cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GTX 460 Hissing/ringing sound. Any one got a fix?

Retired
Not applicable
I have this card. While folding it makes a very loud high pitched hissing sound. I can't seem to be able to find a fix for it that does not void the warranty. Is there anything that I can do to make it go away? I really do not want to have to send the card back and get another brand because I am building a custom Asus themed case.
7 REPLIES 7

xeromist
I have some water cooled 8800GTX cards (BFG branded) that whine. When under stress the capacitors start to squeal. Nothing can be done except to replace the capacitors which would be a lot of hard work and definitely void your warranty.

If it's really more of a hissing than a whine then I suppose it could be the fan. You could try forcing a speed change with Rivatuner to see if there's a change.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Yea I think it must be the capacitors because I use a program to set a custom fan profile. I would really like to get a response from Asus about this problem because I am getting close to where I will be able to send it back for a refund.

xeromist
Well then I hope Brian can drop in and talk to you. He's a busy guy but he usually comes by often enough. FYI though, cap whine is not normally considered a manufacturing defect so you'll probably be charged a restocking fee by your retailer.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
JayCop,
The hissing or whining noise is coming from the chokes. It is a vibration that occurs when there is heavy heavy load like furmark or in this case folding. All of the 200 series and 400 series i have ran for folding make this noise, Even ATI cards. Most chokes will have some form of vibration, its just a matter of how long the heavy load is to elongate the vibration. Even in games, it will occur, but in game, you will only be in heavy load for a split second, where you may not even notice the noise coming from the GPU.

Retired
Not applicable
The MSI GTX460 I have in another box does not make this sound at all with all the same settings folding away for the last 5 or 6 days straight. I have a really cool case that is going on the laser cutter in the next week or so. I really want to keep the Asus card and board to keep that awesome ROG red and black theme going through out. I am going to have the front of the case have a cutout that is simalar to the case sticker that comes with the ROG components and The ROG Eye logo in the upper half with red and plack acrylic lit with leds.

Retired
Not applicable
jaycop, MSI actually uses a fully sealed choke so you don't hear the vibration or hissing sound. I wont stop you from buying the MSI card if it accomplishes what you need it to do, but i will also say that just because MSI uses fully sealed chokes and in a folding situation you hear less or no vibrations, doesn't mean the ASUS card is inferior. (not saying you did but for those that may be wondering) there are also many great advantages to the ASUS card like dust proof fans, which we have sealed ball bearing fans to increase fan life. but then again if you go water, that doesn't really matter... very nice heatsink design and the overlocking potential on the ASUS GTX460 is very high compared to many competitors out there. no reference or non reference are ever alike. The Vbios that we have implemented is different to our competitors. so if you you're assuming a GTX460 is the same as any other GTX460, the answer is no, there will always be some difference. even in choke design. Goodluck with your final decision :cool:

Retired
Not applicable
I am sticking with the ASUS 460GTX. For some reason after reinstalling my OS and using all stock settings on the card the noise is pretty much nonexistent. I think it may have been caused by some software conflict perhaps.

On a side note I won the Facebook 580GTX giveaway and cant wait to try that card out.