cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Boot Manager

gamer79
Level 7
Maybe someone has answered this and im just not seeing it. Ive swapped out the HDD to the evo SSD. Right now its now in bay 1, and the old HDD is in bay 2. It auto boots to the old HDD in bay 2. I went into the BIOS and went to boot order, it shows windows boot manager and points to the old HDD. How can i get this to change. Is it really as simple as just changing the drive, or in msconfig and pointing to the new one and removing the original. In BIOS the only boot device other than USB/CD-DVD is just windows boot manager. I want it to fully boot to the SSD without having to choose prior to wiping the old HDD and using it as a full drive. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Clintlgm
Level 14
Yes put the old hard driver in a USB external case or USB to SATA adapter, Use Macrium Reflect free to clone hard drive to SSD.
For what you have right now try hitting the Esc key on boot up you should get a boot menu select your SSD it it boots then shut down and remove your old hard driver put the ssd in the 1 slot and boot up again using the Esc key select your SSD that should set it as default boot device. Reboot again if it boots good you have that fixed/solved.
Now put your old hard drive in a external case or USB to SATA adapter and make it in active Use something like MiniTool Partition Wizard. Delete the windows folder or at least change it to window.old
You can put it back in your notebook and use it for data.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Yes put the old hard driver in a USB external case or USB to SATA adapter, Use Macrium Reflect free to clone hard drive to SSD.
For what you have right now try hitting the Esc key on boot up you should get a boot menu select your SSD it it boots then shut down and remove your old hard driver put the ssd in the 1 slot and boot up again using the Esc key select your SSD that should set it as default boot device. Reboot again if it boots good you have that fixed/solved.
Now put your old hard drive in a external case or USB to SATA adapter and make it in active Use something like MiniTool Partition Wizard. Delete the windows folder or at least change it to window.old
You can put it back in your notebook and use it for data.

Wanted to say thanks for this. New to the ASUS UEFI and windows boot manager combo. This worked 100% once i found out the location of ASUS' clone software was moved :). Up and running at full speed, thanks!

thanks for letting us know how it all came out.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro