cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current Specs, Possible Future Upgrades

TheSobeGuy
Level 7
Hi guys. If you check my signature, I currently have an i7 950 @ 3.07 GHz. I think it is a common temptation and a fairly difficult decision for further upgrading your current rig. In the year 2020 maybe, how dangerous would it be to upgrade from an i7 to an i9, i11, or some ridiculous sick piece of hardware? Since I won that baby thanks to BlizzCon 2010, I think the monster I earned is still hungry for power. It's going to be fun, challenging, and hopefully rewarding experience to plan and successfully upgrade something that has not exist yet...

What would be the craziest pieces of processors out there now?
Current specs (via CPU-Z)

i7 @ 950 3.07 GHz
ASUS Rampage III Gene
16 GB DDR3 RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970

2 REPLIES 2

Chino
Level 15
The most powerful CPU on a consumer level is the i7-5960X. Pair that with a Rampage V Extreme and you have a powerful beast for quite some time.

Korth
Level 14
Yes, the i7-5960X is the most powerful "Haswell-E" processor for mainstream consumers/enthusiasts. The X99 chipset is also compatible with "Haswell-EP" Xeon procs (E5-16xx-3 and E5-26xx-3 families), the top end models having up to 18 cores (and 36 threads, with HyperThreading) and an astronomical pile of on-die cache. Most X99 motherboards support "only" 64GB or 128GB of DDR4, but a few claim to support up to 1TB of DDR4 (when such high-density RAM chips actually become available). DDR4 is capable of far greater speeds (data bandwidth) than extreme DDR3.

Intel's LGA1150/i7-4790K is currently their fastest processor in terms of raw clock speed (4.0GHz-4.4GHz). On a Z97 motherboard, of course. This seems to be the most popular "new-computer" gaming build these days.

AMD's AM3+/FX-9590 is currently their fastest processor in terms of raw clock speed (4.7GHz-5.0GHz). On a RV990FX+SB950 motherboard, of course.

All of these chips are rated for huge power consumption and require potent cooling. AIO water coolers are the mainstream expectation now, but ridiculously massive air coolers are sometimes a good option.

Nobody builds an "elite" computer without a mighty GPU or two (or more). AMD R9-290X and NVidia GTX980 cards are solid buys, but you could buy a Titan X (or two) if you really want to game huge fps across multi-display 4K resolutions.

This site has a fair breakdown of what's out there, what it does, and what it costs. Not a truly comprehensive list, but a decent baseline.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]