cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sabertooth X99 - Long POST Time and USB issues - Possible RMA?

mfletcher
Level 7
Hi,

My configuration:
Sabertooth X99 w BIOS 1702
Intel i7 5930 CPU
32GB Crucial DDR4 2400 Memory
Windows 8.1 Professional

Symptoms:
1) Im seeing a long time in POST. Say 10 sec to get the boot screen, and then another 45 secs completing post. During this time, keyboard and mouse (USB) are unresponsive. Once the keyboard and mouse start responding to inputs, the system boots quickly to OS.
2) Once in Windows, I get a message that one of the USB hubs is not working correctly. If I reboot, sometimes this error comes up again, sometimes it clears. I'll get the exact error message when I get home tonight, but I made sure that all drivers were installed. When this error manifests itself, some of the USB ports no longer respond.

Im wondering if anyone else is seeing these issues? Other that what is mentioned, the system is stable. I dont see any blue screens or other issues. But the long POST time is troubling.

Mark
8 REPLIES 8

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi mfletcher and Welcome to ROG

As you have updated Bios and all drivers and barring any physical damage to the port itself, (test by switching to another port) there are also a couple of things to try.

Launch "Device Manager" from the Start Menu type: devmgmt.msc and hit enter.

Expand the section: Universal Serial Bus Controllers, You are now looking for the Host controller and would begin with Intel **** host controller, being specific to your system. (If you don't have one then this is your problem)

Click on: Scan for Hardware changes, to get windows to force check your hardware. (with luck it may pick up the device)
If unsuccessful, you can uninstall all the host controllers, reboot and Windows will reinstall them and this should pick up any not responding.

Whilst in Device manager, Check for superfluous drivers that have been left over and remove them. (I can show you how, if you wish)
Do you have any yellow triangles against any drivers?

If still no headway, then a small registry edit may help.

Go to Start menu and key in regedit. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM> CurrentControlSet> services> USB.
Go to the value DisableSelectiveSuspend and modify this value to 1, (This will disable the selective suspend feature and power will go to your USB ports constantly). If you do not have the DWORD ,I can show you how to create it.

Should these steps fail to remedy the situation, then there are a couple of other steps we can try, Failing those, then it's either a failing device or your MB has a fault. RMA

Hope this helps, Please report back.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Hi Mean Machine,

Heres what im seeing - below is a screenshot of what I see in device manager. Scanning for hardware changes doesnt help. Uninstalling the hardware and then scanning for hardware changes again, restores the bad item

My machine was working well for a while last night. I had reset the cmos and loaded default settings to see if that would help. Boot time in BIOS was aprx 19 sec from power on until Windows login screen. Now Im seeing this issue in the device manager, and Boot time is now aprx 50 sec, with the majority of the time being spent at the BIOS splash screen. I suspect the system is waiting on something, unfortunately I dont see anywhere in the BIOS to read diagnostic messages.

One thing I checked was the ASUS PC Diagnostics tool. I ran a test on the USB ports. Now, the only thing connected to the USB ports currently are my keyboard and mouse which work fine and show up in the diagnostics correctly. However on one of the Intel C610/x99 USB xHCI Host Controllers / Root Hub / Port 10 is failing. The message is:

VID:174C,PID:2074-Unknown USB Device, Enumeration failed.

At this point, I wondering if its one of the USB ports on the case that is causing the issue. Im going to disconnect teh case USB ports tonight when I get home to see if this will help.

Mark

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi mfletcher, I hope the following will help you more fully understand the problem.:)

There are a number of reasons and causes for Enumeration Failure.

1) The USB device is "hung".
2) Worn or faulty USB connectors and cables
3) No driver is installed, and the USB device does not report a device description string.
4) There is insufficient power to start the device.
5) The upstream hub has failed or is "hung".
6) The USB device has failed.

If the device has a Code 43 descriptor in Device Manager, then it is most probably the device itself.
Try testing the port by plugging in a different device, ie: known working USB stick.

Unknown Device symptoms are: FYI

A port reset request timed out during enumeration.
The Set Address request for the USB device failed.
The request for the USB device's Device Descriptor request failed.
The USB Device Descriptor was malformed and failed validation.
The request for the Configuration Descriptor failed.
The USB Configuration Descriptor was malformed and failed validation.

Should the problem persist, you can run a USB event trace for both USB3 and USB2 in windows 8.1 from a command prompt.
Go to this Microsoft Windows USB Core Team Blog site: http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/archive/2012/08/07/how-to-trace-usb-3-activity.aspx

Please report back and hope this helps.

MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Hello!
My name is Luka, this is my first post here, and I hope I'm at the right place 🙂

I see that MeanMachine is very knowledgeable on this topic and I have to complain on the problem I'm having for years now.

I have Asus Sabertooth X99, 64GB RAM and Xeon 2686v3 (18 core)…

What happens is that some times (2-3 out of 10) my keyboard doesn't "connect" at start up, it's Corsair K70. I have to unplug - plug in to get it recognized by the system.

I thought it might be up to keyboard, so I kept replugging it after bad start, every time, for years.

Than, few days ago, I plugged in Wacom Bamboo tab and same thing happens! Sometimes in the same time, sometimes separately form keyboard.

It all started after installation of stupid ASUS Thermal Radar 2! It made havoc to my MB... Everything went upside down... After days of reinstalling BIOS, drivers, softwares… I didn't manage to fix the USB issue. As I said, I thought maybe it was only up to the keyboard so I didn't pay any more attention.

Well, would you help me somehow, please?
Important info is that it has nothing to do with windows, as when keyboard doesn't power up, I simply can't even get into BIOS! So, issue is present before Windows loads up.

Thanks in advance!

1plus1
Level 7
mfletcher wrote:
hi,

my configuration:
Sabertooth x99 w bios 1702
intel i7 5930 cpu
32gb crucial ddr4 2400 memory
windows 8.1 professional

symptoms:
1) im seeing a long time in post. Say 10 sec to get the boot screen, and then another 45 secs completing post. During this time, keyboard and mouse (usb) are unresponsive. Once the keyboard and mouse start responding to inputs, the system boots quickly to os.
------------ hi, this is about memory voltage. You could solve it in bios setting. Just add voltage then boot like normal ( be careful not to high!!). I forget the specific number to put in.

Im wondering if anyone else is seeing these issues? Other that what is mentioned, the system is stable. I dont see any blue screens or other issues. But the long post time is troubling. --------- same issues.

Mark
same issues

vennacher
Level 7
Are you using the ASMedia USB drivers or the USB drivers that come stock with Windows 10? The ASMedia USB drivers I determine cause a whole host of problems for me (non-detect devices, blue screens, system freezes) and so have uninstalled them. Though my motherboard is R4BE, the driver may cause similar issues on your platform. Steve
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07

vennacher wrote:
Are you using the ASMedia USB drivers or the USB drivers that come stock with Windows 10? The ASMedia USB drivers I determine cause a whole host of problems for me (non-detect devices, blue screens, system freezes) and so have uninstalled them. Though my motherboard is R4BE, the driver may cause similar issues on your platform. Steve

It seems that they are all stock Windows. I couldn't find any trace of ASMedia on my computer.

vennacher
Level 7
Assume you've tried all your USB ports? Asking because some are Intel and some are ASMedia. If all the USB ports are wonky then seems unlikely it is the motherboard. Might there be firmware updates to your keyboard that improve detection/connectivity? If it sounds like I might be grasping for ideas, I am though in interest of helping. Troubleshooting gets quite frustrating at times.
MB : Rampage IV BE. - Bios 0801
CPU : i7 3970x @ 4500 MHz, Offset +0.030v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 750, C1E Enabled, C3/C6/C7 Disabled
CPU VCCSA: Manual 1.150v, Regular LLC, Fixed Frequency 500
RAM : Corsair Vengeance @ 1866 MHz - 64GB
Disks : Raid0 2x Intel 520 480GB; 2x Seagate 2TB
GFX : EVGA GTX690
Audio : Creative X-FI Titanium HD
PSU : Corsair AX1200i
Optic BD\DVD : Lite-On Blu-Ray; Samsung DVDRW
Cooler\Case : Corsair H100i v2 2; Silverstone TJ07