cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AF code, fans on max, no signal to monitor

orcinus
Level 7
My machine keeps running at max fan RPM, front panel display is useless (no error code) and I want to switch to BIOS2 boot without pulling this beast from under the desk.

How to force BIOS2 boot using power button and back panel reset button?
20 REPLIES 20

Praz
Level 13
Hello

To switch to BIOS 2 you need to use the onboard button provided for that purpose.

orcinus
Level 7
I vaguely remember there was a pattern of power button pushes for that too. Are you certain there is no such thing?

Chino
Level 15
No. The only way to switch to the second BIOS is by pressing the small, red button located on the bottom right of the motherboard. 🙂

orcinus
Level 7
It seems that neither little red button nor the circular arrow on the back or any other can change anything - machine boots to 014 then to AF code.

What does that mean and how to fix it? I've tried multiple presses, full power offs, ons... nothing helped.

orcinus
Level 7
Also: I've tried copying 0802 BIOS CAP to FAT32 stick and used both ports, left and right at the top of the board (just bellow link and circular arrow buttons) with CAP files renamed to both R5E.CAP and RVE.CAP. The link button I did press for ~3 seconds, it started blinking, blinked for several times (3-4) then blinked with shorter pause two times and went off. I presume real flashback would work much longer?

What am I doing wrong?

(P.S. This all happened a few days after flashing BIOS 1401N - today, before going black screen, machine pushed vents to high RPM than back and like that several times. I was away when it happened, but it was crashed with all vents at max speed and any kind of reboot would not help to start. Also, machine was on stock clocks (not even XMP) for all the time so far).

Chino
Level 15
Assuming you're still on BIOS 1 and that's the chip you want to reflash, here's what you need to do to use the USB BIOS Flashback procedure.

1. Prepare a freshly FAT32 formatted USB pendrive.
2. Download the BIOS and extract the BIOS file to the USB pendrive.
3. Rename the file to R5E.CAP.
4. Insert the USB pendrive into the USB 2.0 port that's not beside the PS/2 port.
5. Press the ROG Connect button until a flashing LED appears, then release.
6. The flashing LED will start to blink faster and faster. When it stops blinking, the process is over.
7. Power on your system.

When you power on your system, you will see a black screen and a message telling you that it's updating the BIOS. Once your system restarts, you're free to input your settings.

Chino wrote:
Assuming you're still on BIOS 1 and that's the chip you want to reflash, here's what you need to do to use the USB BIOS Flashback procedure.

1. Prepare a freshly FAT32 formatted USB pendrive.
2. Download the BIOS and extract the BIOS file to the USB pendrive.
3. Rename the file to R5E.CAP.
4. Insert the USB pendrive into the USB 2.0 port that's not beside the PS/2 port.
5. Press the ROG Connect button until a flashing LED appears, then release.
6. The flashing LED will start to blink faster and faster. When it stops blinking, the process is over.
7. Power on your system.

When you power on your system, you will see a black screen and a message telling you that it's updating the BIOS. Once your system restarts, you're free to input your settings.

I did. It behaved the way I've described up there. However:

I've retried the procedure by first holding circular (CMOS clear) button next to the ROG Connect button and it stayed ON. Then I've inserted my USB drive and hold ROG Connect button for around 3 seconds. It started blinking, finally, towards faster and faster blinking for like a minute or less.

Will boot on soon and find out if it works fine.

If I wanted to flash BIOS2, should I do anything different than this?

Also, it seems that bios 1401N is not really great. I wanted it for NVME support, but not so sure now...

So, no. Still AF code, even after a successful flash (process went as described). I did power the machine, but instead of "updating screen" same AF code on the board LED and no signal to monitor.

AF code says "exit boot services" - what that means?

CPU_LED seems to constantly glow red.

Any suggestions?