cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

psu failing....possible damages??

bbaxter18
Level 7
Hey guys, first time posting. Ill start from the begining. I had a cooler master GX-II 750W PSU, and MSI 970 GPU. I noticed that the 970 had a really bad coil whine during 3Dmark ice storm benchmark, which i had never heard before, so i swapped it out to the ASUS Strix 970 GPU. I still noticed it afterward so i looked closer at my PSU. I found after start up at idle, it was floating at about 11.9 volts. During a CPU stress test i saw the voltage fluctuating at about 11.83 volts, and when i ran a Furmark Test during the CPU's stress test, i saw 11.7 volts. This was Done at stock CPU/GPU settings. So i went and picked up an the Corsair AX860 and the Fluctuating Voltage has disappeared, It is a stable 12.X now.

I was curious if the undervolting from the Coolermaster PSU, possibly caused higher current draw and damaged more than just the GPU. I know that coil whine can be caused from either crappy coils, or low amperage on the 12volt rail. I haven't been able to reach my OC's that were once stable. I have had crashes/BSOD during simple CPU/GPU benchmarks/Stress tests. I just haven't been able to figure out what I'm chasing. Could i have effected the stability of my circuitry on the MotherBoard. Its only about a week old, or possibly the CPU's stability with the integrated voltage controller?

Thanks everybody
My current set up is:

Intel 4790k
Asus maximus vii formula
Asus strix 970
Pny ssd 120gb
Corsair ax860
Evga super sc 8gb 2400 ram
Cooler master glacer v2 240l expanded to the vrm crosschill
14 REPLIES 14

sk2play
Level 13
So you have a UPS that can carry the actual AC current wattage for your PC. If not, get it and add wattage for your Cable Modem, Routers, Switches and LCD or HDTV
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

i think you misunderstood.

bbaxter18 wrote:
i think you misunderstood.

You're a scholar :rolleyes:
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit

Nate152
Hello bbaxter18, welcome to the ROG forum !

Sorry to hear you're having issues.

Try resetting the bios to defaults and start over with your overclock, let's hope your previous psu hasn't done any damage.

bbaxter18
Level 7
@sk2play - im sorry that wasn't simple enough for you to understand, i will be sure to edit my post once I'm not on mobile.

@nate152 - I've gone back to defaults, and slowly stepped up to my original OC's, failing before i reach them. I used XTU in the past and had profiles saved as well but i cannot get the pc stable when using the higher ones that were once stable. All of my gear is under warranty and the processor itself is only maybe 2 months old, all the other components are younger. Im not worried about needing to return them i just dont want to take brand new gear back that isnt truely bad. I guess what i am after is maybe some help troubleshooting to identifiy problems with the motherboard Or processor if any exist.

Nate152
All right

Have you updated to the latest Nvidia driver 352.86? This could help with the gpu crashing.

Tell me your settings you previously had for your highest cpu overclock.

Yes the latest Driver has been updated, in fact the GPU has yet to fail, I revised my OP to explain it better, but Ive had BSOD and system crashes where the system just powers off during A GPU or CPU test. My highest OC, stable enough for a benchmark using 4.8~ @ 1.32V, 102 bclk. since swapping the PSU, i'm am having trouble benching 4.7 @100 bclk.

Korth
Level 14
All PSUs drop voltage a little under load. The core ATX specification allows a a +12V tolerance of ±10% (10.8V-13.2V), but most PSU manufacturers adhere to the ATX2.x "recommendations" for a +12V tolerance of ±5% or less (11.4V-12.6V). PSUs which meet 80 Plus standards (Bronze/Gold/Silver/Platinum/Titanium) typically require better design/components which intrinsically offer tighter voltage regulation.

To be honest, any PSU these days which lacks Active PFC and can't offer (at worst) ±1% regulation is best avoided. It will be inefficient, hot, loud, and have to work harder to deliver the same power load, and the "dirty" power it outputs will be a lot more wear and tear on the (already hard-working) motherboard-integrated VRM circuitry.

I think a 750W PSU would be the minimum recommended for your listed hardware.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

bbaxter18
Level 7
The GX-II was an 80+ bronze, i only replaced it because the symptom was still there after i swapped GPU's. When i would boot to Bios, i remember seeing it at +12.1 volts then as time continued, pushing the OC, i saw it on HW monitor in bios it fall to 11. I was monitoring my 12v rail with the multimeter as i began troubleshooting with stock settings, i saw the voltage fluctuate.