cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT beer spilled all over...

HazGra
Level 7
Hi! Last night my ROG drank it's first glass of beer (let's hope it's the last one). Now it is working which is great but the buttons at the triangle between F8, space and shadowplay kinda stuck. I am looking forward to clean it, so i got a couple of questions:
1. Are the motherboard an the other parts isolated from the keyboard? Waterproofing or something like that?
2. Can i clean it myself? Is the keyboard easy accessible?
3. Will my garancy keep if i open it? I haven't seen any guaranty patches on the outside...
Thanks in advance for all responses
13 REPLIES 13

ROGTWAT
Level 7
Yes, you will lose your warranty upon opening anything other than the service hatch on the bottom of the chassis.
ASUS G751JY | i7-4720HQ | GTX 980M | 16GB RAM | M.2 SSD + HDD | WIN 10

HazGra wrote:
Hi! Last night my ROG drank it's first glass of beer (let's hope it's the last one). Now it is working which is great but the buttons at the triangle between F8, space and shadowplay kinda stuck. I am looking forward to clean it, so i got a couple of questions:
1. Are the motherboard an the other parts isolated from the keyboard? Waterproofing or something like that?
2. Can i clean it myself? Is the keyboard easy accessible?
3. Will my garancy keep if i open it? I haven't seen any guaranty patches on the outside...
Thanks in advance for all responses

ROGTWAT wrote:
Yes, you will lose your warranty upon opening anything other than the service hatch on the bottom of the chassis.

HazGra, first, buy more Beer!! 🙂

Turn off your laptop and stop using it for now. Pull the internal drives to preserve the data / back it up.

The G750's have sealed tops, so a keyboard replacement is worst case.

The G751's aren't sealed on top, so liquid can drip all sorts of places, and it may take a little time to affect a problem. It's best to turn it off and dry it out and then send it for RMA.

Asus has an accident coverage that should cover liquid spills, ask them:

https://vip.asus.com <= create a login, register your laptop, file a Technical Inquiry asking Asus for help recovering your laptop integrity - ask for an RMA to fix the liquid spill (no need to mention Beer).

BTW, for my G750's the included white keyboard paper cover is liquid resistant - liquid beads up on it (test yours off the laptop to make sure it is too). I have tipped a beer onto the G750JH, but that sheet repelled the beer and a quick 2 handed grab of the sheet and tipping it into a trash can saved the laptop. I rinsed off the white sheet and it is still in use today. It keeps dust and debris out of the keyboard.

I don't use the built in keyboard/trackpad for this reason, keeping spills and crumbs and grease off the laptop. After years of wearing out keyboards and replacing them at $100 a pop, I realized an external wired/wireless keyboard is best.

Please come back and let us know how it works out. 🙂

Thank you for your fast reply. I am now awaiting response from Asus. Btw will this affect my guarantee because i also have the black screen problem if you are familiar with it. I thought i could bring it to RMA for this problem but now i don't know if they are going to recognize it as their fault and not consequence of the spill.

P.S. It was my stupid, high friends beer to whom i told two times not to place there. Gotta send him back to England to work for a new one 😉

HazGra wrote:
Thank you for your fast reply. I am now awaiting response from Asus. Btw will this affect my guarantee because i also have the black screen problem if you are familiar with it. I thought i could bring it to RMA for this problem but now i don't know if they are going to recognize it as their fault and not consequence of the spill.
P.S. It was my stupid, high friends beer to whom i told two times not to place there. Gotta send him back to England to work for a new one 😉

HazGra, the black screen problem is independent, but make sure to mention both issues on the RMA request so they know there are 2 problems to fix.

Yup, friends with beer and a place to spill, are strongly drawn to each other 🙂

For parties, I used to have a corner of the entry room cordoned off with bright tape, with a sign that said, Please Spill Drinks Here... surprisingly it worked.

Drink spill karma is strong, fear for your friend and his expensive electronic devices... 😉

Well it was just a LAN party, but we often drink at those, so i better think of more space for the guests than the cofee table and the desk...
In any case I'll try the "spill zone" option, at least sounds fun 😄

Clintlgm
Level 14
Was it your beer you shared with your notebook?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

HazGra
Level 7
"Thank you for contacting ASUS. I am sorry you are experiencing difficulties with your device.
Unfortunately notebook products are not protected against spills and accidental damage unless stated otherwise. Byspilling liquids on your notebook, this will have voided the warranty. We aplogise for this inconvenience."

What is the meaning of this?!? I don't have warranty now?

Yes is you didn't sign up for the 1 years Accidental insurance. Your buddy that spilled that beer owes you a new computer. Sorry I just noticed where your from. The Accidental insurance may not have been available to you. So I guess you'll be looking real hard at the buddy.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ELZZZORRO
Level 7
In regards to the laptop black screen; Did you set the refresh rate higher than 60 hz?