cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dead Pixel ( light pixel) on my new Asus G74 screen :(

Thorn2011
Level 10
Hi my Asus G74 is a month or so old now but until the last week or so I hadn't noticed that there is a dead pixel (s) that looks like a dot of light on the right hand side of my screen. I was wondering what Asus's policy is on light pixels and whether it is possible to get my screen replaced or repaired without having to replace the whole laptop ( I have it set up the way I like with lots of data on the disks already). I am dissapointed that I hadn't noticed it earlier but now I know its there I am seeing it no matter what I do 😞

Why do these things always happen to me? I love the laptop I tested my G74 with Crysis Warhead and I can turn everything to Gamer in 1920X1080 and still get 45-60 fps!

Thanks!
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630qm 2ghz With Turbo Boost Up To 2.9ghz CPU | Metallic Keyboard | Win 7 Home Premium | Blu Ray & DVD +/- & CD Player | 4 USB Ports | Media Card Reader | Webcam | Bluetooth | WIFI | Nvidia 3D Vision GTX560M 3GB | 2 X 750GB 7200rpm HDD's | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz | 17 Inch Screen 1920X1080 Resolution | 1 HDMI Ports | 8 Cell Battery
11 REPLIES 11

JRd1st
Level 12
There's a thread someplace about massaging bright pixels to relax them into normalcy. Really!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
There's a thread someplace about massaging bright pixels to relax them into normalcy. Really!

Massaging? Really? I massage my missus and she isn't too bright .... 😉

Seriously though does this work and how do you do it exactly I wonder?
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630qm 2ghz With Turbo Boost Up To 2.9ghz CPU | Metallic Keyboard | Win 7 Home Premium | Blu Ray & DVD +/- & CD Player | 4 USB Ports | Media Card Reader | Webcam | Bluetooth | WIFI | Nvidia 3D Vision GTX560M 3GB | 2 X 750GB 7200rpm HDD's | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz | 17 Inch Screen 1920X1080 Resolution | 1 HDMI Ports | 8 Cell Battery

JRd1st
Level 12
Yes, it usually works. You use a ballpoint pen and a couple layers of wet paper towel to insulate against scratches. Then you message the exact spot with a circular motion, I believe.

Look up the post for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
Yes, it usually works. You use a ballpoint pen and a couple layers of wet paper towel to insulate against scratches. Then you message the exact spot with a circular motion, I believe.

Look up the post for more info. 😄

I will search for it thanks 🙂 Is there any chance I am going to do more damage to the screen as a result, if so I will just leave it, it isn't in my normal gaming field of view it is 3 quarters up and on the far right side of the screen.... wonder how this fault happens in the first place?

If I send it to Asus more than likely they will just do the massaging trick right? Rather than paying for a new panel?

Thanks again 🙂
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

JRd1st
Level 12
You just need to be careful.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor

Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Hi there, Thorn2011.

I had the same problem like yours. Here's how I solved it:

http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?4960-A-Tip-In-Solving-Bright-Dot-On-Screen-Of-ASUS-G74
ASUS G74SX-3DE

It still makes me nervous, how much pressure did you push with, I don't want to perforate my new laptops screen? I can see me making a hole then trying to explain to Asus how it got there!

UPDATE!

Tried it with a cloth and ball point pen, pressed up to 10 times then repeated, no luck though the light spot is still there? 😞 Maybe I wasn't pushing hard enough but the screen was pushing in and I braced against the back of the screen?
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

Thorn2011 wrote:
Tried it with a cloth and ball point pen, pressed up to 10 times then repeated, no luck though the light spot is still there? 😞 Maybe I wasn't pushing hard enough but the screen was pushing in and I braced against the back of the screen?

Did you turn off (fn + f7) the screen before pressing the screen? You've got to turn it off first, press the exact bright dot area, then turn it on again. (You can do this multiple times until successful.)

And DON"T press that hard!.. (Is your screen damaged yet?) The pressure should be just like pressing the left-click button of your mouse pad. Try pressing it 3 or 4 times (once every second).

Also WET your insulator/padding (soft cloth or a few layers of tissue paper) to avoid scratching the screen.
ASUS G74SX-3DE

Thankfully I didn't press that hard no 🙂 If you press down on any part of the screen when it is on you can see the crystal moving from the pressure so no I guess you don't have to push very hard 🙂

Yes I powered the screen off too, although one site I just found said it is better if the screen is on at the time so the crystal has a chance to fill the bright spot? Either way it didn't work yet but I will keep on trying!

Thanks!
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V