cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB problem

PieruN
Level 7
Hi
The problem is that I can not copy larger files on the pendrive.
When i start copying the pendrive dissaperas or its copys forever.
I tested 6 pendrives, 4 such cases (sticks are working without problem on other computers).
It seems to me that it started to happen for a couple of months ago when the mouse periodically dissconnected
(still hangs several times an hour, plugged into the USB). Any ideas what this could be?
10 REPLIES 10

Margus
Level 7
Try to use problematic usb devices behind usb hub if its still drop behind then stick is faulty or too old in bios is setting smart auto for HCI I tself not sure whay usb devices drop but i had past same issues its far better now but yeah its weird.

PieruN
Level 7
Didnt help ;(

Margus
Level 7
That sux because i got fixed my usb issues on other way but its risky seems that you have corrupt ME also in bios chip 1 thing you can try is go to local pcrepair and ask new flashed bios chip from asus. The other way is more risky by doing with programmer itself programmer cost 6-20 euros same mutch as chip from asus. And there is no quarantee that after its still work. Bioschip itself not under warranty even if something happens with it.

If you want todo itself pm me its not nice to talk about it here.

1 thing check if memory sticks not faulty.

But its smell same waht happend to me if i did first bios flash to my new board.
Or rma board and case over.

Korth
Level 14
An external USB hub is a good idea. Especially if it's self-powered, with some kind of plug-in power adapter, not drawing downstream power from the USB controller (like every other USB device does).

Disconnect any USB devices which aren't critical (ie, keyboard and mouse and one removable drive), and plug each USB device into its own dedicated USB controller (that is, only use one of each "pair" of USB ports) to maximize USB stability. This is especially helpful if you use keyboard/mouse interfaces with high USB polling rates.

You may have a misconfigured BIOS setting which operates newer USB controllers in a "legacy" mode. If so, Windows won't load USB drivers at startup, only "as needed", which means that the OS software will impose its own rules and "logic" onto what should be a direct hardware interface.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

koroziv
Level 9
So what should we use in bios settings ? Not home now and I have no ideea what options we have there. I also have a lot of issues with mouse dropping dead, mostly when gaming, and that is so frustrating and annoying... Changed the mouse but I still have problems; same thing happened with my older system, with an older asus gene mainboard.

Nate152
Hello koroziv

In the bios on the advanced tab, usb configuration, check to see that xHCI is set to smart auto if you still have the problem try disabling xHCI.

koroziv
Level 9
Thanks, will try that when I get home; I remember that a few days ago I needed to put some files on a usb flsah drive and took a very long time, about 30 minutes for 2.5 Gb, 4 files... Also I always have problems with recognizing my phones, with adb drivers, my keyboard acts weird at times (I'm strafing in games after I release all keys).

Nate152
Along with setting xHCI you could install the latest chipset driver if you haven't and try a bios update.

koroziv
Level 9
Already have those, as far as I know, but I'll check for that to. I don't think that to be the cause, I've been through multiple bios/chipset versions with no changes to better or worst. I also had issues on my previous build, another asus mobo; on that older pc changing usb ports never helped, I always blamed the mouse and the games... Never looked at the bios settings, mostly because the problems started after years of using the same hardware and settings with no issues.
EDIT
In bios I have legacy and xhci enabled; using autosmart something; I changed the usb port, still the mouse drops in game(bf4, logitech g9x and some zalman)