cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How loud are the Fans on the G751JY after extensive gaming?

jacobj
Level 7
Hello, Im very interested in the G751 and from what i heard this is the quietest 980m laptop. Is this true? How hot and loud does this laptop get?
18 REPLIES 18

Edweird
Level 10
Hello!

With the 4710, GPU usually stays around 78-80 max and CPU a couple of degrees above that (these are sustained temperatures). The 4860 models are quite hotter and can frequently bump over 85 degrees. If you get a good pasting job or have it repasted (or like me, just get lucky) your average temps will probably be around 75 as is in my case.

Noise-wise ... you've heard correctly. It's VERY quiet considering how much air it's pumping out. Honestly, if I start typing while the fans are blowing at full power, I don't hear them. It sounds like it's doing work but not like it's going to take off by any stretch of the imagination.

For comparison's sake, models like Lenovo's Y50 go over 90 degrees often and you lose out performance because the laptop is thermally throttling the components.

EDIT: I just timed a 5-hour gaming session. CPU hit 81 degrees once, GPU hit 77 degrees twice. Average is a couple degrees less.

Wow those are incredible temps! Do you know how loud the fans are in Db's?

Wow those are incredible temps! Do you know how loud the fans are in Db's?

Zombievac
Level 9
I don't know the precise DBs, but they're pretty damn quiet compared to even low end notebooks I support here where I work. They also push out remarkably cool air at max temps, compared to other (even low-end) notebooks.

The cooling system ASUS designed for the G751's is one of the best designs ever made for laptop cooling, IMO.

Edweird
Level 10
I just measured it, it's around 50dB in my room, about a meter from the laptop, about 58dB behind the laptop, between the two fans, at idle.
At full pelt with CPU and GPU both at 76-78 degrees, the meter peaked at 68dB.

Edweird wrote:
I just measured it, it's around 50dB in my room, about a meter from the laptop, about 58dB behind the laptop, between the two fans, at idle.

What game were you playing to make it get to that loud?

Edweird wrote:

Are you sure that's accurate? That's supposedly as load as a CAR GOING 60 MPH (70 dB)!

All I can tell you, jacob, is that mine are barely audible at full speed fans (playing witcher 3 on ultra settings, 60 FPS, using the special profile for the G751 using Notebook Fan Control). I don't have a meter but it's impressively quiet compared to most workstation grade laptops. The noise isn't bothersome at all. I don't know if it varies by serial number though (different fans or different quality of fans).

Do you ever hear the fan if your playing a game without the sound on?

joshindaphils
Level 11
If you are worried about sound by all accounts the g751 is the quietest around in the category. If you are looking for DB readings check out this review around the 9:30 mark https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akjzKO4HfQQ

And keep in mind those levels are taken right at the source and sound follows the inverse square law amusing even propagation (the vents fire out the back). I think you get a better idea of the sound by comparing him talking vs the fans at full.

You can definitely hear it, but I would describe it as a hushed blowing... it is all subjective. When I am gaming there is 0 indication of any fan noise, the slightest bit of audio blows any semblance of fan noise out (pun intended).

Regarding Zombievac workstation comparison, I fully agree I had a Lenovo w530 that would get significantly louder crunching Excel macros hehe.