drives with my two samsung 1TB ssd. Unfortunately I only know two things about this process...that I can use
backtracker & that I should use a pen drive to copy the drive images.

Wondering if I can use memory card reader with micro sdhc or micro sdxc memory card to make backup images
with backtracker?

Anyone here that can offer up a step by step guide for me to follow so I will be able to successfully use backtracker
to make backup images of the win8.1 and Recovery partitions...this would be truly appreciated. I'm sure that there
are other 751 owners that might benefit from a step by step image making using backtracker guide.

Sincerely,

Phil

You should do some research on Backtracker before you choose to use it. Currently there are a substantial number of users who Backtracker fails for, me being one of them. My suggestion is to use a mirroring software to create an image of your current hard drive and then write that image to the new drives. Backtracker is a very poorly designed and tested solution to factory recovery and I have a feeling that if you do use it you'll only be sorry.

I'm going to link you some threads on the failures, do not listen to the suggestion that it's incompatible drives that are the cause. If the drive were the issue then it would have been an easy solution but all they can do is suggest you spend a bunch of cash on different drives that other people have had success with only to find out that it won't work. There is a flaw in the code on ASUS's side that they aren't admitting to nor resolving.

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?51237-ASUS-Backtracker-failed-to-read-from-usb-when-imagin...
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54292-G751JT-CH71-Asus-Backtracker-to-SSD-problem
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?53672-Help!-Backtracker-just-bricked-my-G751JT-CH71
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?54938-Please-help-Asus-G751JT-backtracker-issues

poisondartfrog4
Level 7
Hey Asoryu,

I only mentioned backtracker because I'd seen it posted as the software to use to backup the drives. Someone
recommended Acronis. Do you know anything about how well this software works to create drive images? I don't
even have a pen drive to make the images...just a USB card reader with a few 32gb micro sdhc memory cards. I'm
not even sure if I should make images of both the ssd and the hdd or not. I read somewhere that the OS is installed
on the ssd and the installation files are stored on the hdd but I don't know if this is actually the case. I'm in the dark
here...no one here has responded to my posting to help me with a step by step how to create images of the win8.1
and recovery drives. I think I really only need an image of the Recovery drive...but I honestly don't know which drive
it is on. Thank you for your advice regarding backtracker Asoryu.

Ok Backtrack is design to replace a recovery DVD Set. It has in the past worked to restore to a new smaller SSD. As you are seeing here there have been some failure trying to use it to recover to a smaller SSD.
Backtracker is your best way to return your notebook to factory condition.
I have had lots of failure to boot after restoring Acronis Images. I have 5 computer in my network at one time all 5 were on Acronis and all was well until I got this notebook Acronis had been advertising UEFI Compatibility since 2010 late Verision. and 2011 for sure. however their software could not restore a booting OS Hard drive/SSD. As late as 2014 people were still having issues restoring, then with the 2015 version they completely changed there user interface. Spend some time in Acronis Support Forum. They have worse tech support than Asus. Use it at your own risk. I had already changed over my UEFI units to Macrium Reflect since back in 2012 they were the only cloning/Imaging software that could restore a booting UEFI GPT OS Disk/SSD Free edition. I have since paid for the Pro Version and have removed Acronis completely. Macrium Recovery media tool is very easy Win PE. they have a great support forum and tech support that understands how their software works. For merely Cloning a hard drive to a new hard drive or just making disk images all you need is the Free addition. If you want to use MR as back up software backing up files and folders setting up schedules then you need to get the paid for version. MHO
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

poisondartfrog4
Level 7
Hey Clintlgm...thank you for providing the scoop on backtracker and Macrium.

Is the factory default setting for Asus G751JY DH72X with the Win8.1 OS installed onto the 500GB (m2) SSD & the
Win8.1 OS Recovery files installed onto the 1TB 7200rpm HDD?

I don't know the correct answer for sure. But ordinarily the recovery partition would be on the same drive as the OS all should be on the M.2 SSD. I'm pretty sure that is the case as for instance if you were to run a F9 recovery we would tell you to remove your other hard drive because if you didn't it would get formatted too. The Recovery partition is copied to the USB stick using Backtracker. restoring either way will put your notebook just as it was shipped including any 2 hard drive you have if you don't remove it before the restore.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

i got a recovery partition but it is only 900MB and it is hidden.. you need to use "diskpart" to access it. i can see all the files there but unable to use those file, cant even use the default windows "create backup recovery"...
can anyone tell me how can i create a recovery USB drive.. without the use of backtracker...
for now.. what i do for now is copy all the files on the recovery partition, and make it bootable (havnt tested yet)..
pls help.. run into trouble BSOD error: 0x0000001

Asus recovery partition is more like 12 Gb not sure but windows alone is 4 GB plus all the required drivers and bloat ware. Use 'MiniTool partition Wizard you can see all your partitions including hidden ones
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

on my G751 JY with EaseUS Partition Master 10.5 i see a recovery partition with 12 Gb, in use is about 10,87 Gb.
With this Software i could create a backup harddisk with the C-Partition. You also can copy it on a greater harddisk like you want to do.