cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading the gtx 965m to a 980m?

bcasio
Level 7
I was wondering if it was possible to switch out the nvidia gtx 965m with a 980m. Would I see much improvement on performance when playing games like gta5. Thanks.
8 REPLIES 8

Prostar_Compute
Level 9
As far as I'm aware, it is not possible to upgrade the GPU. The 980M is a considerable step above the 965M, though.

We customize Asus, MSI, and Clevo laptops!

Edweird
Level 10
No, it is not possible to upgrade, the GPU is soldered onto the motherboard. The cooling system may be insufficient to cool the much more powerful GPU - I'm not sure if the JL variety comes with the same cooling system. If it does, I'm guessing your average temps are around 65-70 degrees. It looks like it is the same system judging by ASUS' website.

AsSaSsInJ0HN
Level 7
they have same mobo and Chasis... so hmm........... chances are there i gues.. but i am not sure

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
No you can't. Unless you want to replace the motherboard, which is where the gpu is soldered.

bcasio
Level 7
Oh ok. I thought the graphics card was separate from the main board like it seen in a couple other brands.

Edweird
Level 10
Don't know brands you've been looking at but I'm going to guess Clevo and Alienware, but they use MXM boards, which are extremely expensive and currently not worth purchasing imo.

The difference in price between an ASUS and Alienware comes from things like this.

Currently, a MXM 980M would set you back a minimum of $650.

GhostriderZ85
Level 7
The g751 only have 1 motherboard and a daughterboard for the usb, you can't replace the gpu alone

Retired
Not applicable
Sorry for hijacking this thread, but what about a little detout?

My G752VL has a GTX965M and a Thunderbolt 3 port. So, what about an external TB-3 PCIe-Slot and put in a fullsize 1070ti or a 1080? On paper, this should work. Any suggestions?