cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G551JX-DM036H "FHD EWV LED backlit" display - what/how is it exactly?

vivs007
Level 7
There isn't much info about the screen type of this model on the internet.

Asus G551JX-DM036H comes with 3 types of displays according to Asus's website:

1. HD (1366 x 768 pixels) with EWV
2. FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) EWV LED Backlight
3. FHD (1920 x 1080 pixels) IPS

I live in India and Asus doesn't sells IPS model here and instead we get EWV LED Backlight.

Does "EWV LED Backlight" indirectly mean a TN display? I've heard EWV stands for "Enhanced Wide Viewing" which supposedly has better viewing angles. Can anyone confirm is that really true? If this screen is not completely TN, what is it then?

If it is a TN, but has "Enhanced Wide Viewing" angles -- is that any good? HOW better are the viewing angles? Is the color gamut any good from TN?

Any help would be extremely appreciated.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

Edweird
Level 10
You pretty much answered it. EWV are TN panels with wider viewing angles. They're pretty good, they're cheaper to produce, the color reproduction is nice - but the viewing angles aren't as good / it starts to wash out pretty quickly, but they are definitely better than the older type of transflective screens. Straight-on, there isn't that much of a difference aside from a bit of color, maybe. TN panels get a boost in smoothness, though, which for the end user is probably the only benefit over IPS screens other than the price point.

Knowing what the screen is like on the G751 (it's good) ... I'd hunt for an IPS model a bit more. Otherwise, it might be worth using the savings from the screen type to get a model with better spec.

ASUS' info on these is extremely badly managed. There are models that explain the features of an IPS screen but IPS isn't in the spec sheet ... I don't know. I had trouble with the same thing for my G751JY, it just wouldn't say straight up that it's IPS.

At this point I advise that you give us some product links from stores so we can look at the spec sheets for you and come to some sort of agreement together since what you actually get from the store is what will matter in the end.

EDIT: I had a look at about 6-7 store offers - they all say this model comes with a LED backlight display which to is code for NOT IPS, to me.

Edweird wrote:
You pretty much answered it. EWV are TN panels with wider viewing angles. They're pretty good, they're cheaper to produce, the color reproduction is nice - but the viewing angles aren't as good / it starts to wash out pretty quickly, but they are definitely better than the older type of transflective screens. Straight-on, there isn't that much of a difference aside from a bit of color, maybe. TN panels get a boost in smoothness, though, which for the end user is probably the only benefit over IPS screens other than the price point.

Knowing what the screen is like on the G751 (it's good) ... I'd hunt for an IPS model a bit more. Otherwise, it might be worth using the savings from the screen type to get a model with better spec.

ASUS' info on these is extremely badly managed. There are models that explain the features of an IPS screen but IPS isn't in the spec sheet ... I don't know. I had trouble with the same thing for my G751JY, it just wouldn't say straight up that it's IPS.

At this point I advise that you give us some product links from stores so we can look at the spec sheets for you and come to some sort of agreement together since what you actually get from the store is what will matter in the end.

EDIT: I had a look at about 6-7 store offers - they all say this model comes with a LED backlight display which to is code for NOT IPS, to me.

Thanks Edweird. You're right, it almost 95% is a TN+EWV panel. I just wanted to make sure it isn't IPS as mentioned in the Asus's site. The stores also say it's an LED Backlight display so I don't think there's any doubt now.

It sucks though, that IPS version isn't available here. Even the new 2015 Lenovo Y50 is revamped to have an IPS screen but it ain't available here, yet. I don't know if I can wait anymore 😞 so probably I'm gonna go with G551JX.

Thanks a lot for your help! 🙂

Edweird
Level 10
I'm happy to help in any way possible but please don't make any serious choices without hearing some other, perhaps more educated opinions on the matter. I recommend hunting down some G551 owners on the forum and ask them what it says on the box, there is always a spec sheet sticker on the shipping/laptop box. 1 of three things will happen - you will find that it says FHD EWV on the box and that their machines has a TN display, option two is that it says FHD IPS and you know the model actually can be found with this screen, and option three is that the box says FHD EWV but the screen is actually IPS ... and you have 100% good reason to phone the shop and ask them what kind of product they're selling.

Like MarshallR famously (to me, at least 😛 ) said - if they want your money, they should at least look at the damn box.

EDIT: I just found this.
Linky!

The customer review says it's not an IPS screen and this fits the product description. Generally, if it doesn't say IPS specifically, then it's not an IPS screen. Also, it's from a customer from India so that confirms what you have been saying.