cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange voltage spikes on Rampage 3 Extreme

JammyCake
Level 7
I have a 5 year old system, but it was working fine until I started getting random reboots. Watching the temperature and voltages, and after installing "AI Suite 2" to watch, I get strange voltage low spikes, and AI Suite is giving me low voltage warnings again and again. I haven't installed anything lately and it has a clean startup (registry windows/run, etc). It just started doing this a few days ago, during a movie and some torrents. These voltage spikes weren't there when I configured this system. Please help! Maybe the supply is failing. Maybe the motherboard. IDK. Temps seem fine, watching CPUID HWM.. SB 70C, NB 68C, CPUTIN 48C but spiked on startup 122C which could be sensor bug, and AUXTIN 39C but spiked 110C sometime after startup. wth.

System
Win 7/64 SP1 build 7601
BIOS v0903
i7 X980
24GB 1600MHz
SLI 2x GTX 680
8 REPLIES 8

JammyCake
Level 7
It rebooted again overnight, while it was doing "nothing." Setting the Load Line Calibration to Full may have helped a little, as it was rebooting frequently and in-use. But it still shat the bed.

I looked at the event logs. System tells me it was unexpected after it turns back on.

Raja
Level 13
Which other monitoring utilities do you have installed on the system?

JammyCake
Level 7
Raja@ASUS wrote:
Which other monitoring utilities do you have installed on the system?

CPUID Hardware Monitor, and AI Suite 2.

I managed to back up my mirror last night, had one reboot during, and another one overnight. During that first reboot, this time it gave me a BSoD for the Cache_Manager. So I did a Windows Memory Diagnostic on standard settings, no issues found yet.

JammyCake
Level 7
Well, I can't get it to come on anymore. Left it off most of Saturday, figured if I can still use the system I can deal with it failing from time to time, until newer hardware comes out. But Saturday afternoon I tried turning it on, and the fans come on but the motherboard won't pass POST. Seems to be trying different boot settings as it continually restarts but never reaches BIOS. Ordered a fx-8350 setup to replace it, but it kind of feels like a bit of a downgrade. Will be overclocking, maybe I can get it back up to par. I did have this 980X setup overclocked in the beginning for a couple of years until it became unstable. Had it at 4.2GHz, and then eventually became unstable at 3.33GHz.

I'll still try replacing the RAM and see if dual-channel memory solves the problem. Honestly I'm just sick of dealing with its constant, increasing instability.

Raja
Level 13
Using Hwmonitor with AI suite can cause erroneous readings. That said, in your case maybe there was an issue.

JammyCake
Level 7
I'm suspecting it's a RAM issue. Using six 4GB sticks in triple channel. They ran HOT without any memory cooling for years. As I stated, it won't POST so it's not a software HW-monitor problem... and AI Suite had been giving those warnings before I ran CPU-HWmonitor....

Raja
Level 13
If AI suite reports stuff like that it is almost always because something else that is polling the super IO/SM bus is being run at the same time. The system would not be running if some of those voltages were really dipping.

jaggerwild
Level 7
PLL @ 1.8 probably aint helping it any
Asus X79 DELUXE
3930K WATER
2X Intel 520 Raid o
2X GTX 780ti DCII OC WATER
16 GB G skill 2133
Corsiar AX1200
Acer 24" 1080
Swiftech MCP655 Vari
HWlabs 3/120
Asus DVD

BLIND BIOS FLASH LINK http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?12749-RIVE-BIOS-FlashBack