CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser G4ME ZERO
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87U
    Accessory #1 Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920

Quote Originally Posted by ROGTWAT View Post
    The most important question is: Can we UPGRADE our "old" G751's with the new displays. Personally, I'd only do it if the new model is significantly better, say with the dreadful gradient banding but sill, it would be nice to have G-Sync. Especially considering we'll be "stuck" with our "top notch gaming notebooks".
    I've wondered that myself. If hardware was the issue and an official upgrade option surfaced I'd throw my money at it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFallenPenguin View Post
    Good day everyone,
    So I've been basically lurking here for quite some time, don't own an Asus laptop so I never had a need to register. I own an Aorus X7 Pro, they were also supposed to get G-Sync support. So I contacted Aorus a few times over the last couple of days, and I finally got a meaningful answer from them. They said that it isn't just a matter of giving a driver to enable G-Sync, they said that the laptop also needs a license for G-Sync support (They most likely have to pay a licensing fee to Nvidia for G-Sync support), so to get G-Sync on these new laptops the companies had to pay Nvidia for licensing, even though our old laptops can support G-Sync we never (and therefore the companies never) paid a license for our laptops.

I was really pissed when I first found out that my brand new laptop won't support G-Sync, but their reason for not supporting it is understandable. They're a company and if they now have to pay a license for all the laptops they previously sold they would lose money.
    With all of that, I'm fine with my laptop not supporting G-Sync as they did have a valid and understandable reason not to support it on their old models. They (Aorus) also said that they forwarded my message to an engineer and he will evaluate whether there is a chance of getting a paid upgrade to the new model in the future.
    I should have seen that answer coming a mile away. The moment you shared Aorus' answer I started poking around for public information regarding FreeSync. Now it all makes sense after reading this fact from AMD's FreeSync page:

"Unlike the competition, FreeSync offers a better gaming experience with no licensing fees, no proprietary hardware and open standards."

Well, crap. If licensing is the only issue for G751 owners then I can't help but wonder what's different about the GSYNC enabled counterparts that makes G-SYNC function.

Banned Array

My old G750 completely no hope right ? lol

For my G751JT, im still using leak driver that run G-sync.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Signed

New ROGer Array

Absolutely Signed.

I have G751JY-T7064D. Is it supporting G-SYNC already? I have 60 hz LED IPS. Or do we have to upgrade new G-SYNC monitor?
    Last edited by Comodus; 06-03-2015 at 12:10 PM.

ROG Member Array

Signed.

What a shame if Asus doesn't allow G-Sync support on existing G751 models. And then I won't be buying any Asus laptop ANY MORE.

ROG Enthusiast Array

ok...add me up as well

signed!!!

too bad this forum is not working on tapatalk...

New ROGer Array

Signed.

ROG Member Array

signed!

ROG Enthusiast Array Zombievac PC Specs
    Zombievac PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS RoG G751JY-DH71
    MotherboardASUS P9X79 PRO
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3820 @ 4.63GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F3-14900CL8-4GBZM (QTY 4 - 16GB)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 980 4GB @ 1391MHz (Core/Boost) / 7.7GHz (Memory)
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 960 SC 2GB (PhysX only)
    MonitorSamsung 48" 3D LED TV
    Storage #1Samsung 840 EVO 1TB SSD
    Storage #2WD 4TB 7200RPM
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D14 SE2011 140mm and 120mm SSO CPU Cooler
    CaseRosewill THOR V2 (XL-ATX)
    Power SupplyFirePower 750FTY Fatal1ty 750W
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma Mechanical Gaming Keyboard
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder 2013
    Headset Turtle Beach EarForce PX4
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus Control Mat
    Headset/Speakers Logitech Z-5500 505 Watt 5.1 Digital Surround Speakers
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterNetgear NightHawk X6 AC3200 Tri-Band WiFi Router
    Accessory #1 CyberPower 1350VA UPS with LCD Display

Quote Originally Posted by Space Paste View Post
    I've wondered that myself. If hardware was the issue and an official upgrade option surfaced I'd throw my money at it.

I should have seen that answer coming a mile away. The moment you shared Aorus' answer I started poking around for public information regarding FreeSync. Now it all makes sense after reading this fact from AMD's FreeSync page:

"Unlike the competition, FreeSync offers a better gaming experience with no licensing fees, no proprietary hardware and open standards."

Well, crap. If licensing is the only issue for G751 owners then I can't help but wonder what's different about the GSYNC enabled counterparts that makes G-SYNC function.
    No difference. It'll be a modded vBIOS, which someone will hack and allow for installation on "non-licensed" models. I just really hope ASUS allows us to pay for the licensing fee, if needed, or has negociated that in their deal with NVIDIA already to support previously sold G751's. I don't want to have to muck around with modded vBIOSes, but I will if I have to! You can always go back to the default one if you do it right and were to need to send the machine in for repair. ASUS support just isn't smart enough to bother checking for that anyway, I'm sure, if there's even a way to check after reverting to the official vBIOS...

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zombievac View Post
    No difference. It'll be a modded vBIOS, which someone will hack and allow for installation on "non-licensed" models. I just really hope ASUS allows us to pay for the licensing fee, if needed, or has negociated that in their deal with NVIDIA already to support previously sold G751's. I don't want to have to muck around with modded vBIOSes, but I will if I have to! You can always go back to the default one if you do it right and were to need to send the machine in for repair. ASUS support just isn't smart enough to bother checking for that anyway, I'm sure, if there's even a way to check after reverting to the official vBIOS...
    This. I'd pay for the feature to have a supported solution. I can't imagine how that would work, though. And I don't think BIOS/vBIOS changes leave version change information anywhere but who knows.

Page 12 of 92 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 62 ... LastLast