cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 8.1 "rollup" update and Windows 10 blocking voltage and/or borking sensors

chrisnyc75
Level 12
Hello ROG'ers, long time no talk. 🙂

Been having a weird problem lately, was wondering if anybody else has seen this: For some reason, kb3000850 ("November 2014 update rollup for Windows RT 8.1, Windows 8.1, and Windows Server 2012 R2"), which was recently re-released on April 23, 2015, causes the system to ignore Additional Turbo Voltage. I think the update might be messing with MEI's sense of the cpu's c-states? With the offending Windows Update rollup installed, the system applies Offset vcore (by itself) to achieve stable voltage, but the system will NOT apply any "Additional Turbo Voltage" (from the CPU Power Settings menu).

i.e
before the update: VID 1.27 + Offset .025 + Additional Turbo Voltage .05 = ~1.34v @ x46
since the update: VID 1.27 + Offset .025 (Additional Turbo Voltage .05) = ~1.29v @ x46
for stability since: VID 1.27 + Offset .07 + Additionaly Turbo Voltage .00 = ~1.34v @ x46

In other words, the outcome is the same with or without Additional Turbo Voltage because the system simply doesn't do Additional Turbo Voltage anymore. (*note, I'm recounting these figures from memory as I'm not at my pc right now... they may not be 100% exact, but you get the idea)

It seems logical that the problem would be Windows' *REPORTING* of the voltage rather than the actual voltage itself, but it does to be somehow actually BLOCKING Additional Turbo Voltage from being applied as the system BSODs if I run Cinebench or Realbench, whereas at my known stable voltage (~1.344v) using ONLY vcore Offset it's rock solid stable as it has been for years. Notably, XTU still shows Turbo enabled and functioning AND shows the Additional Turbo Amount set per my bios/uefi instructions even though the Additional Turbo Voltage is not being applied. Perplexing. Temperature readings seem to be messed up, too, it reports ~10 C less than expected (though I can't be sure if maybe that's accurate because of the borked voltage)

Also, earlier this week I installed Windows 10 preview, and even with a clean install with nothing else installed, the exact same problem. Natively, Windows 10 seems to cause the system to either not apply or not recognize Additional Turbo Voltage.

I'm perplexed by the idea of Windows changing BIOS hardware control; and also curious that I haven't heard of anybody else experiencing this. The only thing I can think of is that Offset vcore + Additional Turbo Voltage + c-states & EIST enabled is an uncommon setup? Offset vcore with c-states disabled seems to be the most common setup, but I prefer to have mine tuned as tightly as possible. It's been rock-solid stable for almost 2 years... but it would seem maybe the outdated drivers need an update?

tl:dr: it seems that something Microsoft did in the last couple of months is messing with Asus's drivers mobo drivers and/or hardware? Has anybody else seen or reported this? Raja? I know X79 is old news now, but can we expect any Black Edition driver or bios updates in the wake of Windows 10? It seems they will be necessary.
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

4 REPLIES 4

chrisnyc75
Level 12
p.s. I'm on the latest bios, v0801 I think it's called. And I ruled out image corruption by re-flashing both bios1 and bios2, as well as rolling back to v0701. No change.

The one thing I haven't tried is a voltagemeter on the read points... unfortunately I can't get to those without an awful lot of trouble because of the physical layout of my case/build. However, I can dual-boot to Windows 7 with no change to the bios settings and Windows 7 reports all readings as expected, so it's definitely a windows 8.1/10 vs Asus driver/hardware conflict.`

edit: I played around with it in Windows 10 quite a bit over the weekend, it seems like it's either something to do with that damn Tprobe sensor/driver that's been borked since day 1(AMDA0?), or something is messing with Intel EIST. Though the latter seems unlikely since XTU insists that it is NOT throttling and IS going into Turbo mode with the assigned extra voltage....which leads me to believe the cpu is asking for Turbo mode, but the VRM isn't getting the message.
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid

chrisnyc75
Level 12
Not much support here on this "older" (read: 1 year) Rampage motherboard forum these days, huh? 😕

Anyway, my latest theory is that the AsusSetup.exe(s) in the chipset package isn't recognizing Windows 10 signature, and is defaulting to instruction for WinNT5.0. Somehow I think the outdated identifiers are messing with Intel PPM? Even with F5 stock settings in bios, it ramps up to 3.7ghz, but the voltage at 3.7 reads exactly the same as it does at 3.4, so even with everything set back to factory settings it's just not giving Turbo any juice.

Since it's just a beta build and not my main os, I'm gonna mess around with the .ini file for the setup(s) and try to get all of them to default to Windows 8.1 instead. I submitted the 'bug' to MS and one of the moderators at least did actually notice, so maybe they'll take a look too. I'll report back here if I get it figured out. 🙂

*edit: After numerous attempts at troubleshooting, including re-flashing the bios, clean installing the OS, etc etc, I've given up. Even with a fresh bios at all stock settings, and a clean windows installation with nothing installed but the chipset & mei, the system will NOT apply Turbo voltage. I'm chalking it up to incompatibility in the beta build of Windows and either Intel or Asus hardware (most likely the latter). Hopefully this is something that will be fixed when Windows 10 goes retail.

chrisnyc75
Level 12
Just since I like talking to myself....

I'm really getting concerned about this now. The latest Window 10 Preview build 10130 is essentially 'retail ready', and yet again - Turbo voltage is not applied correctly and cpu temperature sensors are not reporting accurately. At this point, I'm convinced this MUST be a BIOS compatibility issue.

I took readings IMMEDIATELY after the OS installation -- even before installing the chipset or MEI, and even then, on an absolutely "naked" os, voltage & temperature readings were not accurate (or were not as they should have been). I tried installing chipset & MEI from the Asus support site (despite their being long outdated) as well as the most updated generic chipset & MEI downloads from Intel.... then took readings again. No change, same inaccurate readings.

I have to believe that if this was a Windows 10 bug somebody else in the world would have noticed it by now, so it HAS TO be an Asus problem. Something about how the BIOS is interfacing with Windows 10 power management + Intel c-states & on-die sensors. Something in the hardware is borked. I haven't bothered calling Asus yet because I'm sure they're just going to tell me there's no support for Windows 10 yet, but we had better see a BIOS update at/around release or they're going to have a lot of very angry Black Edition users who spent hundreds of dollars on their board just a year ago only to be basically abandoned already.

Get on it Asus.

Korth
Level 14
lol, I usually don't consider any WinOS "stable" until Microsoft releases a Service Pack or two.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]