cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Splitters for Maximus VII GENE

ASnakeNeverDies
Level 7
I'm about to build a new computer inside a Corsair Obsidian 350D case and I'm wondering about the specifications for the "CHA_FAN" headers featured in the Maximus VII GENE. I'd like to know more about those because I'd like to make use of all the space the case provides. With five(5) fan mounting spots and only three(3) "CHA_FAN" headers I find the need to use fan splitters in order to acomodate all the fans. I'd prefer not to use a fan controller nor a MOLEX to 3-pin connector.

As far as the manual goes:

"The 'CPU_FAN' connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12 W) fan power."

Reading over the internet I found some people saying that the fan headers provide a maximum of 1A, but since that's not specified anywhere in the manual I'm not sure what to believe. I've also read that all "CHA_FAN" headers combined amount to a maximum of 2A (source). Does anyone have any information regarding the "CHA_FAN" headers on this motherboard?

I'm thinking about connecting the two front ones (AF140 Quiet) to "CHA_FAN1" and the two top ones (AF140 Quiet) to "CHA_FAN2". A single (AF120 Quiet) fan would go to "CHA_FAN3" and another (SP120 PWM Performance) to "CPU_FAN".

The Corsair website provides information about the specific power draw for each fan:

AF140 Quiet 0.10A
AF120 Quiet 0.08A
SP120 PWM Performance 0.18A

That's a total of 0.66A (0.40 + 0.08 + 0.18) and as far as I understand, it seems pretty safe. Is it safe? What do you think?

Thanks for reading!
4 REPLIES 4

ASnakeNeverDies
Level 7

My original post somehow dissapeared and I made the mistake of not saving it anywhere else. So this is a rushed version of that original one!

I'm about to build a new computer inside of a Corsair Obsidian 350D and I'd like to make use of all five(5) fan mounting spots the case offers. Since the Maximus VII Gene motherboard only features three(3) CHA_FAN headers, I find the need to make use of fan splitters in order to accommodate all the fans. For that particular reason I'd like to know more about those headers (I'd prefer not to use fan controllers nor MOLEX to 3-pin connectors). Does anyone have any information about the fan headers on this motherboard?

This is as far as the manual goes regarding fan header capabilities:

"The CPU_FAN connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12 W) fan power."

I'm thinking about connecting the fans like this:

CHA_FAN1 AF140 Quiet Edition (x2)
CHA_FAN2 AF140 Quiet Edition (x2)
CHA_FAN3 AF120 Quiet Edition
CPU_FAN SP120 PWM Performance
CPU_OPT N/A

The Corsair website provides information about the power draw for each fan:

AF140 Quiet Edition 0.10A
AF120 Quiet Edition 0.08A
AF120 PWM Performance 0.18A

That's a total of 0.66A (0.40 + 0.08 + 0.18) and as I understand, that seems safe. Is it safe? What do you think?

Thanks for reading!

Nate152
Hello ASnakeNeverDies and welcome

I saw your first thread and the reason it got deleted was you didn't have anything posted in it.

As for your fan configuration that looks good, you could put up to 4 of those fans on one chassis header.

Build away !

Nate152 wrote:
Hello ASnakeNeverDies and welcome

Hi there Nate152! I'm very glad to now be a part of this community.

Nate152 wrote:
I saw your first thread and the reason it got deleted was you didn't have anything posted in it.

What's curious about that is that it wasn't the thread that got deleted but the actual post. I'm not sure what I did. :S

Nate152 wrote:
As for your fan configuration that looks good, you could put up to 4 of those fans on one chassis header.

That's what I thought but needed some more confirmation, thank you for taking the time to help me!

Nate152 wrote:
Build away !

Can't wait! 😄