cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 free upgrade Release date July 29

Clintlgm
Level 14
Windows 10 will be a free update for all windows 7 and 8.1 users. All we need to find out now is if we are going to be able to download ISO so that we can clean Install?

Ok so it looks like July 29th is the release date.
http://www.tenforums.com/windows-10-...tml#post247406

Also see these FAQ http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq apparently we can reserve our upgrade, If I read this correctly Reserving will access your device and download hardware drivers that will be needed for a smooth upgrade.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro
9 REPLIES 9

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
As I understand it, we will NOT be graced with an image file for a clean/full install. It will, rather, be an upgrade install only (if that's true to form, be sure to create a backup image before going through with it).

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

ReeveJ
Level 7
I haven't 'reserve[d my] update' and don't plan to. OS updates like this are usually dodgy, as noted above. Perhaps next year I'll consider it. One thing though is for certain: I absolutely do not appreciate the obtrusive 'app' with its update 'reminders.'

Out of curiosity, does anyone plan specifically not to ever update? For the sake of everyone on the fence, would you mind explaining why?

gmponyo
Level 7
Microsoft has changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates for a while (not permanently), Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available.
I have a G751JY so if I choose to upgrade to Windows10 then my version will be upgraded to Home edition and automatic updates will be mandatory. I will never upgrade to Windows 10 unless Microsoft changes this policy. I will stick with Windows 8.1.

gmponyo wrote:
Microsoft has changed how updates will work with Windows 10. Although the Pro and Enterprise editions will both be able to defer updates for a while (not permanently), Windows 10 Home users will not have the option. Updates will instead be downloaded and installed automatically as soon as they're available.
I have a G751JY so if I choose to upgrade to Windows10 then my version will be upgraded to Home edition and automatic updates will be mandatory. I will never upgrade to Windows 10 unless Microsoft changes this policy. I will stick with Windows 8.1.

You have a year to take advantage of the upgrade... there is no proverbial gun to your head to upgrade. A year is plenty of time to sit back and let all the upgrade kinks be figured out for you. As well if you don't want to update /path your system... *why not?* just disable the service and pull the KB downloads you want by hand. Easy enough if you have that particular concern. I'm sure someone with the same concerns will create a tool to make this easy for you.

joshindaphils wrote:
You have a year to take advantage of the upgrade... there is no proverbial gun to your head to upgrade. A year is plenty of time to sit back and let all the upgrade kinks be figured out for you. As well if you don't want to update /path your system... *why not?* just disable the service and pull the KB downloads you want by hand. Easy enough if you have that particular concern. I'm sure someone with the same concerns will create a tool to make this easy for you.

I just want to avoid such nonsense as KB3035583. I will look into every option to disable auto updates in Windows 10 before I upgrade.

Yes I agree, they'll have SP1 in 6 months that's probably when I'll make the move around the 1st of the year.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Xehanort
Level 8
Guys...is this true?
derekimo wrote:
pewe wrote:
With regard to downloading the upgrade, on this page it says
If you have a good friend with a fast Internet connection, you could ask them if it would be possible for you to download the software on their computer or using your computer. This is especially great if they have Wi-Fi setup, they could let you connect to their network and download it for you.

That's a bit ambiguous - but if you can download it to a friends computer I wonder if the install program will be one that can be 'tricked' to do a clean install - or if it will be a fixed 'upgrade' only.

Yeah, that could be written clearer, what you are downloading is the ESD file and it can be used to create an ISO to do a clean install.

ESD to ISO - Create Bootable ISO from Windows 10 ESD File - Windows 10 Forums

I found this on eightforums.com, on a thread about Windows 10.

If this is true, it's great! 😄

dapogz
Level 8
if ever a pro version were to release.. do you need to reconfigure the serial UEFI?

Yes to convert to Pro you will need a pro product key, the procedure would be the same to activate your new pro key through add features in control panel
Not sure what you mean if a pro version was released the pro version will be release July 29th UEFI has nothing to do with it. If your not UEFI now and you want to add pro UEFI you will require a clean install. there is no conversions from BIOS MBR to UEFI GPT for OS drives. OS drives require a clean install.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro