cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A time to buy or a time to wait? - NVIDIA Big Pascal Taped Out - GP100 Silicon + CPU

Greenfeuer
Level 8
Hey there, Gamers, Crazy Overclockers! Swaggers! Extreme builders! And Man-Cavemasters!

So I was going to buy my new gaming rig as soon as the Asus Strix III 980ti released, but now I have second thoughs.

It seemse in Q1 both the new CPU's and GPU's are released both from intel and Nivida.

And if I buy the new rig in Q1 it will be a whole new rig, since cpu + gpu finally release around same Q.
Yet, its a long time to wait. For maybe just rumors, or is it confirmed?

New GPU's:
http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/nvidia-big-pascal-taped-out-gp100-silicon,2.html
http://www.techpowerup.com/213254/nvidia-tapes-out-pascal-based-gp100-silicon.html

New CPU's:
http://www.guru3d.com/new...s-delayed-to-2016.html

My current computer is a mess, but somhow I am thinking of waiting a half year more before buying, if its really worth it.
But this one is slowly dieing.

Old PC:

GPU: Geforce 8800 GTX "Had 460 before it died on me"
Intel 9450 Quad core 2.66Mhz. - Old school.
Ram/Memory: 6GB of DDR2 ram but only 3.5 is usable due to my gigabyte motherboard slowly failing on me, along with most of my USB ports.
Motherboard: Som old rubbish Gigabyte one.

My new gaming rig plans. Buying from a custom store, so
not all options are avaliable.

CPU
Intel i7-5930K, 6 x 3
50GHz

CPU Cooler
Asetek 570LX - Custom

PSU
Corsair Professional Platinum AX1200i

GPU (Atm choice)
2 x (SLI) ASUS STRIX III 980 ti

Case
NZXT Phantom 820 Full tower - Black

RAM (Not sorted out)
Kingston HyperX Predator 3000Mhz - Or Ripjaws 2666Mhz.

Systemdisk / SSD:

Samsung 1TB SSD 850 EVO

HHD/Storage:
Seagate Barracuda 2000GB 7200 RPM

DVD/Blueray:
ASUS Blu-Ray.

System:
Windows 8.1 64-bit.

Motherboard:
ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme
9 REPLIES 9

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Just rumors...if you can wait then by all means do so but Pascal will probably surface as xx4 like the 680 or the 980 not the big chip and quite likely after the quadro version so maybe q2....later for big pascal similar to Kepler release pattern (my best guess).

GPU in the hand is worth SLI in the bush!

Korth
Level 14
Plain "old" 4GB GTX980 is still mighty GPU power, not as impressive as 980Ti and Titan X, but a whole lotta bang for the buck.

Early-adopters who buy into the latest/greatest top-choice offering are often a bit unhappy in the long run. Unforseen minor bugs and game-specific issues and other little teething pains get found and sorted out over time, but the driver/firmware updates can't always fix noxious flaws on the first-run cards. And within mere months, that king card becomes a little less leet, somebody releases an incremented version of the same thing but with factory overclock and costly (nonreference) improvements to power delivery, cooling, etc. I'm not personally into paying top dollar for the privilege of being a hardware beta tester - but if you must have the very best of the best and "money is no object", then I hope it works out well.

Two 512GB (Samsung 850) SSDs in striped RAID instead of one 1TB SSD will almost double R/W performances for about the same cost.

Plan on buying a single DDR4 kit, mixing multiple kits (even identical kits) causes a lot of hassles and grief. A 4x4GB (or even a SS/8x4GB) kit puts the least strain on your processor's iMC, DS/8x8GB tends to make exact timing/latency configurations a critical issue if you want system stability.

I don't like Corsair PSUs, personally, although they are hugely popular. I would go with an EVGA SuperNova, costs less, specs out just a teeny bit better, that 10 year warranty is hard to beat and promises solid quality.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

And its non confirmed rumors, then I fill pretty stupid to wait around for too long. I hate to wait all the way to q2 or q3....

Greenfeuer
Level 8
To Korth:

Mighty thanks for the respond!

I see and somwhat I prefer 1TB over two in raid 500GB do to failure chances, and the fact my system will be on the 1TB + games.

I plan on buying a single kit so no worries. Whenever I am going with Ripjaws 4 2666mhz or the Kingstons HyperX predator I am not sure. I think Kingston due to various reasons.

I can choose between FSP 1000W Aurum platinum modular and AX1200i, I prefer corsair honestly. Buying from a custom store, so as I said not everything is avaliable. Sadly no EVGA.
Though nice suggestion!

Greenfeuer
Level 8
To Arne:

I would feel stupid if I had to wait all the way to Q2 or Q3 - You never know if they delay. It was more if it was set in stone and was pretty sure to ship at "Q1" that I would maybe wait.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Definitely not set in stone.

Might depend a bit on AMDs offering in the next few days. If, as is rumored their new card is only at about 980Ti performance I can see Nvidia taking their time. If better than Titan X then Nvidia might push a bit harder.

Either way i can imagine cut down "baby" pascal would be out first and following history Feb Mar 2016

680 came out Mar 2012
Titan Feb 2013
780 May 2013
Full chip Titan Black Feb 2014
980 Sep 2014
Titan X Mar 2015

Antronman
Level 10
I really doubt proper Pascal GPUs will be coming out this year.

Wait instead for Radeon Fury. If that's leagues ahead of the 980Ti, grab that instead. If it's as good, you decide which you want. If it's worse, grab the 980Ti.
Say hi to the next generation.

Peace is a lie, there is only Passion

Through passion, I gain strength

Through strength, I gain victory

Through victory, my chains are broken

The Republic of Gamers shall free me

Nearly forgot! Do to the kind of warranti I got where the parts are under full warranty "Even dum luck or dropping the part", not sure new parts "Unless replacement" will be covered by it as of yet, mind aswell check. I don't think I will upgrade alot / keep buying and selling to stay up to date forever.

Got alot of other stuff I wanna focus and spend money on too 🙂

Greenfeuer
Level 8
Hrmm I think I am going with my new build here in June and going with Strix 980 ti - Half a year is a long time and worse if its getting delayed aswell.

So faar my rig is hardly able to play world of warcraft at propper settings, yep thats how bad it is. After my 460 burned out on me.
Not sure how much time will pass before this rig is utterly useless and I may aswell quit gaming to wait for my new rig xD

Thats why I am more drawn to buy now, but I am always the type of person who wanna spend big and well when I do, on som quaility stuff that will
last me a good while 🙂 - Q1 seemse like a good mashed together year with new gpu/cpu and all in one pack but again.. If I wait for the big version
of the new thing, it may take me just as long as I have waited for the 980 ti / Titan to come out xD In other words I be stuck in limbo of the waiting game 🙂

But again, I am in doubt. But I think I may aswell go ahead and buy since what I use can play Witcher 3 or any good games I like propperly after my 460 died on me.
So yeah I think its time to buy 🙂