cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a G73SW for cheap

sholuck
Level 7
Ok, so i am getting a G73SW from someone on craigslist. I am getting it for 175 dollars. The reason it is so cheap is because it will not power on. I have done some looking around and have come to the conclusion that it could be one of 3 things; The battery, The charger, or the motherboard. Does anyone have any more info that might be useful in fixing this computer? I am quite sure that i can fix it, but i just want to know the most likely place i should start troubleshooting. Thanks in advance.
Motherboard--Crosshair v Formula Z
CPU--------- AMD FX 8350(stock clock)
Video Cards----ASUS 7970 HD DC2-3GD5 x2
RAM---------AMD RADEON 16 GB
POWER SUPPLY-CORSAIR AX 850 PRO
STORAGE----- WD GREEN 320 GB
BACK UP DRIVE 320 GB (MORE WILL BE ADDED)
OPERATING SYSTEM--WINDOWS 8.1 PRO
CHASSIS-------THERMALTAKE LEVEL 10 GT
3 REPLIES 3

billyray520
Level 10
That is cheap! the SW is a really good notebook too! I bought one used from Ebay a year or so ago, and it has been excellent. It's slightly better than my G73jh, except it doesn't have the blue led glowing under the screen. Otherwise, the Nvidia card runs cool and fast. I also was able to add a new battery to it.

Not coming on does sound like a power problem of some sort. You'll have to get into your hands and try some things first. Check the power jack for a good physical connection. That's a trouble spot. Make sure you have a good charger/power pack, or get a replacement. Good Luck!!
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

justinzon
Level 7
Sounds to good to be true.
Maybe inquire but ask allot of questions.
Why doesn't it have a battery, what happened to it?
No power supply, what did you do with it?
If you dont like the answers steer clear.
It could be hot goods also or just broken and hes already flogged the battery, which is worth quite a bit on the open market.
My advise, save your money.

C4RN1
Level 9
I'd go for it, just make sure the rest of the parts are there and they didn't gut the gpu, cpu, hdd and ram out of it.

There's a dc jack tutorial for the g73 series in my sig. If I were you I would check to make sure the board is getting power first.