cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ARES IV Radeon R9 390X2

noo7na7
Level 7
I want you guys to release the ARES IV Radeon R9 390X2 sometime in July or August (after the regular 390X). Specs will be the following:
17.5TFlops (up from 8.6TFlops from the regular 390X (or whatever double the 390X + 300GFlops more)
Whatever double the regular 390X bits wide I/O (HBM memory)
16GB HBM (AMD confirmed that the 390X regular will have 8GB HBM)
8192 stream processors
I want it to look just like the ARES III, except, the ARES logo will be in the bottom left or right, and the middle will have an ASUS logo with the ROG icon in the left.
8 REPLIES 8

Nate152
That would be a super gpu wouldn't it?? Seeing how the 390x isn't even here yet I wouldn't count on it in july if they even make one.

Why not just get the titan x it has 12GB of vram. The 390x2 with 16GB of vram will still only be an 8GB gpu, 8GB for each gpu. The memory bus will be doubled but then again it's split between two gpu's.

I did see where far cry 4 was using 10GB of vram at 5k check this out if you like.

Fast forward to 8:50.

One thing I noticed his gpu usage on the first gpu was jumping up to 120%. How can you use 120% of a gpu? it's also a shame 3 titan x's can't pull 60FPS in far cry 4 at 5k.

elesde
Level 10
Doubt that AMD will make a dual GPU card with these chips when they are stuck on 28nm and already use watercooling on the top end single GPU models.
AIB partners like ASUS could make a custom card though I guess + it would probably still be cheaper than any new titan 😄

Btw. promoting NV cards with Gameworks titles is probably not the best idea, they'll go to any lengths to sabotage the competition and sometimes even their own older cards (looking at The Witcher and PCars).

elesde
Level 10
On second thought after looking through the new slides from AMD about HBM it should be much easier and cheaper to produce a dual GPU PCB based on HBM than it was for Hawaii. In the end I guess not many will care if it sucks the same or even a tad more power than a 295x2... so I would also like to see what ASUS can do with 2 of those chips 😃
The only thing that almost certainly will not be possible is custom memory sizes / bus widths since AMD sells the GPU + MEM + interposer in one package.

Vampora
Level 7
Hopefully they don't make one...... not unless they do a better job than what they did on the ares ii.....
Motherboard: Rampage v Extreme
CPU: 5930k 4.6ghz
Memory: Gskill 3000mhz 16gb
HDD: Samsung 250gb 840 (x3)
GPU: Ares II
Case: CaseLabs TX10-V
Custom Cooling Loop
Power Supply: EVGA 1600w T2

Vlada011
Level 10
Maybe and I back on Radeon cards.
If I decide that I will choose some ASUS model.
For exactly 6 days AMD should present their new card but I don't have impression that they could surpise with some huge performance imrovements.

sebbie
Level 7
Hope they make one, would not hesitate to buy one!!

Vlada011
Level 10
I suggest ASUS to pay attention and try to get good samples AMD R9-390X.
They could design R9-390X 8GB Matrix Platinum 100MHz OC.
Some rumors say AMD offer that card under 400$. For 400$/400e that could be good option for CF.
Why not? I would first thought to immediately replace my GTX780Ti with 3GB for that card. Only little improved over R9-290X new R9-390X 8GB could offer exactly same performance as GTX780Ti only with 8GB and option to install one more. Than that will be serious setup stronget than crippled GTX980Ti with 2GB more memory and good number of NVIDIA customers will decide probably to go on that version. Many of them who are dissapointed with GTX970 mess and people who used on normal price and normal cards, not crippled and every year 100-150e more for single graphic card.
NVIDIA no excuse, Intel is much stronger than AMD, than GeForce from Radeon but Intel didn't ask double for 4790K compare to 2600K or 3770K.
All of their processors are same price or 10-15% more, no matter where you look, extreme was 1000 and now is 1000. From other side GF110 is used for premium card GTX580 and for Tesla, she cost 450e, and now successor of that card cost 1200e and even NVIDIA have so much confidence that they made Tesla from GK100/GK210 Kepler and next will be Pascal. Maxwell will not see Tesla.

I think it might me Fury X2 .... Ares IV 🙂