cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help please! - Can't expand boot partition!

Ur_HeartBeat
Level 7
Hey guys, so I have a G750 JZ, and it came with a 256GB SSD, and a 1TB HDD.

The HDD was originally just one partition, and I split it into two and everything works fine.

The SSD, by default had a 90GB partition for Windows (8.1 pro) and another partition with 121GB of free space.

I've tried shrinking or even completely deleting the second partition on the SSD because I want to expand the Windows partition, but for some reason it won't let me, and I can't figure out how. Like when I shrink/delete the second partition, in disk manager it'll show up as unallocated, but the "extend" option for the Windows partition is always greyed out.

I usually use EaseUS Partition Master to manage my drives, but I've tried expanding it directly from the Windows disk manager, as well as other partition managing software, and the end result is always the same.

Some additional info, the two drives aren't in RAID 0, at least I don't think they are. It's just two different drives in the two slots.

I'll upload screenies of the managers, both the Windows one, and the EaseUS one.

Basically for the ones on Disk 0, the normal HDD, Gaming (D) and Stuff (E) everything works perfectly fine.

For Disk 1, Windows (C) is the one I'm trying to expand. SSD (F) is just sitting there empty, and when I shrink/delete it, the 121GB just shows up as unallocated space, and the only option I have on it is to either make a new partition, or leave it. When I try to expand Windows (C), the option is greyed out.

Any help will be much appreciated!

Thank You in advanced!

Cheers! 🙂
3 REPLIES 3

THempleman
Level 9
Use BACKTRACKER to image C, then reformat and reload.
Or, clone C to hdd, reformat and reclone to ssd.
Or install new OS and Partition Master on hdd, and work ssd from there.
Or, clean install on ssd, which is what I apparently wasted my time doing.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Ur_HeartBeat wrote:

The HDD was originally just one partition, and I split it into two and everything works fine.

The SSD, by default had a 90GB partition for Windows (8.1 pro) and another partition with 121GB of free space.

I've tried shrinking or even completely deleting the second partition on the SSD because I want to expand the Windows partition, but for some reason it won't let me, and I can't figure out how. Like when I shrink/delete the second partition, in disk manager it'll show up as unallocated, but the "extend" option for the Windows partition is always greyed out.

I usually use EaseUS Partition Master to manage my drives, but I've tried expanding it directly from the Windows disk manager, as well as other partition managing software, and the end result is always the same.

Some additional info, the two drives aren't in RAID 0, at least I don't think they are. It's just two different drives in the two slots.

I'll upload screenies of the managers, both the Windows one, and the EaseUS one.

Basically for the ones on Disk 0, the normal HDD, Gaming (D) and Stuff (E) everything works perfectly fine.

For Disk 1, Windows (C) is the one I'm trying to expand. SSD (F) is just sitting there empty, and when I shrink/delete it, the 121GB just shows up as unallocated space, and the only option I have on it is to either make a new partition, or leave it. When I try to expand Windows (C), the option is greyed out.

Thank You in advanced!

Cheers! 🙂

Hi Ur_HeartBeat,
Try this thread below, this may help you with your issue.

Hi kvancamp, and welcome to the Asus ROG forum....

Good luck my friend, hope this works for you.
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

leafwarbler
Level 7
Ur_HeartBeat wrote:

Thank You in advanced!

Cheers! 🙂

If Windows Disk Management cannot help you, maybe you can try MiniTool Partition. There is free edition you can try. The RESIZE function/ EXTEND function would like help you.