cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Build of older Stuff Problem

Need-To-Know
Level 8
So I had an old ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME motherboard with a 2600k processor sitting around along with a Asus 7950 video card.
I decided to rebuild the system to use as a test platform.

When I took the components apart (a few years ago) they were working fine. I even kept the processor in the slot and never removed it.
Everything was stored in their original packaging.

Recently I bought a new case,
Power supply: (SeaSonic S12II 620 Bronze),
Ram: (Mushkin Enhanced Redline 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 UDIMM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900)

Put new compound on the cooler and processor.

Problem:
Everything built but when I click the power button everything lights up for about 1 second then stops.
Lights for the motherboard (logo and small light) stay on.
If I press power again nothing happens. If I cut off the power supply and "reset" it I have the same problem - power for a second then nothing.

Where should I start? Is this indicative of something specific, like bad component? Wrong Ram maybe...?

I took it all apart again and made sure it is setup correctly.

Thanks for any help. 1st time I have ran into this on a build.
i7 4930k - Rampage IV Black Edition, CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB, EVGA GTX 780 Classified Three 27" Screens, Obsidian 800D, COOLER MASTER 1000w Gold Series, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x -WD 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb 64mb cache 2x - VelociRaptor 10000 rpm, ASUS Xonar Essence STX / Windows 7 Ultimate 64
8 REPLIES 8

Need-To-Know
Level 8
Whoops should have posted this in the MAXIMUS section of the forums...

Feel free to move me - Sorry
i7 4930k - Rampage IV Black Edition, CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB, EVGA GTX 780 Classified Three 27" Screens, Obsidian 800D, COOLER MASTER 1000w Gold Series, Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 2x -WD 750GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb 64mb cache 2x - VelociRaptor 10000 rpm, ASUS Xonar Essence STX / Windows 7 Ultimate 64

Nate152
Hello Need-To-Know

It shouldn't be your ram, I see the Mushikin redline ram bundled with the maximus iv extreme.

http://www.ramexperts.com/asus-maximus-iv-extreme-motherboard-cpu-and-ram-bundle-w-free-mushkin-base...

Double check all your power connections.

From the symptoms you describe maybe try another psu and if you still have the problem remove your 7950 and try with the onboard graphics.

Need-To-Know
Level 8
Thanks Nate!

Yeah I actually grabbed a couple of ram sticks off of my Black last night and tested. You are right the Ram did not change anything.

I do not have a spare psu around and do not want to remove the one on my Black system.

I did remove pretty much everything (component wise -including the 7950) nothing changes at all. Check plugs/connections many many times.

I think you are right on the bad psu. I was thinking the same thing but do not have a tester. Ashamed as this is my first Seasonic - I had heard good things about them. Going to return it today.

Help is much appreciated.

Will update when new psu arrives.

Nate152
The bronze psu's are budget psu's and are not the best choice for a high end machine, try to go with at least a gold rated psu if you can.

It could be a motherboard problem too but let's hope it is the psu and not the motherboard. Please come back and let us know if a new psu gets you going.

Well Bummer... I waited all of this time for a power supply replacement and got it yesterday.
Put everything back together again today and exactly the same problem.
So that pretty much rules out a power supply problem. My guess now is a bad motherboard.

Oh well. It was just going to be a secondary system.

Nate152 wrote:
The bronze psu's are budget psu's and are not the best choice for a high end machine, try to go with at least a gold rated psu if you can.

It could be a motherboard problem too but let's hope it is the psu and not the motherboard. Please come back and let us know if a new psu gets you going.

Yeah I just had the motherboard, processor, video card and cooler sitting in boxes so I dropped a couple of hundred to get a "budget" system running.
Funny thing, after paying return shipping I pretty much could have bought a gold.

And yeah I need to get a power supply tester since they are cheap. just be good to have around.

I wonder how you test a motherboard...? It was working great when I replaced it.

GabrielKnight
Level 7
Hay Need-To-Know I have one of these PSU testers :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20-24-pin-Power-Supply-Tester-for-ATX-SATA-HDD-Black-WS-/321707687516?pt=...

problem is not the price $5.28 but (correct me if im wrong) the tester doesn't put the SPU into full load so it isn't as accurate a reading, I have one and so far it has been good and accurate.

Nate152
Does the motherboard give you a code at all?

Try clearing the cmos with the button on the back of the motherboard, power down your pc and hold that button in for 3 seconds then try booting.

Nate152 wrote:
Does the motherboard give you a code at all?

Try clearing the cmos with the button on the back of the motherboard, power down your pc and hold that button in for 3 seconds then try booting.

Thanks Nate. No codes - it never gets that far.

When I press the power button fans turn on for 1 sec then stop. All of the motherboard lights (logo etc.) stay on. If I press the power button a second time nothing.
I have to turn off the power switch on the psu wait a few and turn it back on then I can get the 1 sec fan turn on again and nothing else.

I did clear the cmos - same effect.

Removed everything
vid card
Hard drives
different ram
front panel plugs
The power and reset wires are plugged in correct
MB removed from the case test

Always same result.

I think this one may end up on top of all of the other old computer cases in the corner until I decide to buy another motherboard.
Just do not want to spend any more money on it.

I appreciate you gave responses Nate.