cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem Updating Bios

khoatic
Level 7
So I've been trying to update my Bios to version 1401 from 706 to better support my 5th gen i7 and better stabilize the computer. Another reason is because my RAM seems to be under-clocking itself, So I figured this could resolve it as well and be at the speed it should. So far I've tried using the EZ Update tool on my Window 8.1 Pro OS, which attempts to update it to version 802. The tool comes back saying success, restarts but then as trouble coming back, I believe it would halt at a FA QCode. When I finally got it back up the bios was the 706 version still. So I tried the EZ Flash Utility, stuck the 1401 bios version on a flash drive, clicked flash, it said complete. The main difference here is when it came back and I tried going to the bios it was it was updating the bios, shortly after it restarted itself and acted like the it did after I did the EZ Update. Im hoping some of you might have a solution to this. the cpu Im using is a 5th gen i7 5960 and running 64 gb of ram 3000mhz(Patriot VIPER 4 Series 3000MHz (PC3 24000) 32GB Quad Channel DDR4 Kit - PV432G300C6QK"). Any help would be awesome Im just wanting to have my ram run at what it should be running at and the cpu at its main potential.
8 REPLIES 8

drop4205
Level 12
R5E Bios update via flashback
Clear CMOS and unplug computer hitting power button to drain power to psu. Plug psu back in and CMOS but do not turn computer back on just power to the psu. Assuming 1 thru 3 are already done go to step 4

1. Prepare a freshly FAT32 formatted USB pendrive.
2. Download the BIOS and extract the BIOS file to the USB pendrive.
3. Rename the file to R5E.CAP.
4. Insert the USB pendrive into the USB 2.0 port that's not beside the PS/2 port.
5. Press the ROG Connect button until a flashing LED appears, then release.
6. The flashing LED will start to blink faster and faster. When it stops blinking, the process is over.
7. Power on your system.

When you power on your system, you will see a black screen and a message telling you that it's updating the BIOS. Once your system restarts, you're finished.
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Chino
Level 15
khoatic wrote:
So I tried the EZ Flash Utility, stuck the 1401 bios version on a flash drive, clicked flash, it said complete. The main difference here is when it came back and I tried going to the bios it was it was updating the bios, shortly after it restarted itself and acted like the it did after I did the EZ Update.

After the EZ Flash utility is finished doing it's thing, your system will restart to complete the BIOS update process. The second part of the update process consists of a black screen and a message telling you the iROG is updating. When your system restarts, the process is done.

khoatic wrote:
running 64 gb of ram 3000mhz(Patriot VIPER 4 Series 3000MHz (PC3 24000) 32GB Quad Channel DDR4 Kit - PV432G300C6QK"). Any help would be awesome Im just wanting to have my ram run at what it should be running at and the cpu at its main potential.

Also, you might have trouble getting your RAM to run at 3000MHz as you've combine two memory kits together. It's not recommended to do such a thing. The Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview thread written by Raja has a nice, detailed explanation why you would want to avoid combining memory kits even if they're identical. I'd return the two kits and get a single 64GB kit instead.

As a sidenote, running 64GB of 3000MHz RAM puts heavy stress on your CPU's IMC. So don't expect it to be plug-n-play.

Chino wrote:
Also, you might have trouble getting your RAM to run at 3000MHz as you've combine two memory kits together. It's not recommended to do such a thing. The Don’t combine memory kits! The meat and potatoes overview thread written by Raja has a nice, detailed explanation why you would want to avoid combining memory kits even if they're identical. I'd return the two kits and get a single 64GB kit instead.

would this one work better than the two I have? G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM 2800 (PC4-22400) Intel X99 Desktop Memory Model F4-2800C15Q2-64GRK

Chino
Level 15
Yes, that kit will work nicely. If you want to save yourself a good $100, you can get the F4-2133C15Q2-64GRR kit which has a higher chance of working right of the bat with no need to tweak anything.

khoatic
Level 7
How much worth is the extra 677mhz on the ram? Is it hard to tweak in the bios? Id prefer the higher speed but I just want to make sure its not going to fail to even update the bios or seem unstable. If its going to work or might need a slight adjustment easily in the bios to make it stable and work nicely after it then Id prefer that. It just depends on how complex the tweak would be and how likely it would be to work.

Chino
Level 15
If the procedure is done correctly, the BIOS will be updated without problems.

Tweaking includes changing different voltages for the CPU and timings for the RAM.

khoatic
Level 7
Just installed the 2800mhz ram and it works wonderful! On top of that the bios updated without a hitch!! Thanks so much for your help