cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chances of G751 becoming insect-infested?

kraver0
Level 7
As the title says, what are the chances of insects (mainly spiders in my case) crawling through the back vents and living inside of the G751?

Yes, insects do not like heat; therefore, they will avoid any heat source. But I don't use my G751 24/7.

I'm concerned because I've been moved into my family's basement for the time being, and.. it's not necessarily heavily spider-infested. Let's just say there are definitely many critters crawling about.
I already got two big, swollen and painful bites on my back and near my zygomatic bone after 2 nights.

Should I be concerned of any possible hardware damages? Are there filters near the vents, or other structures that may block the insects' pathway to the circuits?
7 REPLIES 7

ROGTWAT
Level 7
Frankly, you should be concerned about your house, not your laptop. 😉
ASUS G751JY | i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M | 16GB RAM | M.2 SSD + HDD | WIN 10

hmscott
Level 12
kraver0 wrote:
As the title says, what are the chances of insects (mainly spiders in my case) crawling through the back vents and living inside of the G751?

Yes, insects do not like heat; therefore, they will avoid any heat source. But I don't use my G751 24/7.

I'm concerned because I've been moved into my family's basement for the time being, and.. it's not necessarily heavily spider-infested. Let's just say there are definitely many critters crawling about.
I already got two big, swollen and painful bites on my back and near my zygomatic bone after 2 nights.

Should I be concerned of any possible hardware damages? Are there filters near the vents, or other structures that may block the insects' pathway to the circuits?

ROGTWAT wrote:
Frankly, you should be concerned about your house, not your laptop. 😉

Yipe!! Leave the laptop upstairs for now, and save yourself !!

Sleep on the couch upstairs next to the laptop, keep yourself in the eye of the upstairs dwellers, or you might be a long term basement dweller... Out of sight out of mind... 😞

Scream alot, run upstairs into your parents bedroom and jump on their bed between them screaming - in the middle of the night at random times. Thrash around a lot - "get them off of me!!"

Get them breakfast, and place live spiders on their food... then scream louder when they scream, kick the food tray, make a mess.

These are but a few ways to avoid living in the basement for years to come...

Bug bomb the basement, overkill 5x - place on all 4 corners 10 ft out with spout facing toward walls and 5th can designed to have 360' coverage in the middle - make sure all vent's / windows are sealed. Stay out of the basement for 30 days - whatever the doctor suggests.

Yes, get those bug bites checked out by a doctor, make it a matter of public record you are being forced to live in a spider infested basement !!

Ask your parents to live downstairs, if someone must 🙂

Good luck!

ROGTWAT
Level 7
@hmscott: LMAO!!!
ASUS G751JY | i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M | 16GB RAM | M.2 SSD + HDD | WIN 10

Korth
Level 14
I think a simple plastic baggy would keep insects from invading your laptop when it's not in use, lol.

These "big, swollen and painful bites" might indicate an allergic response to the venom. Or nasty spiders (like brown recluse, black widow, etc) which inject potent hemotoxins - rarely lethal, but the bites can definitely get ugly and can take a very long time to heal. Chances are you have only one (or perhaps a few) biting spiders living in your bedding, and they're not feeding on you but they're biting "defensively". Do your laundry, bring out the vacuum cleaner, and show no mercy!
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

NitroX
Level 10
When you buy the notebook, you also get a fine white cover which I think will do the trick of keeping bugs out of the notebook. You can also keep it inside your backpack (with the zippers sealed) or inside a case. There are alot of ways to keep your unit insect free if your house does have a serious problem with them.
I wouldn't recommend over using those toxic sprays as they could also affect the quality of the indoor air. If you are going to use them, then make sure to read the instructions and do exactly as they say. That's all for today.

Happy insect-free gaming 🙂 !

GottiBoi55
Level 10
@hmscott: ROFL

Show no mercy, and take no prisoners!!!
OMG!!!

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

tului
Level 7
I know they're "beneficial" but I'd set off 4 of those bug bombs every day for about 3 days in a row, even if it's only a 3mx3m room. Wash my sheets in Permethrin and like others said, a bag for the lappie. Or set it to folding when you're not using it so it stays hot.