cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4930k on a RIVBE, need cooling and OC advice

Madmaxneo
Level 8
I am relatively new to OCing but this is my second rig for that. My first attempt was with a Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66ghz with a max OC of 3.52 ghz and a stable OC of 3.4ghz all on air.
For my CPU cooler I am using a Swiftech H240x.
I am currently in the process of OCing and am going to get the XSPC Rampage 4 Black Waterblock Set but I am not sure what exactly I need when it comes to the fittings and what size tubing I need, or for that matter what size is the best for my set up.
Thanks ahead.
My system is in my profile and once I figure out how to I will put it in my sig.

Bruce
23 REPLIES 23

Nate152
Thank you for making a new thread.

The first thing you need to decide is what size of tubing you want to use. I was looking at the swiftech page and it says if you want to upgrade to larger tubing you will need this adapter for the outlet port then you screw a barb into it. I suppose the inlet port is just a standard G1/4" barb, you'll want to check that.

http://www.swiftech.com/G1/4-ADAPTER.aspx

1/2" x 3/4" is the largest tubing available and makes your system look beefier, they also say the larger tubing helps increase flow but how much I'm not sure. The fittings and water blocks is what restricts flow.

So you'll want to use barbs and clamps on the swiftech h240x and if you want you can use compression fittings on the water blocks for a nicer look.

You can also use uv tubing and uv coolant in the color of your choice and add some uv lights if you want or just use plain old distilled water, the choice is yours.

Tubing choices can be 3/8" x 5/8" or the largest 1/2" x 3/4" this will determine what size fittings you'll need.

Madmaxneo
Level 8
I would think it would be more efficient if you kept the tubing about as close to the size of the inlet port as possible. I believe if the tube is to large compared to the inlet port it would create some kind of backwash effect thereby not getting a real efficient flow.
Is that not the case here?
I also don't think the larger tubing would look that good. I am looking to keep it as open as possible, within reason of course.

Nate152
All right then, 3/8 x 5/8 tubing is what you should probably go with. Here's a video with 3/8 x 5/8 tubing, this will give you an idea of the size.

Madmaxneo
Level 8
Great video and very helpful.
I think that was a Phantom 820 case in there.
Either way I will get to looking up parts tomorrow. I primarily use performance PC's (comparing prices with amazon when possible), but do you know of a better site?

Bruce

EDIT: First attempt at looking up parts, tubing. Apparently there are 5 different types of tubing... I will discard the hard types. There is Soft PVC, Plasticizer free, and Neoprene and polyurethane tubing.
So which one or does it matter?

Nate152
I've always used feser tubing and never had any problems with it. I've also heard good things about the primoflex advanced LRT tubing.

performance pc's is a good place for water cooling stuff. Frozen cpu is another good place but they are having problems and aren't even up for business at this time.

Sidewinder computers
Dazmode has some nice stuff, it's a Canadian store and has lots of lighting stuff and different types of cables.
Ncixus
Aquatuning US

To name a few

Madmaxneo
Level 8
I looked up Feser cooling and it led me to FrozenCpu.com (site worked just fine). But it's located in Germany and I am not up to paying those kind of shipping fees.
I looked up Aquatuning US and it looks promising. But I found some koolance clear UV reactive tubing on performancePcs.com and it is only $1.59 a foot. I looked on the Swiftech site and they only have 3/8" by 1/2" OD tubing, I'm not sure if they meant to put 5/8 or what. I'll probably just use distilled water (I already have two gallons here) if it works just as good as the other stuff. Swiftech has some on their site in blue and I thought about it but it is out of stock....
I do like some of the fittings Swiftech has, but I'm not sure if I want to go with a chrome or a black look.....

Nate152
LOL yeah there are all sorts of fittings to choose from. Did you like the monsoon chain gun compression fittings?

frozencpu is located in new york, I've read the owner of the company got in some kind of trouble and they're hiring new staff.

With the rampage iv BLACK edition what color do you think would be appropriate. 😉

You can use 3/8 x 1/2, it's just a thinner tubing than 3/8 x 5/8.

Distilled water is fine to use but you'll want to add a biocide and a corrosion blocker for good measure. Here is an in depth article on water cooling, there are 2 parts and it's kinda long but it explains things well.

http://www.overclockers.com/pc-water-coolant-chemistry-part-ii/

Madmaxneo
Level 8
That is interesting because the Germany one is still up, nevermind when I clicked on the link I think I am getting the US one now because the contact number starts with 1-877.
I was thinking of using all black to go with the theme and possible renaming of this build to "Nighthawk"... But the chrome would add a really cool look. I am also thinking of the clear UV tubing with blue coolant, which would have an awesome purple effect if I turn the LED lighting to red. I don't always have my LED lighting on but when I do I think it looks awesome.
I may be changing out the stock 200mm front fan for something a little more reliable and less noisy. The NZXT one in there now has developed a barely perceptible rattle and in fact was a top fan that replaced the original front fan after I realized it had stopped working.

I am going to push my OC up to 4.4 and possibly 4.5 today.

PS How do I create a sig in these forums?

Nate152
You create a sig in your profile.

Here's another idea for you if you want to use purple as a theme color. You could get the monoblock, the monoblock cools the cpu, southbridge and vrm's all in one plus you can see the coolant through it. There are 2 versions Nickel and original CSQ Nickel. The Nickel one looks cleaner to me.

http://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-fb-asus-r4be-monoblock-nickel.html

You could get the feser uv purple tubing it's somewhat transparent.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/feser-tube-active-uv-hose-2-5-meter-8-feet-retail-packed-3-8-id-1-2-o...

And the feser uv coolant, with the uv coolant it will add to the glow of the tubing plus you can see it in the monoblock too.

http://www.amazon.com/Feser-One-Conductive-Cooling-Fluid/dp/B000TYQPZQ

And finally 1 or 2 uv led strips, these don't have the bulky inverter to have to mount and hide somewhere like the cold cathodes do. You can choose the connector type on the end.

https://www.dazmode.com/store/product/12in-30cm-darkside-connect-dimmable-rigid-led-strip-uv/

UV acid green seems to have the best glow, yellow looks pretty good too.