cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G751 - Notice Anything Missing?

lectric
Level 7
Hello All. We have several Asus products in our home and have never had any issues whatsoever with any of them.

Recently I was in the market for a gaming laptop and decided on a G751. Well, I received my new 751JT-CH71 yesterday. I decided on this model because I have several new SSD's including an M.2 that I was planning on installing. This morning I opened up the machine to make sure everything was in order and I found this:

I'm very disappointed in Asus QC and will now have to go through the lengthy RMA process. I could just install a SATA III SSD however I really want the M.2 Speed. Not to mention a brand new top line laptop should not have missing internals.
11 REPLIES 11

lectric
Level 7
I contacted Asus CS and was on the phone for over an hour, only for them to tell me that I don't know what I'm talking about. The supervisor said that they couldn't help me and referred me to an email address to submit a ticket. I can't get over how unprofessional they were. I emailed the address I was given and attached photos.

Does anyone here know of other customer service channels that may help me get this resolved? A brand new laptop should not be missing interface ports...

chrsplmr
Level 18
Lectric - Welcome to ROG.
Received from ??? Return ??? .c.

chrsplmr wrote:
Lectric - Welcome to ROG.
Received from ??? Return ??? .c.

Thank you for the welcome. It was purchased from Newegg and they have stated that if defective, etc it must be handled through Asus. I've never had a problem with them, however I've never received defective merchandise from Newegg either. Apparently this is normal for Newegg.

hmscott
Level 12
lectric wrote:
Hello All. We have several Asus products in our home and have never had any issues whatsoever with any of them.

Recently I was in the market for a gaming laptop and decided on a G751. Well, I received my new 751JT-CH71 yesterday. I decided on this model because I have several new SSD's including an M.2 that I was planning on installing. This morning I opened up the machine to make sure everything was in order and I found this:

I'm very disappointed in Asus QC and will now have to go through the lengthy RMA process. I could just install a SATA III SSD however I really want the M.2 Speed. Not to mention a brand new top line laptop should not have missing internals.

lectric, it isn't defective, you purchased a model without the M.2 PCIE x4 SSD, so you aren't guaranteed a socket for adding your own M.2 PCIE x4 SSD

There has been much discussion here in the forums about this, with some people reporting they have the connector soldered in even though they didn't get a configuration that included an M.2 PCIE x4 SSD, and many others like yourself that didn't get the M.2 PCIE x4 socket.

The reports in the beginning were that only JY models included the M.2 PCIE x4 socket if you didn't get a bundled M.2 PCIE x4 SSD, but then reports started coming in that the JY's were also shipping without the M.2 PCIE x4 connector if the configuration didn't include an M.2 PCIE x4 SSD.

Now I think we need to assume we won't get the M.2 PCIE x4 connector if we don't order a configuration with an M.2 PCIE x4 SSD, and if we end up getting luck of the draw and get an M.2 PCIE x4 connector when we aren't expecting it, it will be a pleasant surprise 🙂

hmscott wrote:
lectric, it isn't defective, you purchased a model without the M.2 PCIE x4 SSD, so you aren't guaranteed a socket for adding your own M.2 PCIE x4 SSD

There has been much discussion here in the forums about this, with some people reporting they have the connector soldered in even though they didn't get a configuration that included an M.2 PCIE x4 SSD, and many others like yourself that didn't get the M.2 PCIE x4 socket.

The reports in the beginning were that only JY models included the M.2 PCIE x4 socket if you didn't get a bundled M.2 PCIE x4 SSD, but then reports started coming in that the JY's were also shipping without the M.2 PCIE x4 connector if the configuration didn't include an M.2 PCIE x4 SSD.

Now I think we need to assume we won't get the M.2 PCIE x4 connector if we don't order a configuration with an M.2 PCIE x4 SSD, and if we end up getting luck of the draw and get an M.2 PCIE x4 connector when we aren't expecting it, it will be a pleasant surprise 🙂

Hi. Thanks for this information. During my research in upgrading the 751 with an SSD, I didn't read anything like this. All that I read must have been from the lucky ones who happened to get an M.2 board. Do you have an y links to said threads as I searched for this issue before my OP and was not able too find anything similar.

Asus has subsequently contacted me and stated that the JT models should all have native M.2 support. I am awaiting a resolution and will update as soon as I hear back from the escalation department.

OCFreak
Level 7
I tired to find some of the topics, but they are drowned in other threads. Seen at least two threads the last month or so, so this is not uncommon. Seems only G751JY will always have the connector (yes even the G751JY models without m.2 SSD), other G751 (JT/JM) models might not have it.

ciccio80
Level 9
lectric wrote:

Have the same problem with my G751JY (Italian). The notebook came without the M.2 connector. Unfortunately all my email / tickets to Asus were to no use, they first refused to even aknowledge the problem. Only athe the end of like 7-8 emails, (when I send them pictures of other italian G751JY bougt WITHOUT PCIe SSD but that had the M.2 connector) they only said it's all "as it should be".

The loss of the M.2 connector is a small problem overall (modern SSD SATA3 are ok). But the way Asus handeled this,sending test units out to internet sites to be testet, ALL WITH M.2 conectors of course to get high ratings, and then start selling G751units minus the connector WITHOUT specifiing that you "might not get it if you don't tale the M.2 SSD in the first place"

The funny thing is the "you MIGHT not get it" part. I don't think that is even a legal argument. ALL G751Jy should have the same motherboard components, including the M.2 connector, wheter We are using it or not.

P.S. The circuits seem to be there on the motherboard. Does someone know if there is a place where we can buy a compatible M.2 connector and if it is possible to solder it to the motherboard by ourselfs?

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
My g751jt comes with the connector, i was not expecting it.

joshindaphils
Level 11
While I agree it is a bit crappy for Asus to pinch pennies on not including the socket... frankly though if it is not advertized as having an M.2 socket then you received what you paid for. If your retailer advertised the unit as having an M.2 socket then demand a replacement, return, or rebate on the grounds of false advertizing.

I would imagine that soldering on an M.2 connector would work, I would also 'imagine' your warranty would be voided. Such things are typically sold in bulk. If you google "SMT M.2 connector" you can find many suppliers, I've had luck in the past ordering such things by requesting / purchasing production samples from suppliers (sometimes requires a bit of social engineering). As well you might buy something cheap you can scavenge from e.g. http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=&SearchText=m.2