cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard backlight settings

Bandhor
Level 7
Hey all, I've searched but still can't find where you change the setting for the keyboard backlight. at first I thougt it was broken drivers because it would go off on windows log in. Then found out about fn f4 and that worked but it seems to go off after a certain period of inactivity, probably to save power but it's hard to see the fn F4 keys in the dark when it goes out.

Is there anyway to lengthen the timeout period for the keyboard lights or just keep them on all the time unless you close the top?
5 REPLIES 5

Edweird
Level 10
Have a good look at what's already been posted for next time. 🙂

It's literally the 5th stickied thread at the top of this forum.

Linky!

Bandhor
Level 7
Interesting how when you do a search for "backlight goes off" you don't get this stickied thread. It is also only after a while you realize it's a timeout issue. By then I had already passed over the stickies as unremarkable. search usually works best for me but then there is always someone who will point out a mistake especially if it is posted somewhere so I still find this one of the fastest way to get a response. Love the answer as well, registry editing? Why not a .bat file like the good old days of dos?

There probably is a reason this keeps coming up. In the meantime though it is Amazing how far folks will go out of there way to show you made a mistake, but will ignore anything opposite that as if it's second nature. I think it makes them feel better or superior or something like that. A very useful tool in the land of the Internet. as my son keeps telling me if you want the right answer, post the wrong one.
Cheers

Bandhor wrote:
Interesting how when you do a search for "backlight goes off" you don't get this stickied thread. It is also only after a while you realize it's a timeout issue. By then I had already passed over the stickies as unremarkable. search usually works best for me but then there is always someone who will point out a mistake especially if it is posted somewhere so I still find this one of the fastest way to get a response. Love the answer as well, registry editing? Why not a .bat file like the good old days of dos?

There probably is a reason this keeps coming up. In the meantime though it is Amazing how far folks will go out of there way to show you made a mistake, but will ignore anything opposite that as if it's second nature. I think it makes them feel better or superior or something like that. A very useful tool in the land of the Internet. as my son keeps telling me if you want the right answer, post the wrong one.
Cheers

You didnt read the sticky and you got told. Thats how this works. You've no right to complain.

Good luck.

What I ultimately discovered was that it was a non issue. merely one of those things i notice in a new system that gets completely forgotten in reality and with real world use. I haven't bothered changing anything and it hasn't come up as a problem since the original post. Oh well.

Edweird
Level 10
I'm...not quite sure what to make of that. I agree with what your son is saying but I purely meant that normally, if you have an issue with a laptop of a particular series, it's usually not the first time and is probably a common thing/preference so it's worth having a hard look at things like stickies. It was just advice, not meant to be aggressive or demeaning in any way, though having read it out loud again I understand how it might seem that way. Search would have been the right choice and you chose correctly to look for a solution before asking, that's the right thing to do - and not like it costs anyone anything, I love helping people out because people have helped me out, too.

I took away from your post that you've simply neglected to look at the stickies. Again, nobody minds you asking, this is what this forum is for. Sometimes, it just feels painfully obvious what someone should do when there's readily available information - but you must understand, this is human nature. Once you know how something is done and you've been dealing with it for a while and you think it's really damn good that it exists and then someone comes along /seemingly/ ignorant of its existence, you might find a bit compelled to feel protective about it. I assure you, this is not such a case. Please don't see these things as attempts to make you feel offended or as some sort of superiority complex. The Internet sucks, it brings out too many bad sides to people, but it is filled with gems. Like this forum.

I personally found it annoying that the keyboard would turn itself off so quickly for only about a week. I just instinctively press left control when I want the keyboard to light up but some other things like the Steam key are things that I've done.

On the batch file thing, if you know what a batch file is, I'd wager it would be much faster to manually change it than to have to actually write the commands for it. I guess it's just assumed that if you're savvy enough to want to be dealing with issues like this, you wouldn't mind clicking a few times. Batch files are used just as much as before for things like this, just this time - they're not.