cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When did the R5E start supporting 128GB kits?

Axle_Grease
Level 7
A recent news article showing a G.Skill 8 x 16 (128GB) kit for the R5E took me by surprise. Asus' main site still lists the board as supporting 64GB max. So there's no problem with this board recognising 128GB?

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/computex-2015-g-skill-shows-new-phoennix-blade-pcie-ssd-memory-keyb...
3rd photo
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown
12 REPLIES 12

avsquare
Level 7
Maybe a firmware update coming soon?

But still unless you are using the Xeon chips I don't think the 5820/5930/5960 can support more than 64GB if I am not misaken.

avsquare wrote:
But still unless you are using the Xeon chips I don't think the 5820/5930/5960 can support more than 64GB if I am not misaken.

The i7-5820K/5930K/5960X can each address up to 1TB of physical RAM. As can the LGA2011-3 Xeon procs (some of which can be mounted onto multiprocessor motherboards which increase maximum addressable memory).

I suspect the RVE could theoretically address up to 1TB, assuming (lol) that 8x128GB DDR4 kits ever become available, and I suspect smaller memory limits would be caused more by firmware than by hardware (thus I suspect that firmware updates will support larger memory capacities as such memory becomes available). It's probably the very same chunk of essential EUFI code Asus uses across all its X99 motherboards (so I expect anything memory-specific they devise for the X99-E WS can be cross-compiled onto their other X99 models as needed).

It's what we saw on most "first wave" motherboards when migrating to DDR3, and when migrating to DDR2 before that.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
The i7-5820K/5930K/5960X can each address up to 1TB of physical RAM. As can the LGA2011-3 Xeon procs (some of which can be mounted onto multiprocessor motherboards which increase maximum addressable memory).

I suspect the RVE could theoretically address up to 1TB, assuming (lol) that 8x128GB DDR4 kits ever become available, and I suspect smaller memory limits would be caused more by firmware than by hardware (thus I suspect that firmware updates will support larger memory capacities as such memory becomes available). It's probably the very same chunk of essential EUFI code Asus uses across all its X99 motherboards (so I expect anything memory-specific they devise for the X99-E WS can be cross-compiled onto their other X99 models as needed).

It's what we saw on most "first wave" motherboards when migrating to DDR3, and when migrating to DDR2 before that.

Really? Cos on the i7-5820K/5930K/5960X spec sheet and on ark.intel, the maximum memory size was listed as 64GB @_@

Techotic
Level 7
Corsair also has a 128GB DDR4 (8x16GB) Dominiator Platinum Kit @ $2,119 USD - product page HERE.

The sticks are installed on a Rampage V Extreme - which also is on the list of compatible motherboards HERE.

I'm sure there will be a BIOS update sometime soon.

marlowe
Level 7
I think ASUS will update R5E bios soon

Axle_Grease
Level 7
Cool bananas!
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

Korth
Level 14
There's already X99 mobos which mount 128GB, even 256GB. C610 Series (Xeon) mobos are typically 1TB or more per processor.

That listed Intel spec for "Max Memory Size (dependent on memory type)" assumes single-ranked quad-channel UDIMMs (and it already lists at least 768GB for most of the X99-compatible E5-16xx-3/26xx-3 procs since these are already assumed to use multi-ranked RDIMMs). 8GB UDIMMs and 256GB RDIMMs are already available, 16GB and 512GB capacities are "coming soon".

Intel's i7-4790K ark sheet likewise specifies 32GB. And 64GB Z97 mobos are available. DDR3 DIMMs were never seriously expected to exceed 2GB or perhaps 4GB capacities during it's introduction, yet many of the "first" DDR3 mobos were subsequently updated to support these larger RAM capacities.

Mobo manufacturers can always multiply capacities with more memory controller parts, buffers, and glue logic. Not infinitely, of course: practical limits are imposed by performance electrical "real estate" on the PCB, complexity, and demand. More parts adds more latency (and instability) and cost.

DDR4 manufacturers can always multiply capacities with more ranks. First they simply double it by using the other side of the DIMM PCB, then they use higher-density smaller-package chips (or taller PCBs, if necessary) to pack on more and more addressable RAM. Mobo manufacturers can only update their boards and QVL-test memory as it actually becomes available to them, but they tend to plan ahead because we've all seen Moore's Law at work for many years already.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Raja
Level 13
We already have a UEFI build that helps with 128GB (been working with Corsair and Patriot). There is always some offset between the product pages and release schedules. Just a heads up for anyone actually thinking of buying such kits; even if one has a CPU with a very good memory controller, over DDR4-2400 can require case by case tuning. None of these configs are going to be plug-and-play for all CPUs. Even some of the best CPUs need manual tuning at DDR4-2666 with this memory density.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
We already have a UEFI build that helps with 128GB (been working with Corsair and Patriot).

Any ideas when this build will be availabe? I have the Corsair 128GB kit and it is now really dificult to remain patient while waiting for the new BIOS (current latest BIOS 1401 gives an error code "53"). Many thanks.