Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

R5E 6f/bf code, one of the memory slots is not working.

Hello,

I'll explain my problem in details.
    I run a R5E as the title said with an i7 5960x and 4x4go of g.skill 3200mhz ddr4 memory sticks.
    This is actually the second time I'm having this problem.
    I built my PC, ran into this problem: mobo sais 6f or bf don't really know how to differentiate and shut itself down after
    ~ 30 seconds.

If I reset cmos it lets me go to the BIOS settings then I load the optimized/default settings and reset and get the damn code again.
    So I checked on this forum if someone had the same problem as me, did not take long before I found aproximatively the same case as mine. A dude said: "loosen the screw" I was so desperate I actually tried and it worked! I was really surprised.
    Then after a time for some reason it stopped working. 12go detected instead of 16, always the same,
    the channel C precisely. My sticks works perfectly, tried them one by one. It's either a problem from the mobo, CPU or I don't know
    what kind of black magic. So now I run with 3 sticks, runs like a charm at 3200Mhz, CPU is around 4480Mhz quite stable
    but I am quite upset that one of my sticks has been chosen to sit by me on the desk.

If you guys could help me figure this out it would be really awesome, a PC like this is quite worth alot of money, too much
    to have that kind of problem.

ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

I would make sure the motherboard is running the latest BIOS. Then what I would do is clear the CMOS to put everything back to stock defaults. Does your motherboard pick up all 4 modules if you run them at the stock 2133MHz frequency?

ROG Member Array

Yes, if I put all 4 sticks in their respective slots (all red) I get the error code so the only way I can reach the BIOS settings is by clearing the CMOS and of course I tried to run it with stock settings but to no avail. I'll check what I can do for the BIOS update part. I can't remember wich version I am currently running and I can't check right know because I'm still at work. Once I'm home I'll tell you the version and if I could update something.

Quote Originally Posted by NervzZ View Post
    Yes, if I put all 4 sticks in their respective slots (all red) I get the error code so the only way I can reach the BIOS settings is by clearing the CMOS and of course I tried to run it with stock settings but to no avail.
    Hello

This bit is a little confusing. Clearing the UEFI allow the system to successfully post, correct? If so it would be posting with stock settings so what do you mean stock settings don't work?

ROG Member Array

Well to be simple if I use 3 memory sticks it will boot without a problem. I can change the settings and it will still boot. Now if I put all my 4 sticks
    I'll get the error code again and as I said in the first post the computer will shut down after ~ 30 seconds, screen showing only black. But if I clear
    CMOS it will at least allow me into the BIOS settings but pressing F10 to save and reset, even with stock settings, will result into the error again. So to
    be short, stock settings or not 3 sticks will boot no problem but 4 won't because I think a slot isn't working / detecting properly, 12go shown instead
    of 16 and if I look into the latency settings I see on channel C that all latencies are on 0, unlike the other channels.

Test each module individually in the DIMM_A1 slot and see if your system will post. Report back your results.

ROG Member Array

Done that already, all sticks work perfectly fine.

Then proceed to remove your heatsink and CPU. Then inspect the CPU socket carefully for any bent or missing pins.

ROG Member Array

Well this is something I did not want to be asked to do. I am currently on watercooling and I do have to remove quite some stuff to be able to reach the CPU.
    I cannot do it very soon but I'll do it if it's the last option I'm left with. So if any of you have other suggestions before I get to remove my CPU block don't hesitate to tell me.

Quote Originally Posted by NervzZ View Post
    Well this is something I did not want to be asked to do. I am currently on watercooling and I do have to remove quite some stuff to be able to reach the CPU.
    Hello

This is why a box build should always be done first to verify proper operating of all components.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast