cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Solved) G551JM 9 or 9.5mm caddy bay

scscid
Level 7
I have Asus G551JM. When I go to Device Manager, I can see the Mas*hita dvd-ram UJ8G6 installed. After I tried to search all web pages for days, I could not find any site mentioning this laptop has 9mm bay size, only 9.5mm. Official "Asus Laptop Upgrade" page does not specifiy anything either. Also, this dvd-ram has 9.5mm size based on specifications from all web sites I found.

So I decided to buy a 9.5mm hdd caddy bay and 1TB HDD, but when I tried to replace the dvd drive, I found out that it does not fit. Also, by manually measuring the "Mash*ita dvd-ram UJ8G6", I found out that it only has 9mm size. Are there actually more versions of the same dvd-ram / laptop? Has anyone successfully installed 9.5 hdd caddy bay to G551JM?

Also, does anyone know some (international, not just US) eshop selling 9mm hdd caddy bays? I can't find any even on ebay. Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

nettto
Level 7
Where is it not fitting, specifically? 9.5 caddy worked for me on my GL551J. Its not pretty but it works https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57152-GL551J-EH71-OD-hard-drive-caddy-write-up&p=471696#po...

vacs
Level 7
I currently took apart the 9.5mm caddy and fixed it in until I find a 9mm caddy...I really hope that someone would make a 9mm caddy soon

scscid
Level 7
nettto: your laptop is GL551J, which is a different model and based on the pictures, it seems it is harder to open than mine.

I have fixed the problem:
The HDD Caddy Bay I bought was a "cheap" 8€ one that was assembled somewhere in China, so it seems I had a faulty piece. In the front side there was a part that was elevated by about 0.5mm and shouldn't be. I had to disassemble the caddy and use a hammer to manually straighten it (it doesn't look great, but now it has a correct size, even though the front side of the cover near the SATA connector is curved inwards a bit).

After fixing the caddy I managed to fit it in my laptop, even though it wasn't as smooth as my old DVD drive - there is some friction now. I think the 9.5mm DVD was really smaller than 9.5mm. I could also pull the cover from DVD and connect it to the back of the Caddy.