cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY 32GB of RAM, have you guys experienced memory errors?

ludesign_bg
Level 7
I got memory errors (memtest86+), more information in my other thread. The laptop got serviced by ASUS and they replied that the original Hyundai memory module was placed in slot #3 (the problematic slot) and the laptop is now running without memory errors (corruption).

This is really strange for me and I wasn't able to find any information on the topic, I have build many computers and I know the timings and Hz are important, dual chanel and etc. but never heard of this specific requirement. It seems to apply only when all 4 slots are used and from ASUS refuse to provide me with more technical information. The only response I get is "well ASUS told so and it is now working".

So I am looking for help here, do you have experienced any issues at all and what slot the Hyundai memory is installed (was on #1 and ASUS moved it to #3 to stop the errors).

p.s. I am not implying it is not possible to be a configuration requirement but I do not see the reasoning behind it, so I am looking for more information.

Thank you all!
2 REPLIES 2

Zombievac
Level 9
Boy, you got me on this one. I THINK it might have to do with the fact that the later you are in the memory slot order (0-3), the lower or "looser" the timings (CAS latency) are. So, you probably do have a defective RAM module (doesn't run at the listed spec), but it doesn't matter with the looser timings in slot 2-3 (or 3-4 if you're not calling slot 1 slot 0, which is actually how they're listed). That's my guess at least.

They should have replaced the module, but got away with giving you a workaround instead. That's ASUS for ya. Great hardware designs, TERRIBLE support and terrible software engineers.

Edweird
Level 10
Yeah, sounds real iffy. Might be related to some kind of standardized internal process they're using for troubleshooting repairs. Might be something specific about that type of module being in that slot, but it's a long shot at best.