Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Dnepr

Issues Installing UJ240 Panasonic BluRay Burner

I wanted to check in and see if anyone else has experienced similar problems when trying to swap out the DVD burner and replace it with a BluRay burner. I have installed a UJ240 Blu Ray burner by Mat****a (Panasonic), and it sort of works but has issues. If I try ripping a DVD movie with it using DVD Shrink, it fairly quickly errors and tells me 'Out of Memory'. If I try ripping a Blu Ray movie using DVDFAB, it rips until the very end and then doesn't finish. It ejects the Blu Ray movie like it is finished, but this is followed by Blue Screen of Death and the image file that was built is no good. I have used 2 of these UJ240 drives and both of them are doing the exact same thing. I've upgraded all drivers on my G74SX. Only other thing is that I bought it last month from Newegg as a refurbished item but it look brand new to me. I cannot think of any reason why this burner shouldn't be working just fine. I am wondering if there is some issue with my particular laptop? Anyone have any opinions or similar experiences?

Retired MOD and Reviewer Array

Welcome to the forums Dnepr

Shrink is no longer a viable program; yea it works sometimes but has not been updated for 5 years now. The author of Shrink gave up the project when he went to work for Nero and now writes their "Recode" software for them. The out of memory error can mean anything so don't pay a great deal of attention to it.

If you have not already done so, go into the device manager, right click on the DVD drive that is listed there, then select Properties, then DVD Region and there set it to the US which is Region 1.

Next thing I suggest is to also give up on FAB. Don't tell anyone I said that, LOL. I have reviewed their products for them.

Download the trial for AnyDVD HD, if you do not want to spend the cash for the BEST decryptor you can at least use the trial period to sort out your problems with the new burner.

I will try to keep an eye on this thread if you have anything else to post in the future.

Hope this helps

Oh yea, one more thing; DVDShrink will work perfectly for you everytime if you have AnyDVD running in the background.

Dnepr
    Okay, good information, but let me clarify a few things that will help.

1. I have ANYDVD licensed, but disabled on my G74 when I try to rip a BluRay with that UJ240.
    2. I have ripped hundreds of movies using DVD Shrink (latest but old version) and yes, it works perfectly with anydvd (don't know if I ever tried it much without anydvd) and it interfaces with Nero too as you know.

Here is latest development...

I removed the UJ240 from my G74 and installed it in my wife's new laptop which is a Gateway NV57H44U (I5 2nd gen). I installed DVDShrink and it ripped perfectly a DVD movie with no anydvd installed on it (I haven't burned the files yet though). Then, I installed DVDFAB (I also have a registration key for it) on wifey's computer and it is ripping a BluRay movie as I write this. But, since the G74 errored in the process right at the end, I can't say for sure at this if the BD rip will be good - but based on the success with the DVD rip using Shrink, I am very optimistic. I'm an IT person, btw, and I have observed some other strange behavior from my G74 (it is about 4-5 weeks since I got it). For example, the display driver will crap out occasionally and recover itself, and also Windows has recovered itself a few times. I don't remember the last time I had encounters with the infamous Blue Screen of Death either. Something doesn't 'feel' right.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Dnepr
    I don't have this type of WiFi in mine. I have Microsoft WiFi.

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Dnepr View Post
    I don't have this type of WiFi in mine. I have Microsoft WiFi.
    Microsoft WiFi? What is that?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

There's no generic WiFi driver, is there?
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Quote Originally Posted by JRd1st View Post
    There's no generic WiFi driver, is there?
    There could be...but I've never seen it in action. Windows does have native support for a lot of WLAN cards, so it can often detect a card during installation and automatically install the right driver. But the hardware and driver are still appropriately identified, just like when we install the driver manually. Maybe that's what he means?? I've never seen Microsoft branded NICs, wireless or otherwise.

You still there, Dnepr? You have us intrigued...!

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Could Dnepr mean the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter? See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-35c46ddb47f0/
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Could Dnepr mean the Microsoft Virtual Wifi Miniport Adapter? See http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...-35c46ddb47f0/
    Maybe....but that's still going to be a function of his WLAN driver. I'm not sure if the stock Atheros card supports virtual Wi-Fi miniports, but the Intel cards do. (In fact, it's kind of annoying that they install them by default.) But I guess that's moot if he's saying he connects that way....that would mean he's a client user of somebody else's connection, right? Anyway, if he uses a wi-fi connection, he's got to have a physical card in there and a driver installed for it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast