cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My 2nd Hard drive i running at SATA3? And 3 8GB (24GB) RAM is in dual channel? How?

Zombievac
Level 9
TL;DR - I have the 1TB drive that came installed and HWinfo64 says the drive is running at SATA3 - is this just incorrect (which I'd doubt because HWinfo seems pretty darn accurate everywhere else), or did ASUS address the issue in current units being manufactured, or newer drivers?

Also, why are multiple system info apps saying my memory is running in dual channel when I have the default 3 x 8gb (24GB total) that came with it? Is dual channel now possible with 2+ DIMMS, even if the number of DIMMS is an odd number?

Any thoughts? Anyone else getting SATA3 out of the box in that 2nd bay without using the cable mod?

More info -
Just got my G751JY-DH71, and I'm loving it!

Got the fan speed tweak recommended on this forum, overclocked the 980M to the max allowable in eVGA precision (+135 core, and +240 memory - the memory clock is not maxed, but that's ok), and under-volted the CPU to -90 mV and still can max out the other settings in XTU, and last but not least, I OC'd the display to 100 Hz 🙂

Stress tests so far are stable, and I have great temps overall - GPU doesn't go over 80 C when overclocked and at full boost for 30+ mins, and the CPU doesn't go over 77 C when running Prime 95 or other stress tests for long periods either! 🙂

I have the latest bios as well which is 207 I believe, or whatever the latest is as of 5/22/2015.

I did install all the manufacturer direct drivers I could find that had newer ones available than ASUS provides on the support site (which are all from 2013-2014 for the most part, it pisses me off they never update drivers after release unless there is a showstopper bug it seems). Maybe that fixed the SATA2/SATA3 issue?

For everyone who helped me through the above tweaks on this forum by making so many helpful posts, thank you! Much appreciated.
2 REPLIES 2

matrixleader
Level 8
You are not running in Dual Channel mode for your RAM, the first pair is in Dual Channel and the 8GB left alone is in Single Channel. In the past this was not possible but since last year I believe thanks to Intel's FLEX mode, this kind of configuration is possible. Still, very bad idea for a gaming laptop to have 24 GB of RAM! Either 16 or 32 to be in full Dual Channel mode. Whenever I buy an ASUS laptop with 24GB of RAM since most of them are like that, the first thing I do is to upgrade the RAM to 32 GB o be on full Dual Channel mode across all SODIMMs

matrixleader wrote:
You are not running in Dual Channel mode for your RAM, the first pair is in Dual Channel and the 8GB left alone is in Single Channel. In the past this was not possible but since last year I believe thanks to Intel's FLEX mode, this kind of configuration is possible. Still, very bad idea for a gaming laptop to have 24 GB of RAM! Either 16 or 32 to be in full Dual Channel mode. Whenever I buy an ASUS laptop with 24GB of RAM since most of them are like that, the first thing I do is to upgrade the RAM to 32 GB o be on full Dual Channel mode across all SODIMMs

Thanks for your reply, which is what I expected. I have another 8GB module on the way actually, for 32GB total. What a silly design choice.

I wonder, is flex mode smart enough to use the first 24GB in full dual channel speed mode, and only use the remaining 8GB after the first 24GB? If that were the case, the speed would only really be an issue in the distant future or when something has a memory leak. Even 16GB is overkill for gaming, 24GB is not gonna be necessary for years (probably until the next generation of gaming consoles comes out, at which point devs will start designing games for such large amounts of RAM possibly...)

I also believe I found the issue with the 2nd hard drive... I don't know why, but in one area HWinfo64 says SATA 6Gb/s for my 2nd drive, and in another area it says "SATA 6Gb/s @ 3Gb/s" - what a ridiculous and confusing way to list a spec. What does that even mean?