cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus V Formula PS2 Keyboard Support?

Zea
Level 7
I need to preface this with 'I'm just a bit beyond a basic user' as far as my technical skills go; I normally do not dabble in any overclocking, and I can normally figure stuff out, but this is one of those cases where I plain ol' have no clue what else I can check, so I'm now going to seek guidance.

I just recently got my hands on a 'new to me' rig using with a Maximus V Formula motherboard. Works great, got everything configured, except for one thing: I can't get it to support any PS2 devices. Most specifically, my keyboard. Normally not a big deal, just go buy a new one 'cause I'm upgrading, but it's got a non-standard layout that is a smidge on the difficult side to find (Impossible to find on a good gaming keyboard), and after nearly 15 years of using this layout, I'm muscle reflex attached to it. I've connected it via a USB adapter, I know that it is getting power as it lights up and keys respond to being pressed (Advanced function key light turns on / off, though others such as num / caps lock don't). I've tried multiple keyboards as well just to make 100% sure I'm not missing anything, and verified that the keyboard does work on other devices (Laptop) with the same USB Adapter.

I'm currently running the 1903 bios on the board, and from everything I've found / seen, I'm not finding a PS2 controller in the bios under the fast boot section as indicated in the manual. Was it removed in this version of the bios, or am I blind? I currently am using the window 7 64 bit version as I'm not running windows 8, and I'm unsure if I'd cause issues swapping to a windows 8 version, but am more than willing to try that if that's what I need to do. I've tried rolling back to version 701 as well and had no luck there, and it was missing from the 1707 version that the board came with, though I haven't checked all the other versions in between; that'll be my next option.

Would anyone be able to point me in the right direction or tell me what I'm quite obviously missing in getting my great ol' beast of a keyboard working again, rather than my dinky little $10 wally-world-half-sized-delete-key-special? Thanks for taking the time to look this one over.
1 REPLY 1

Zea
Level 7
Update: My keyboard now works!

I had to get one of the USB to Dual adaptors, and ensure that it was connected in a non-USB 3 slot for it to work.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007AP2O - I apologize if I'm breaking rules by providing a link to a similar part to what I used, but I figured that'd be the easiest way to say 'This is what I used'. I did not use that exact product, but I figured I might as well post an update for anyone that does end up searching for the same solution.