cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 970 reference models

Kamelox
Level 7
Hi

Could someone give me maybe a list of all GTX 970 models, which fit into the G20AJ. I've recently seen just a list of the 980 models, but not of the 970 ones.

Thanks in advance
8 REPLIES 8

GoHack
Level 8
Here is Nvidia's Specs for their standard reference design GTX 970, including a picture. This is for a standard, non-overclocked card.

Many companies, w/a few exceptions, buy the reference card from Nvidia, and sell it under their own name.

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/desktop-gpus/geforce-gtx-970/specifications
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

The PNY model should work. I'm running a PNY Geforce GTX 670 in my G20, w/no issues.

The power requirement of my PNY GTX 670 is 170W, while the 970 is 145W, so your good there.

The length of my PNY 670 is 9.5 inches, while the 970 is 9.72 inches. The PNY GeForce GTX 970 is a little longer than my card, but by only a quarter of an inch. The Nividia Reference GeForce GTX 970 is 10.5" long. So I would say that you're OK here.

With the EVGA, which is an overclocked card, yet claims to require the stock wattage of 145. Even if this isn't true, as long as it stays under the 230W of the power supply, you should be OK w/it. It will put out more heat though, most likely less than my 670 though.

The EVGA is also 9.5 inches long, the same length as my 670, so you're good there.

As for the MSI model, its 26.90 cm long, or 10.59 inches, so it is longer than the Reference design.

When it comes to a stock card vs. an overclocked model, other than by benchmarking, you'll never see any performance difference.

So I would say either the PNY or the EVGA should be OK.

Plugging the card into the G20 can be a pain, due to tight clearances and the 90 degree PCIE adapter. I would recommend removing the cpu cooling fans assembly in the G20 first, in order to allow more clearance room.

Be careful, not only are the mounting screws small, and easy to misplace, but the wiring is also very thin, especially those for powering the case lights.

Good Luck.
. ROG Zephyrus GA401QM (Q14) Laptop, AMD Ryzen 9 5900H CPU; Nvidia RTX 3060 GPU; 24 GB DDR4 (1x8 GB, 1x16); 1 TB Samsung Pro980 M.2 SSD; Windows 10 Pro

Thanks for your help!

I have the last question:

So I've opened my ROG and saw 1x 8pin 2x 6pin pci, fine with that. But I've currently a gtx 750 which doesn't need any of these pci things, but one of the 2 6 pins are used. So the gtx 970 needs 2 of the 6 pins, right? Do I need to change something? Here some pics about what I mean.

Edit: Would it work if I "turn" the 8pin thing with an adapter in a 6 pin one? With something like this?: http://www.amazon.com/Manhattan-8-Inch-6-Pin-PCI-E-8-Pin/dp/B002SZ45BU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=143189...

The 8 pin can be split (by hand doesn't even need a knife) into a 6 and 2 pin. This is how i hooked up by 970 last month (2x 6 pins)
I just upgraded to the GTX 980 3 days ago, so the 2x 6 pins are still working just fine, but I ordered a new 6 pin so i can save a little space (fitting those two wires under the lip of the case is hard enough without that stray 2 pin getting in the way.

As pointed out by edmak1804, the eight pin can be used as a six. The two pin is snapped onto the six, making it an eight.

Again, it is tight to work in there, so removing the fan assembly, the one shown in your second photo, will give you a little more room

By the way, what power supply(s) have you got, the 180W and/or 230W? You will need them both in order to run the GeForce GTX 970.

Note: If your system came w/only one power supply, there's a jumper on the motherboard which will need to be changed, right next to the power supply plugs in the back of the motherboard. Move the Jumper from the back and middle pin, to the middle and front one.

Finally, if you look on the inside of your computer case cover, there may be a metal grill covering the vent for your video card. Your GeForce GTX 970 will need more air for cooling than the 750 did, so remove it. It is held on w/one screw I believe.

I've currently the 230W supply, but I've ordered the 180W supply.

So for the 6PIN - I have currently 2x 6pin cables (one is used for sth.) and 1x 8pin cable. So can I use the 8pin cable for the 6pin adapter?

GoHack wrote:
The PNY model should work. I'm running a PNY Geforce GTX 670 in my G20, w/no issues.

The power requirement of my PNY GTX 670 is 170W, while the 970 is 145W, so your good there.

The length of my PNY 670 is 9.5 inches, while the 970 is 9.72 inches. The PNY GeForce GTX 970 is a little longer than my card, but by only a quarter of an inch. The Nividia Reference GeForce GTX 970 is 10.5" long. So I would say that you're OK here.

With the EVGA, which is an overclocked card, yet claims to require the stock wattage of 145. Even if this isn't true, as long as it stays under the 230W of the power supply, you should be OK w/it. It will put out more heat though, most likely less than my 670 though.

The EVGA is also 9.5 inches long, the same length as my 670, so you're good there.

As for the MSI model, its 26.90 cm long, or 10.59 inches, so it is longer than the Reference design.

When it comes to a stock card vs. an overclocked model, other than by benchmarking, you'll never see any performance difference.

So I would say either the PNY or the EVGA should be OK.

Plugging the card into the G20 can be a pain, due to tight clearances and the 90 degree PCIE adapter. I would recommend removing the cpu cooling fans assembly in the G20 first, in order to allow more clearance room.

Be careful, not only are the mounting screws small, and easy to misplace, but the wiring is also very thin, especially those for powering the case lights.

Good Luck.

Hi again!

So, tomorrow will be the purchase day! I've just bought the 180W adapter, so I just need the gpu.

To be sure, which of these 2 cards would you prefer?

1. (PNY) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814133564&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Ju...

or

2. (Gainward) http://www.microspot.ch/msp/de/pc-komponenten/grafikkarten/gainward-geforce-gtx-970-grafikkarten-gf-...

I'd be happy, if you can tell me your opinion. 🙂

Have a good one!