cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading to Windows 10?

Ghostextechnica
Level 7
Is everyone planning to upgrade immediately?

Any idea if we're likely to face critical issues with drivers etc?
22 REPLIES 22

Maxter
Level 9
Ghostextechnica wrote:
Is everyone planning to upgrade immediately?

Any idea if we're likely to face critical issues with drivers etc?

That's a really good point! We have a whole year to perform the upgrade, so it's probably better to wait. I also read that Win10 has some incompatibilities with some CPU's (older versions) - we shouldn't have an issue other than, possibly, drivers, as you said.

MaxCioco
Level 7
When looking in the "Check your PC" section of that "Get Windows 10" thing I get an error message: "These devices aren't fully compatible with windows 10 - IntelHD graphics 4600 - You'll experience some problems with your display". Still, it sais that windows 10 will work on this device.

So...I guess I either don't have the latest drivers (updated 2 months ago for the integrated video card) or windows 10 is not yet good to go on devices with 4600gc.

Ntwlf
Level 12
Myself won't be upgrading to Win10, but a sidegrade yes. Multibooting OS's is my intention, along with Win7 w/ XP mode & Win8.1.
I like having choices, especially with older software & games.

I am using Windows 10 for about 2 months already at my G750.. with now issues.. System is getting better in every update. I can't really complain about anything and if you are reinstalling your OS, I strongly recommend to already choose Win 10.. is worth it! 🙂

baulaergrungim
Level 8
Yeah, what's the deal with Intel Graphics? Is it a case where they didn't release a fully compatible with Win10 drivers? I have 2 more laptops from other maker at home, but haven't run the compatibility check yet (and few years old).

GottiBoi55
Level 10
I'm going to wait to upgrade, there's one year to do so.
Hopefully Intel will provide W10 drivers for the HD-4600 integrated graphics. (W10 checker states HD-4600 is not fully compatible)
My JZ uses nVidia optimus, so I will wait for drivers from intel.
Plus some Anti-Virus software are also not compatible (mine included), another reason to wait.
No problem, have a year to upgrade!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Ghostextechnica

Microsoft are offering a free upgrade to W10 from W7 and W8.1 and realeases on July 29th.

I will install my W7 on another drive and upgrade that. Reason being, I don't trust Microsoft !!!

My current W7 is running great atm and I don't want to have to start over, if the upgrade goes belly up.

I get to keep my W7 setup and duel boot to the W10 upgrade and take my time installing all my games and apps at leasure.

Makes sense, me thinks.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
I get to keep my W7 setup and duel boot to the W10 upgrade and take my time installing all my games and apps at leasure.

My process:
Shrink system partition >
create new volume and install OS to be upgraded, upgrade >
dual boot until eventually stay with new OS >
transfer important files from old partition to new OS partition >
delete old partition >
expand new OS partition to whole volume

For anyone who has only one HDD

Cryptoxic
Level 7
Hey all, just wanna pop in here to see what are everyone's views on the upgrade. I've reserved my copy of WIndows 10 already but I'm not sure if I wanna upgrade. The only issue I get on the Get WIndows 10 is my Bluetooth which isn't really a deal breaker for me. I wonder if I should go ahead with the upgrade on the 29th when it releases.

I'm still skeptical as to if the upgrade will erase the asus logo (oem information) on the System Information in the Control Panel. Anyone knows anything about this? Will it erase the oem information? And most importantly, will my essential things like Keyboard, trackpad work with the offical upgrade. Using a G56JR btw. Very little driver updates from the product support page.