cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built in RAID in Rampage V?

matrixleader
Level 8
Is the RAID in Rampage V that you can sleect in the BIOS considered to be a dedicated hardware RAID or is it like the RAID in laptops which relies on the CPU to do all the operations and thus hurting CPU performance?

I know there is like software RAID and hardware RAID and if it isn't a dedicated RAID controller, even if done at the BIOS level is still considered a software RAID.

Reason I ask is the ASRock Extreme 11 motherboard claims that it has an onboard RAID controller so Im confused as to which motherboard to buy
5 REPLIES 5

Korth
Level 14
Software RAID. Although Intel's hardware "acceleration" is supposed to be integrated within the X99 PCH, so I'm guessing that the CPU hit is pretty light. My striped RAIDs multiply R/W throughputs about exactly as expected and seem to use < 0.1% CPU resources (as reported by the Windows Task Manager, anyhow, since I haven't yet figured out the linux OS counterparts).
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

matrixleader
Level 8
thanks guys, what about the ASRock that claims it has a built in RAID controller? do you think that's really a dedicated RAID controller or same story as with the ASUS Rampage V?

Praz
Level 13
Hewllo

Need to ask ASRock tech support about their products. Built-in or not one is better off with a proper RAID add-in card.

Korth
Level 14
The X99 chipset - at least the DH82031PCH/SLKDE(B1) version used in my RVE, I hear there is another stepping but can find no info - will allow a single RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD composed of up to six discrete drives/devices. (I know the Intel literature claims otherwise, maybe I didn't install some RST driver properly or something, but I have never been able to get more than a single X99-serviced RAID configuration to operate.) The ASMedia controller can run a RAID 0/1 composed of (exactly) two drives. You can also gain RAID-like performance from PCIe/M.2 SSD devices which use an embedded RAID/RAIN and multiple controllers/banks, these are seen by the motherboard as a single drive even though are they essentially 2-4 (or more) semi-independent drives sharing a single PCB. Many people report setup issues involving RAID boot/system drives on the RVE (and there's no polite way to say this, but I suspect most of them didn't bother to read their user manuals). And RAIDs are usually "broken" when BIOS/firmware updates are applied, it's often possible to rebuild them but always best to back them up beforehand.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]