cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog g750jm, is 55c minimum and 66c Maximum temp while idle normal?

FreddyRivera
Level 7
I wonder if having 55c minimum and 66c Maximum temp while idle is normal? im just surfing the internet and monitor the temp with HWInfo .. the current temp now is 57c..im new to ROG , before i Used Asus K series. so i decide to ask here from a more experienced users
8 REPLIES 8

GottiBoi55
Level 10
FreddyRivera wrote:
I wonder if having 55c minimum and 66c Maximum temp while idle is normal? im just surfing the internet and monitor the temp with HWInfo .. the current temp now is 57c..im new to ROG , before i Used Asus K series. so i decide to ask here from a more experienced users

Hi FreddyRivera, and welcome to the forum.

I would say, that's pretty much normal for your JM model.
You have to realize, your G750JM is using Nvidia Optimus, which has it's advantages, and disadvantages.

1. Advantage: somewhat longer battery life. (That can be debatable)
2. Disadvantage: CPU runs around 10C hotter than non Optimus models (because the use of the Intell HD4600 graphics being used at the same time)

There's one little trick that I do to balance out the two.

1. Go into the Nvidia control panel.
2. Manage 3D setting.
3. Program setting.
4. Go to Internet Explorer, FireFox, or what ever program you what to change, then change the preferred graphic processor to "High-performance Nvidia Processor".
(I would do this for all your games too)

Doing this little trick, and it will balance out the temps between the two.
My average temps while surfing the web is around 44c.

Hope this helps you my friend?
Come back and let us know if this works for you.
Good luck, and good gaming!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:

Hi FreddyRivera, and welcome to the forum.

I would say, that's pretty much normal for your JM model.
You have to realize, your G750JM is using Nvidia Optimus, which has it's advantages, and disadvantages.

1. Advantage: somewhat longer battery life. (That can be debatable)
2. Disadvantage: CPU runs around 10C hotter than non Optimus models (because the use of the Intell HD4600 graphics being used at the same time)

There's one little trick that I do to balance out the two.

1. Go into the Nvidia control panel.
2. Manage 3D setting.
3. Program setting.
4. Go to Internet Explorer, FireFox, or what ever program you what to change, then change the preferred graphic processor to "High-performance Nvidia Processor".
(I would do this for all your games too)

Doing this little trick, and it will balance out the temps between the two.
My average temps while surfing the web is around 44c.

Hope this helps you my friend?
Come back and let us know if this works for you.
Good luck, and good gaming!

Thanks for the respond! .. right now . following your suggestion.. i can lower it down to 44°c. .and gpu 43°c.. later i will try monitoring while gaming.. what is your temp while gaming sir? thank you! its been a while im going back to gaming on laptop.. my desktop need some rest for awhile lol.

FreddyRivera wrote:
Thanks for the respond! .. right now . following your suggestion.. i can lower it down to 44°c. .and gpu 43°c.. later i will try monitoring while gaming.. what is your temp while gaming sir? thank you! its been a while im going back to gaming on laptop.. my desktop need some rest for awhile lol.

You welcome my friend.
Your getting the same results that I'm getting while surfing the web.
I get around 80c-83c for maximum temps on average while gaming, and anywhere between 68c-75c for average temps.
For example 73c average temp for FarCry4, and 68c average temp while playing Wolfenstein The New Order.
Hopefully you will get similar results.
That little trick really takes some of the stress off the CPU.

Good luck, and good gaming my friend!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
You welcome my friend.
Your getting the same results that I'm getting while surfing the web.
I get around 80c-83c for maximum temps on average while gaming, and anywhere between 68c-75c for average temps.
For example 73c average temp for FarCry4, and 68c average temp while playing Wolfenstein The New Order.
Hopefully you will get similar results.
That little trick really takes some of the stress off the CPU.

Good luck, and good gaming my friend!

thanks! its all settle then.. at last

hmscott
Level 12
FreddyRivera wrote:

FreddyRivera, if you have other background processes running, like when you get a new laptop and continually are installing new programs, music, pictures, videos, the indexing programs will run constantly trying to keep up.

I configure Windows indexing control panel to index nothing, and that stops background updates from it.

If you have iTunes, Cyberlink, etc media software, I also un-configure all the folders it wants to search, and manually do indexing when I am ready - mostly I don't care for them to build a library as I remove disks and add/remove media so the index isn't helpful - it just wastes resources.

And, follow GottiBoi55's suggestions, get the discrete GPU taking the load off of the CPU Intel iGPU to keep the CPU die heat down.

And, during normal computer use, the Balanced Power Plan is best, as it runs the CPU at 0%-100% depending on load, it lets the CPU cool down between loads - using Advanced set the Power plan CPU to 0%/100% Min/Max

hmscott wrote:
FreddyRivera, if you have other background processes running, like when you get a new laptop and continually are installing new programs, music, pictures, videos, the indexing programs will run constantly trying to keep up.

I configure Windows indexing control panel to index nothing, and that stops background updates from it.

If you have iTunes, Cyberlink, etc media software, I also un-configure all the folders it wants to search, and manually do indexing when I am ready - mostly I don't care for them to build a library as I remove disks and add/remove media so the index isn't helpful - it just wastes resources.

And, follow GottiBoi55's suggestions, get the discrete GPU taking the load off of the CPU Intel iGPU to keep the CPU die heat down.

And, during normal computer use, the Balanced Power Plan is best, as it runs the CPU at 0%-100% depending on load, it lets the CPU cool down between loads - using Advanced set the Power plan CPU to 0%/100% Min/Max

i do video streaming and Facebook though and i dont use cyberlink and itunes. guess its not install here . but my processos.. i see alot of nvidia , asus and mcafee processes... and yes sir i am using balanced power when gaming and normal use.. ..thanks for the respond! i will keep monitoring the temp ...as im typing now my temo stays at 47c.

FreddyRivera wrote:
i do video streaming and Facebook though and i dont use cyberlink and itunes. guess its not install here . but my processos.. i see alot of nvidia , asus and mcafee processes... and yes sir i am using balanced power when gaming and normal use.. ..thanks for the respond! i will keep monitoring the temp ...as im typing now my temo stays at 47c.

FreddyRivera, which processes specifically? If there are Asus processes running, note their names and uninstall them if you don't use them. The Game First process isn't needed per se, nor is Asus Power4Gear, Splendid, Live, Update, etc.

Same for Nvidia background processes - uninstall Geforce Experience - it's only useful for ShadowPlay and if you aren't using it uninstall it. You can do your own Game feature tuning, the Nvidia settings are a nice start, but I always end up increasing some settings and decreasing others.

You only need the Nvidia Drivers, Nvidia Physx, the other items are optional and unneeded for most of us. After uninstalling the other stuff from Programs and Features you can use Nvidia Custom => Clean Install for only installing what you need moving forward.

McAfee isn't recommended, Asus used to bundle a 120 day demo of Norton Internet Security which puts a lighter load on the system - uninstall McAfee / reboot, and download a copy of the new 2015 Norton Security demo for 30 days and try that.

The Windows indexer is a big user of resources as you install new stuff, and the prefetch/fetch system stuff is too at boot up - turn that all off. Disable Hibernate that will turn off Fast Startup, and free up disk space on your C partition.

47c isn't bad 🙂

hmscott wrote:
FreddyRivera, which processes specifically? If there are Asus processes running, note their names and uninstall them if you don't use them. The Game First process isn't needed per se, nor is Asus Power4Gear, Splendid, Live, Update, etc.

Same for Nvidia background processes - uninstall Geforce Experience - it's only useful for ShadowPlay and if you aren't using it uninstall it. You can do your own Game feature tuning, the Nvidia settings are a nice start, but I always end up increasing some settings and decreasing others.

You only need the Nvidia Drivers, Nvidia Physx, the other items are optional and unneeded for most of us. After uninstalling the other stuff from Programs and Features you can use Nvidia Custom => Clean Install for only installing what you need moving forward.

McAfee isn't recommended, Asus used to bundle a 120 day demo of Norton Internet Security which puts a lighter load on the system - uninstall McAfee / reboot, and download a copy of the new 2015 Norton Security demo for 30 days and try that.

The Windows indexer is a big user of resources as you install new stuff, and the prefetch/fetch system stuff is too at boot up - turn that all off. Disable Hibernate that will turn off Fast Startup, and free up disk space on your C partition.

47c isn't bad 🙂

he processes you mention is exactly what my background uses are... so okay i will remove the Asus one first cause i never use them.. anyhow after monitoring gta 5 for 2hr.. i found out.. its not too bad.. range between 60-70c.. and never pass 80 or 90 which i read on other forum about playing heavy games on laptop. About mcafee.. Is kaspersky any better? ... anyhow. thanks for your help sir! now having my ASUS ROG is much better without having to think that it is burning inside.