cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please choose the best gaming laptop out of the following?

Raj_Kumar
Level 7
Please choose the best gaming laptop out of the following

1.Asus G551JK-DM053H ROG Series Core i7 (4710HQ) - (15.6 in/1 TB HDD/8 GB/ 2GB ddr3 850m) RS 81,990

2.Asus G551JX-DM036H ROG Series Core i7 (4720HQ) - (15 in /1 TB HDD/16 GB DDR3/ 2GB ddr3 950m) RS 87,990

3.HP Envy 15-k203tx Notebook (5th Gen Ci7 (5500U)/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1/ 4GB ddr3 850m ) (K8U29PA) RS 79,999

4.Lenovo Y50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci7(4710HQ)/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1/ 4GB ddr5 860m) (59-441908) RS 78,950

Also suggest any other gaming laptop within rs 90,000 that is available in India.

P.S. The Asus laptops come with free gaming mouse and headsets. The Hp laptop is touchscreen though it is not a must - have feature for me. The display of Lenovo is quite bad as per some of the reviews that I have read.

All prices are quoted from flipkart.com

I look forward to playing games like watch dogs, call of duty ghosts and advanced warfare, battlefield 4, crysis 2, etc. on decent frame rates. Thanks for your answer and pardon my English 🙂

FYI, rs 90, 000 = 1400$:rolleyes:
18 REPLIES 18

Asoryu
Level 9
Raj Kumar wrote:
Please choose the best gaming laptop out of the following

1.Asus G551JK-DM053H ROG Series Core i7 (4710HQ) - (15.6 in/1 TB HDD/8 GB/ 2GB ddr3 850m) RS 81,990

2.Asus G551JX-DM036H ROG Series Core i7 (4720HQ) - (15 in /1 TB HDD/16 GB DDR3/ 2GB ddr3 950m) RS 87,990

3.HP Envy 15-k203tx Notebook (5th Gen Ci7 (5500U)/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1/ 4GB ddr3 850m ) (K8U29PA) RS 79,999

4.Lenovo Y50-70 Notebook (4th Gen Ci7(4710HQ)/ 8GB/ 1TB/ Win8.1/ 4GB ddr5 860m) (59-441908) RS 78,950

Also suggest any other gaming laptop within rs 90,000 that is available in India.

P.S. The Asus laptops come with free gaming mouse and headsets. The Hp laptop is touchscreen though it is not a must - have feature for me. The display of Lenovo is quite bad as per some of the reviews that I have read.

All prices are quoted from flipkart.com

I look forward to playing games like watch dogs, call of duty ghosts and advanced warfare, battlefield 4, crysis 2, etc. on decent frame rates. Thanks for your answer and pardon my English 🙂

FYI, rs 90, 000 = 1400$:rolleyes:

Avoid the ASUS products at all costs, they use substandard hardware and refuse to support their product.

Asoryu wrote:
Avoid the ASUS products at all costs, they use substandard hardware and refuse to support their product.

That is funny, I would I've said the exact opposite. I've owed 3 ROGs and it always been very solid. I've sold my 2 previous to family members are still running great., Awesome machines

Asoryu wrote:

Here is some free life advice. Quit obsessing about your ESDF issue and take some ownership. You could of taken the laptop back when you had the chance. If it is something that critical and important to you, you should of tested for it earlier. It is a design limitation that you have made fully known, thanks for that. It is not a defective part, it is not realistic to expect a fix. No need to continually waste your time and emotional energy spreading vitriol on the board, you are only bringing yourself down.

Back on topic, if gaming is your top concern out of those options go with the Lenovo, it has the better graphics card. The graphics card is my the sole deciding factor, i'm not familiar with the laptop personally.

joshindaphils wrote:
Here is some free life advice. Quit obsessing about your ESDF issue and take some ownership. You could of taken the laptop back when you had the chance. If it is something that critical and important to you, you should of tested for it earlier. It is a design limitation that you have made fully known, thank for that. It is not a defective part, it is not realistic to expect a fix. No need to continually waste your time and emotional energy spreading vitriol on the board, you are only bringing yourself down.

Back on topic, if gaming is your top concern go with the Lenovo, it has the better graphics card. The graphics card is my the sole deciding factor, i'm not familiar with the laptop personally.

Yes a 1500 dollar gaming laptop that uses the same keyboard as their lowest end laptop. (I did some testing this afternoon at some resellers)
I just thought that ASUS would have enough sense to use a better keyboard in a product billed as a gaming machine with a gaming machine price tag.
Yet my 13 dollar Logitech keyboard has better NKRO than my 1500 dollar gaming laptop.

We'll also ignore the 2 other issues that were not properly addressed and the damage done to my laptop at their facility. Yea lets also forget them not responding to my initial support tickets and failing to respond to replies, failing to make a call back when promised.
I just need to take ownership.

Korth
Level 14
Ha, that seems like unlikely advice on forums owned, operated, and paid for by Asus.

To be fair - no laptop brand and no laptop model is completely perfect. They all have issues, problems, quirks, and compromises, it doesn't matter who made them. Support by Asus (or any other company) will also vary from region to region and country to country, no matter how much they attempt to unify corporate operations worldwide. And all the machines you list are basically made in Taiwan, the specific parts within them might even be made at the very same manufacturing plants.

If brand is important to you then the best you can do is read online reviews posted by consumers in your region. My experience with ROG products is that they have robust engineering and quality, Asus is always on my short list for motherboards and graphics cards (and now also monitors) - I'm of the opinion that they're top-quality stuff - but clearly there are people who strongly disagree. I have learned that Asus-Canada is not the same beast as Asus-USA, I have no idea how it may compare vs Asus-India.

If brand is unimportant to you then focus on specs. The games you list will lean heavily on processor and graphics speed, so you want the fastest proc and GPU part combination you can find within budget. The i7-4720HQ is the fastest/best CPU on your list, the 4GB GTX860M is the fastest GPU (not as advanced as the GTX950M but it gains the lead by having double the VRAM). You need 8GB of main RAM, you don't really need 16GB of RAM but it would be put to good use and increase gaming performance. All those devices come with HDDs, an SSD will greatly improve general performance and also improve gaming performance (especially if you have less RAM, and it depends a lot on how each particular game title handles data). Check your options for maximum supported DDR3 capacities/speeds and maximum supported drives, you might be able to upgrade a lesser machine with more. Quality of the display panel is always important, especially if you're loading that GPU with games. Keyboard and touchpad are important because (even if you plug in a gaming keyboard and mouse) you'll find yourself using the laptop "as-is" quite a lot. Battery life matters to anyone who actually wants to be mobile, and those mid-/high-powered laptops will suck a lot of power when everything's running full bore, you may want a spare battery or some kind of bigger battery or mobile power adapter if per-charge lifespan isn't sufficient for your planned usage. USB and LAN and WiFi and even video outputs could also be considerations - figure out what you'll need to plug into your machine and cross anything off your list which doesn't offer enough ports/connectors.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Korth wrote:
Ha, that seems like unlikely advice on forums owned, operated, and paid for by Asus.

To be fair - no laptop brand and no laptop model is completely perfect. They all have issues, problems, quirks, and compromises, it doesn't matter who made them. Support by Asus (or any other company) will also vary from region to region and country to country, no matter how much they attempt to unify corporate operations worldwide. And all the machines you list are basically made in Taiwan, the specific parts within them might even be made at the very same manufacturing plants.

Yes, lets be completely fair.

My Dell Cad laptop had a defective bluray drive. I called them, they helped me test it and when they determined it was defective they gave me multiple options on how to get it repaired. I chose the one where they sent a technician directly to my work and fixed it and all of my other problems.
My ASUS gaming laptop, my only option is to send it on a 3 week tour of the united states so their repair facility can damage my laptop, and not even look at 2 of the 3 issues and do absolutely no testing on the problem they claimed to fix.
Now they answer about 25% of my emails (48 turn around) and they can't decide what I should do first, try to get their repair facility to acknowledge there is a problem and fix it, or repair the damage their technicians did the first time.

Dell, less than 3 days to acknowledge and repair 2 problems.
ASUS, 4 months, no resolution and now they're ignoring emails and giving me the runaround. Basically they're telling me that I just wasted 1500 dollars (not to mention the 500+ dollars I spent on extras but at least I can reuse that stuff)

I'm not asking for perfection, I'm asking them to fix the problems I have and to repair the damage they did. I have to deal with 2 people through email with 48 hour turnaround and they only answer maybe half the messages the first time if I'm lucky.

Korth wrote:

If brand is important to you then the best you can do is read online reviews posted by consumers in your region. My experience with ROG products is that they have robust engineering and quality, Asus is always on my short list for motherboards and graphics cards (and now also monitors) - I'm of the opinion that they're top-quality stuff - but clearly there are people who strongly disagree. I have learned that Asus-Canada is not the same beast as Asus-USA, I have no idea how it may compare vs Asus-India.

If brand is unimportant to you then focus on specs. The games you list will lean heavily on processor and graphics speed, so you want the fastest proc and GPU part combination you can find within budget. The i7-4720HQ is the fastest/best CPU on your list, the 4GB GTX860M is the fastest GPU (not as advanced as the GTX950M but it gains the lead by having double the VRAM). You need 8GB of main RAM, you don't really need 16GB of RAM but it would be put to good use and increase gaming performance. All those devices come with HDDs, an SSD will greatly improve general performance and also improve gaming performance (especially if you have less RAM, and it depends a lot on how each particular game title handles data). Check your options for maximum supported DDR3 capacities/speeds and maximum supported drives, you might be able to upgrade a lesser machine with more. Quality of the display panel is always important, especially if you're loading that GPU with games. Keyboard and touchpad are important because (even if you plug in a gaming keyboard and mouse) you'll find yourself using the laptop "as-is" quite a lot. Battery life matters to anyone who actually wants to be mobile, and those mid-/high-powered laptops will suck a lot of power when everything's running full bore, you may want a spare battery or some kind of bigger battery or mobile power adapter if per-charge lifespan isn't sufficient for your planned usage. USB and LAN and WiFi and even video outputs could also be considerations - figure out what you'll need to plug into your machine and cross anything off your list which doesn't offer enough ports/connectors.

no, the gtx 860m is better than 950m in all respects and alos it supports txaa which is not supported by 950m (source: nvidia website) and all the machines support 16gb of ram also all the brands that i have listed offer good service (at my home) so service wouldn't be a problem

joshindaphils
Level 11
Asoryo, you are off topic here, and at least half the topics you are posting on. You'll have to forgive me if I can't follow all of your post across half a dozen topics or more.

If you would change your attitude and quite spamming messages everywhere there is a good chance board members could help you with your other issues.

I suggest you search the board for existing topics on your other two issues and read up and communicate on those there, if no such topics exist create a new topic. This is the proper etiquette, you will find people are far more willing to help when you do such things.

Korth
Level 14
I don't personally have experience with either (let alone both) of those mobile GPUs. My statement was based on a few quick searches, one of the better results being this GPUBoss comparison. My general view of GPU cards is that particular specs and capacities are not as important as actual real-world fps performance, unless some specific capacity (number of discrete GPGPU cores or VRAM capacity/bandwidth or whatever) is the bottleneck on the particular games/apps/tasks the GPU card is going to be used for - and the 860M put out more fps than the 950M on the (few) benchmarking sites I found. Not sure I'd go so far as to say the "860M is better than 950M in all respects", although I did comment that the 4GB 860M is faster than the 2GB 950M (for your needs) and you seem to not be disagreeing, lol.

According to NVidia, some of the games on your list (CoD:Ghosts and Watch_Dogs) do use TXAA. If that's important to you then simply cross non-TXAA laptops off your list. I've seen a lot of TXAA and I think it is of course pretty good but I was decidedly underwhelmed, I suppose it's nice to have but I wouldn't consider a major deal-maker or deal-breaker. Other people (a lot of other people, it seems) swear by TXAA very passionately and report that it's a major enhancement of the graphically immersive experience. It's not a love-it-or-hate-it thing, but it seems to depend a lot on subjective bias and you might have to be something you can only evaluate for yourself with a direct side-by-side comparison. Finer visual detail is less important on larger resolutions because the raw number of moving pixels in your face still present an awesome environment, but tricks like TXAA might have a much more noticeable impact on lower resolution panels (like laptop displays).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]