cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Proper memory setup with rampage v extreme

GunJam
Level 7
Hello!

I built a new system for use in 3d image rendering. The component chosen were based largely on the software
manufacture's recommendation for optimal system for what we are doing.

The main components are as follows:

Asus Rampage v extreme
EVGA titan z
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000)
Intel Xeon E5-2697 v3 Haswell 2.6GHz 35MB L3 Cache LGA 2011-3 145W
SAMSUNG SM951 SSD
win 8.1 pro

There is a lot going on with the Rampage bios: I dont necessarily want to OC the memory but I want to make sure its
running at peak performance or in other words at 100% of its rated performance. Should it be in XMP? what else should I look for?
I simply plugged it in an didn't touch anything...Does the rampage v extreme manage memory configs well? Benchmark software(s)
do seem to be reporting the right speed but I dont know if its actually running at its rated speed...where can I check to verify this?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Nate152
Hello GunJam

Is your ram kit a single 64GB kit? If it is enable XMP to see if it will go, if it doesn't go you will need to tune the cpu system agent voltage and possibly the VCCIO voltage.

You can download ROG cpu-z and click on the memory tab, double what it is showing and that is the speed of your ram.

As I understand with the x99 boards on the cpu tab the cpu core voltage is actually showing the cpu VID.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/CPU-Z-ROG.shtml

Chino
Level 15

GunJam
Level 7
Yes it is a kit!

So it should be good to go then?

Thanks guys!

-Gun

Chino
Level 15

GunJam
Level 7
Seems to be running well
cpu z indicates about 1/2 the speed of the ram.

With sandra lite 2015 benchmark its scored number 15 or faster than 99.92 % of systems tested (I guess thats pretty good)

With 3dmark firestrike it ran like 14500 or faster than about 97% of systems....It wasnt really designed to be a 3d benchmark buttkicker I just hope
it runs our rendering software well

Thanks again guys!

-Gun

GunJam wrote:

cpu z indicates about 1/2 the speed of the ram.

That's correct. Multiply by 2 and you should get 2133MHz. 😉

With a Titan Z and 12 cores, I'm not surprised you beat 99% of the systems you benchmarked against. lol