cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question for the experts on this board...about NVMe PCIe technology

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
is NVMe PCIe technology compatible with the g751jy? I am looking to purchase a NVMe PCIe SM951 SSD, and would like to know ahead of time if it will work in my notebook? Thanks to anyone with any information on this, as i am looking to move quickly.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11
6 REPLIES 6

gmponyo
Level 7
In theory it should be compatible because it uses PCI Express 3.0 x4 bus. Never used it myself though.

Edweird
Level 10
I'm going to start off by saying that I'm 90% sure the SM951 didn't actually launch with NVMe - it only recently got that version of it. So be very careful when shopping for it...

NVMe is not related to the interface - it's a standard for internal operation. A NVMe and a non-NVMe SSD interface with the computer using the same bus. Like gmponyo said, there's no reason for it not to work. However, there's a high possibility you won't be able to boot off of it.

The only way you'll know for sure is if someone buys one and tries it out and I don't think that's happened yet on these forums.

May I ask, why do you need such a thing compared to your current SSD? Need to spend large amounts of money on something? 😄

Space_Paste
Level 7
Edweird is correct. The SM951 initially launched with AHCI but now comes in AHCI and NVMe flavors, and that's where you need to be careful. We already know for sure that the AHCI variant of the SM951 works on the G751JY, thanks to a fellow owner on the ROG forums. You can see the post here, CrystalDisk benchmark included!

As far as NVMe is concerned Intel isn't guaranteeing compatibility with 8-series chipsets and older. Unfortunately, the G751 laptops all use HM87, which is an 8-series chipset. This would require motherboard OEMs to provide BIOS updates to enable support, and further adjustments to the BIOS settings would be required to make NVMe storage solutions work after that.

So, it's up to ASUS if NVMe support comes to fruition on the G751JY. Honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath; not because I think they don't care, but because I think they feel their users won't get a whole lot more use out of it compared to what the XP941 over AHCI already offers.

Space Paste wrote:
Edweird is correct. The SM951 initially launched with AHCI but now comes in AHCI and NVMe flavors, and that's where you need to be careful. We already know for sure that the AHCI variant of the SM951 works on the G751JY, thanks to a fellow owner on the ROG forums. You can see the post here, CrystalDisk benchmark included!

As far as NVMe is concerned Intel isn't guaranteeing compatibility with 8-series chipsets and older. Unfortunately, the G751 laptops all use HM87, which is an 8-series chipset. This would require motherboard OEMs to provide BIOS updates to enable support, and further adjustments to the BIOS settings would be required to make NVMe storage solutions work after that.

So, it's up to ASUS if NVMe support comes to fruition on the G751JY. Honestly, I wouldn't hold my breath; not because I think they don't care, but because I think they feel their users won't get a whole lot more use out of it compared to what the XP941 over AHCI already offers.

Oh, let me assure you, ASUS does NOT care about the quality of the software and BIOSes on their products. It's their biggest oversight, and their biggest weakness. ASUS software engineers are among the worst of all gaming hardware OEMs, unfortunately. Too bad, because their hardware design is generally great. Also, don't expect them to ever provide updated drivers on their support site, unless there is a showstopper issue with a driver that is causing them to lose significant, noticeable, money to RMAs. Sad 😞

Edweird
Level 10
This NVMe / PCI3.0 x4 situation reminds me of when I bought my last ASUS laptop. GPU supported DX11 4 years ago .. but what would have been the point when all the DX11 games worth playing would torture the GPU to death anyway.

So we have a PCI3.0 x4 capable chipset that doesn't support the standard that would actually make use of the potential of the interface.

AQUASTEVAE
Level 8
well, i found it in the uk, and have already confirmed that it works on most systems which have pcie 2.0 and 3.0 slots, but not the asus g751jy. the reason i wanted to buy this one, instead of the ahci version is simple, it is much, much faster. also, it is not expensive, it is actually cheaper than the ahci verson on amazon. but that just might be the german pricing compared to american pricing. we over price anything they think they can get away with.
CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII EXTREME - 65-inch UHD 4k SAMSUNG Q8FN - AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - NZXT Kraken X72 - 10 SIRIUS LOOP/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 64GB GSkill TRIDENTZ NEO 3600Mhz DDR4 - 3X XPG GAMMIX S70 2TB NVMe SSD'S- 2X CORSAIR FORCE MP600 NVMe SSD'S - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech wireless KRAFT advanced keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 11