cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula-Z random freeze on AA Q-code

agibaer
Level 7
Hi!

I installed my new rig yesterday, started fine the first time I turned it on. A few hour later it froze while idle. Since then it keeps randomly freezing in random time intervalls, no matter if idle or gaming.

The only thing that's always the same is the "AA" Q-code on the motherboard.

I disabled EVERY related item I could find under Windows power management, downloaded a tool that supposedly prevents everything from "going to sleep", but the freeze still happens.

I used the overwatch on AISuite to record temperature etc., but there is no peak or anything before the PC freezes.

Any ideas?

Specs:

BIOS: 2201
CPU: AMD FX 9590 Black Edition with Liquid Cooling System
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 970 Gaming 4096MB
RAM: HyperX Savage HX316C9SRK4/32 4x8GB (1600MHz, CL9) DDR3-RAM
Power: Corsair RM Series 1000
SSD: Samsung SSD Evo 850 120GB
Drives: 3xHDD 3TB each, 1xBD-RE
Case: Cooler Master HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Big-Tower, 3 case fans connected to motherboard

All drivers are up to date, System not overclocked..
21 REPLIES 21

TheNerdBench
Level 10
Hi and welcome to the ASUS ROG Forum,

Thanks for posting a photo but it is really hard to tell...do you have BOTH the 8-Pin and 4-Pin EATX12V connectors "populated"?

Also just for good measure I would also populate the 4-Pin Molex connector just above the PCIe slot located near the CPU socket.

With this being a new build just about any component could be suspect. What I would do at this point is the following:

1) run only 1 memory module in the DIMM_A2 slot (see page 1-9 of the manual)*
* it is very easy NOT to get the memory modules installed correctly due to the "one ejector" setup of the memory sockets
2) remove all external USB devices
3) plug your keyboard and mouse into the black USB 2.0 ports on the back panel
4) disable all power saving options in the BIOS (you will have to research this one)
5) boot into the BIOS and let your system sit there for a few hours just to rule out any Windows issues*
* I am not a fan of Windows updates...just install Windows without any updates until you verify your system is "good"
6) once you have a system that is stable in the BIOS go ahead and boot Windows up

Post back please with what you find out!

[/HR]
For trouble-shooting tips see my blog at:

[/HR]
http://thenerdbench.blogspot.com/p/bench-testing.html

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

agibaer
Level 7
Hi!

Thanks for your reply.
I only connected the 8-pin. If I remember correctly, in the quick Setup guide there was an "or" between the 8-pin and 4-pin, so I assumed it's either the one or the other.

I already did 1-4. I'll have a look and see if I missed one of the power Options in the BIOS.

I'm currently at work. I'll plug in the 4-pin EATX12V and the molex when I get home, maybe that will settle the Problem. I'll boot to BIOS and let it run while im sleeping to see if it freezes there as well.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
For the FX-8000 series CPUs with no OCing you can "get away" with using only the 8-Pin Aux CPU power but with the FX-9000 series CPUs you will need to have ALL Aux CPU Power Connectors going...the Molex connector is more for the PCIe bus for dual card configurations but I would still plug it in.

Also if you computer does freeze in the BIOS it isn't the end of the world as my system does that also from time to time.

Again keep us posted on your progress!

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]
MB: Crosshair V Formula-Z • CPU: FX-8350 • GPU: Asus Matrix R9 280x • RAM: 8GB of Crucial Ballistix Tactical Tracer (1866)• PSU: Thermaltake DPS Thoughpower 750 Watt • CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Frio Advanced • Keyboard: TT Sports Challanger Ultimate • Mouse: TT Sports Black Element • Case: Thermaltake GT Level 10

[/HR]

agibaer
Level 7
Well, I connected all power, 8- and 4-pin AUX and 4-pin Molex.

Sadly, no change. In Windows as well as in BIOS the PC freezes after a random amount of time, no error codes except the "AA".

I tried again with only one RAM, cycling through all four of them, the freeze happens with every one of them.

I took the rig apart and reconnected everything, just to be sure that all connections are holding fast, no change.

I think I deactivated all power saving options in the BIOS, double checked that.

Recorded again with AISuite, no spikes before the freeze.

BIOS reset to factory settings I did as well.

EDIT: I had one error code "66" now at a freeze, the other times always "AA".

EDIT2: I downloaded and ran Heavy Duty. The PC froze once after 8 mins at 100%, once after 21 mins. That's about what happens at idle, too. So I think RAM and CPU should be ok?

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi agibaer

Your FX- 9590 has a 220 TDP Draw and the Cooler Master Seidon 120mm is really for an Intel processor of lower TDP.

The FX-9590 gets hot fast, and you really should have a duel 120mm Fan and radiator, like the Corsair H105 or 110.

Have you checked your temps whilst in Bios? cause it certainly seems to me you are inadequately cooled.

Please check the temps at stock frequency whilst at idle, should be around 26-30c max. (or 10-15c above ambient room temperature)

Please report back.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

agibaer
Level 7
The cooler came with the processor. It has a radiator and two 120mm fans.

I ran Core Temp all the time since I put together my rig and it ranges from a low of ~15°C to a high of 64°C, that was when I ran the Heavy Load at 100% for about 20 mins.

I have four case fans all together, MB temp never exceeded 45°C.

I entered BIOS several times after a freeze to check on the temperatures, always around 30°c.

blppt
Level 7
"The cooler came with the processor. It has a radiator and two 120mm fans."

Trust him----the stock water cooler is barely adequate. The H110 I use is actually 2 140mm fans on one side, and I added two more on the other side.

TheNerdBench
Level 10
With the rig sitting in the BIOS the current cooling should be fine. With that said let's just try to get this system not to freeze in the BIOS.

Try this if you have not already:
0) force the BIOS to manually select a memory speed of 1600 MHz (vs. using the Auto)...this solved my lock-ups once!
1) remove all storage devices data cables and power cables
2) remove all expansion cards except the video card of course
3) re-mount the CPU cooler...make sure to tighten each screw a little bit at a time and keep rotating (reapply thermal grease too)
4) remove keyboard (leave mouse plugged in)

if you are still getting lock-ups then plug in the keyboard and remove the mouse

if you are still getting lock-ups then try the following:
5) can you switch out the video card
6) can you switch out the PSU
7) can you switch out the memory to another type (is this memory on the QVL?

I assume this is all new parts? I hope you observed ESD precautions during assembly 🙂 Did you only insert parts into the motherboard when the PSU switch was in the off/0 position (leave the power cord plugged in as this is what provides a ground from the case to "ground"...trust me...my degree is in electronics).

I am starting to run out of ideas here...you will need to switch out parts to see what the issue is.

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

[/HR]

agibaer
Level 7
I tried 1-3 before, no result. I changed the Memory Speed, booted to BIOS without keyboard, then mouse, no dice. Reinstalled Windows, just to be sure it's not the OS somehow.

I will switch out parts tomorrow, I still have all the parts from my previous rig. I'll also test the new parts on my old MB, if possible.

MB, RAM, PSU, GPU, CPU, SSD are brand new. The case, mouse, keyboard and the HDDs are old, but everything worked fine on my previous rig.

The RAM is not on the QVL, but I read reviews that people use it on the Formula-Z without problems. I made sure that all parts are compatible with the MB before I put together my rig.

I've been putting together my own rigs for over fifteen years now, never had any serious issues. Well, it was just a matter of time, I guess 😄

EDIT: It's the first time I use liquid cooling, though. Maybe I'm doing somethin wrong there?

I plugged the cooling piece into the CPU Header and set the speed to Turbo in BIOS. The two fans are plugged into a single chassis fan header and are set to Standard in BIOS. If I set them any higher, they sound like a plane taking off...