New ROGer Array

Question Fan Splitters for Maximus VII GENE

I'm about to build a new computer inside a Corsair Obsidian 350D case and I'm wondering about the specifications for the "CHA_FAN" headers featured in the Maximus VII GENE. I'd like to know more about those because I'd like to make use of all the space the case provides. With five(5) fan mounting spots and only three(3) "CHA_FAN" headers I find the need to use fan splitters in order to acomodate all the fans. I'd prefer not to use a fan controller nor a MOLEX to 3-pin connector.

As far as the manual goes:

"The 'CPU_FAN' connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12 W) fan power."
    Reading over the internet I found some people saying that the fan headers provide a maximum of 1A, but since that's not specified anywhere in the manual I'm not sure what to believe. I've also read that all "CHA_FAN" headers combined amount to a maximum of 2A (source). Does anyone have any information regarding the "CHA_FAN" headers on this motherboard?

I'm thinking about connecting the two front ones (AF140 Quiet) to "CHA_FAN1" and the two top ones (AF140 Quiet) to "CHA_FAN2". A single (AF120 Quiet) fan would go to "CHA_FAN3" and another (SP120 PWM Performance) to "CPU_FAN".

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASUS_Fans.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	49256

The Corsair website provides information about the specific power draw for each fan:

That's a total of 0.66A (0.40 + 0.08 + 0.18) and as far as I understand, it seems pretty safe. Is it safe? What do you think?

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ASnakeNeverDies; 05-14-2015 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Reduce background white value of attached image to RGB (200,200,200).

New ROGer Array

Question New post after original got deleted somehow.

My original post somehow dissapeared and I made the mistake of not saving it anywhere else. So this is a rushed version of that original one!

I'm about to build a new computer inside of a Corsair Obsidian 350D and I'd like to make use of all five(5) fan mounting spots the case offers. Since the Maximus VII Gene motherboard only features three(3) CHA_FAN headers, I find the need to make use of fan splitters in order to accommodate all the fans. For that particular reason I'd like to know more about those headers (I'd prefer not to use fan controllers nor MOLEX to 3-pin connectors). Does anyone have any information about the fan headers on this motherboard?

This is as far as the manual goes regarding fan header capabilities:

"The CPU_FAN connector supports the CPU fan of maximum 1A (12 W) fan power."
    I'm thinking about connecting the fans like this:

CHA_FAN1 AF140 Quiet Edition (x2)
    CHA_FAN2 AF140 Quiet Edition (x2)
    CHA_FAN3 AF120 Quiet Edition
    CPU_FAN SP120 PWM Performance
    CPU_OPT N/A

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ASUS_Fans.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	49260

The Corsair website provides information about the power draw for each fan:

That's a total of 0.66A (0.40 + 0.08 + 0.18) and as I understand, that seems safe. Is it safe? What do you think?

Thanks for reading!
    Last edited by ASnakeNeverDies; 05-15-2015 at 12:19 AM. Reason: Adding links and stuff.

Moderator Array Nate152 PC Specs
    Nate152 PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Maximus IX Code
    Processori7-7700k 5.2GHz Delidded
    Memory (part number)16GB G.Skill Trident Z 4025MHz 17-17-17-39-2T
    Graphics Card #1Titan Xp - EKFC waterblock
    Graphics Card #2Titan Xp
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX 2015
    MonitorHP ZR30w
    Storage #1Toshiba OCZ VX500 256GB
    CPU CoolerSwiftech Apogee GTZ
    CaseThermaltake Armor+ VH6000
    Power SupplyEVGA Supernova 1600w Titanium
    Keyboard Cyberpower Skorpion K2
    Mouse Razer Basilisk
    Headset Sennheiser HD6XX / Modmic 5
    OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit
    Accessory #1 Asus optical drive
    Accessory #2 Koolance ERM-2K3U

Hello ASnakeNeverDies and welcome

I saw your first thread and the reason it got deleted was you didn't have anything posted in it.

As for your fan configuration that looks good, you could put up to 4 of those fans on one chassis header.

Build away !

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Nate152 View Post
    Hello ASnakeNeverDies and welcome
    Hi there Nate152! I'm very glad to now be a part of this community.

I saw your first thread and the reason it got deleted was you didn't have anything posted in it.
    What's curious about that is that it wasn't the thread that got deleted but the actual post. I'm not sure what I did. :S

As for your fan configuration that looks good, you could put up to 4 of those fans on one chassis header.
    That's what I thought but needed some more confirmation, thank you for taking the time to help me!

Build away !
    Can't wait!