cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

obsolete video card straight of shelf!

mickabah
Level 7
hi there
I was looking around for a new gaming laptop to replace my aging asus, it needs to be powerful enough too
last me a good 2-3 years of gaming. I love the asus high end gaming laptops and my old one has been great to me.
but I was surprised that the best asus laptop uses a very low spec graphics card, I know that the gtx 980m is the newest
gpu available but to limit it to only 4 gb vram is very restricting and would struggle to play todays games on full graphics
let alone games in 6 months, 1 year 2 years time.
the competitors all sport the same gtx 980m gpu with a minimum 8 gb and even more have the sli version with 16gb vram.
I know 16gb is more than what is needed and sli technology creates extra problems, but I don't see why asus would not give the option? especially given their amazing cooling system compared to the competition.

they must have their reasons for staying out of the top end laptop market but It just has me a bit disappointed that I might have to spend my money on a less impressive brand.

is there any way to custom build an asus laptop to put in hardware that I would require.
or are there any known plans for asus to upgrade their gpu and such in future?

thank you in advance
1 REPLY 1

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
There will be a new line announced at Computex early next month. As for the SLI setup in G Series lappies? never gonna happen as they will require bigger PSU's, thicker shell and more cooling, plus, limited sales to boot. So from the most likely low sales for an SLI laptop, it's not worth the hassle to ASUS to design, build and sell them. And honestly, if you want an SLI setup, just build a desktop.