cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Installation Issue

cache
Level 7
So I picked out my Crosshair V Formula-Z, thinking it would be 10/10... however I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to install Windows 8 through my disk drive to figure out how good it even is. I'm attempting to install onto an SSD, I even disconnected the HDD in hopes of that resolving it somehow. I even did the reverse. Still nothing. This is my first build from scratch so I have no experience with this.

This is my problem every time I attempt to install Windows:

'Windows Setup'
'Compatibility report'
'The computer started using the Windows installation media. Remove the installation media and restart your computer so that Windows starts normally. Then, insert the installation media and restart the upgrade. (Do not select ICustom (advanced)I installs a new copy of Windows and deletes your programs and settings.)'
3 REPLIES 3

cache
Level 7
/sos

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Welcome to the ASUS ROG Forum,

First I have limited experience with the Windows 8.x products but I am not at all familiar with the messages your are receiving..are you using a "genuine" copy of Windows 8 as it almost sounds like you are using a preview copy of some type; especially with the Compatibility Report?

Regardless here is what I would suggest:
1) disconnect all storage devices except your SSD drive and your DVD drive
note-make sure that the SATA Storage Controllers are set for AHCI operation too!
2) verify that the BIOS has detected both storage devices (from step 1)
3) configure the boot order to be DVD drive first and SSD drive second...you can also "force a boot device" by going to the BOOT menu in the BIOS and scroll all the way to the bottom and look for the boot overider area and click on the DVD drive with your Windows 8 media
4) you may want to disable the UEFI boot for now but remember that your bootup times will be affected (the computer will start slower)

Also on another computer I would download a hard disk erase tool and get rid of whatever is partially installed on your SSD too.

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

elesde
Level 10
What TheNerdBench said is also pretty much my advice / experience with the Win8 installer.
That stupid thing put the boot sector on the harddisk even though Windows itself was installed on the SSD with no option to change that behaviour... so the only way to set it up properly was to disconnect all storage devices except the source dvd / usb drive + the target disk / SSD for installation.
You might even want to remove the source drive once the install files have been copied (after the first reboot at installation) so it has no other choice but to boot from the target disk.