cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thermaltake steals more designs from competitors

xeromist
For years now Thermaltake has been taking liberties with the designs of its competitors. It looks like they showed more cheap rip-offs at Computex. Take a look:

http://www.overclock3d.net/reviews/cases_cooling/thermaltake_designs_at_computex_2015_look_familiar/...
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
7 REPLIES 7

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Seems like both them and In Win has decided it is more cost effective to copy CaseLabs than design their own.

Nate152
It's a shame to see this really, I have the thermaltake armor VH6000 and I don't recall it being copied from any other pc case. It seems they've lost their style and which direction to go with their pc cases.

Caselabs is probably the best pc cases available and for thermaltake to copy them isn't saying much for their ingenuity and creativity in pc case design.

This makes me look down on thermaltake for copying caselabs cases, they could have at least used their own style.

Shame on you thermaltake !

Bonemane
Level 8
No surprise since they're known for lying about their products (buy a 15.1" laptop stand from them and you'll see that it barely holds a 14" laptop.)

I thought they had an OEM deal too when I first glanced at their site and could've sworn it said "Caselabs" on all of them (must've been a mistake on their part when they copied and pasted from Caselab's site.) I've admired Thermaltake's case designs in the past (at least what I thought was original), but as far as their other products its been pretty "meh, I only bought your stuff because you're the only company that makes it. Other than that its pretty average quality"

With this move though it seems like a blatant Micro$oft-esque tactic mirroring what they did to Apple back in the day since they'll obviously be selling these way cheaper than Caselab.
Welcome to the jungle -
Google+ - Bonemane
Facebook - Bonemane Reviews

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bonemane wrote:
since they'll obviously be selling these way cheaper than Caselab.

Hello

Made from thin stamped metal and plastic they should be considerably cheaper. I spent $800.00+ for my CasLabs case and having experience in both manufacturing and retail products I can honestly say it is worth every penny. I'm not sure many could state the same about these copied cases even with their reduced pricing.

The market will make its decision.

As enthusiasts, we have an obligation to ourselves to research components thoroughly before purchasing - the common PC owner (not intended to insult the non-enthusiasts out there) doesn't care as much about high performance, and likely would purchase a cheap rip-off to have the look he/she desires for a build.

That said, and as a Case Labs owner (pronounced, "zealot"), I will say that those of us who have helped boutiques like Case Labs will not settle for any rip-offs. I haven't found any projections as to the cost of the Mag rip-off (because, that's exactly what that is), but I can't see Thermaltake charging less than $400 regardless of materials used. For that, I and most enthusiasts, will go with CL.

The bottom line: Thermaltake will harm the consumer market, and ultimately, its own reputation. The cases didn't piss me off as much as the GPU waterblock shown in the video, because that's the kind of oversight that leads to damaged hardware, reputation, etc.

Z

Dr. Zchivago wrote:

Yes, except I fear it will make the wrong decision. I suppose for a small made-to-order outfit like CaseLabs this has got to sting but they don't have a lot of overhead and their customer base knows what's up. Fractal Design has more to lose because it needs those retail sales from less savvy buyers to cover overhead. If Tt undercuts FD with visually identical cases I know what the market will decide. FD is either going to get squeezed or cut corners to compete. 😞
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Yes, except I fear it will make the wrong decision. I suppose for a small made-to-order outfit like CaseLabs this has got to sting but they don't have a lot of overhead and their customer base knows what's up. Fractal Design has more to lose because it needs those retail sales from less savvy buyers to cover overhead. If Tt undercuts FD with visually identical cases I know what the market will decide. FD is either going to get squeezed or cut corners to compete. 😞

I expect the 'corner-cutting;' but, if FD, CL, or any of the others have a legal case, then I expect this will be addressed in court before long.

Z