cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AX1200i vs AX1500i

Greenfeuer
Level 8
Well the title says it all, is it worth it?

I am consinder it AX1500i greatly due to the many good reviews and the fact it will last me a decade! 🙂

What do you guys think?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1xhxad_corsair-ax1500i-the-best-enthusiast-power-supply-period_tec...
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story6&reid=378

My new gaming rig plans. Buying from a custom store, so
not all options are avaliable.

CPU
Intel i7-5930K, 6 x 3.50GHz

CPU Cooler
Asetek 570LX - Custom

PSU
Corsair Professional Platinum AX1200i

GPU (Atm choice)
2 x (SLI) ASUS STRIX III 980 ti

Case
NZXT Phantom 820 Full tower - Black

RAM (Not sorted out but originally)
Kingston HyperX Predator 3000Mhz - Or Ripjaws 2666Mhz.

Systemdisk / SSD:

Samsung 1TB SSD 850 EVO

HHD/Storage:
Seagate Barracuda 2000GB 7200 RPM

DVD/Blueray:
ASUS Blu-Ray.

Motherboard:
ASUS X99 Rampage V Extreme

System:
Windows 8.1
16 REPLIES 16

Nate152
Hello Greenfeuer

If you're asking which psu to get, the 1200w would be more than enough for the components listed in your build. A 1000w would even be enough but there's nothing wrong going with a 1200w psu. You will have plenty of headroom for future upgrades such as another gpu if you decide to add another in the future.

Korth
Level 14
Agreed, a 1200W Platinum modular PSU will be more than enough for your build, even if you overclock your i7/GPUs/DDR4. You'd really only need 1500W if you plan to pack additional GPU card(s) or a lot of drives. The RVE User Manual recommends a minimum 1000W PSU for multi-GPU configuration.

An under-loaded PSU will generally run cooler and quieter (less electrical strain, less fan activity, etc) than a fully-loaded PSU, so I would expect an AX1500i to have greater overall longevity and suffer less electrical "aging" (which de-rates performance) than the AX1200i on your ~900W-loaded system. But the best assurance that a PSU will last you a decade is to buy one which comes with a 10-year warranty, like an EVGA SuperNova or a Rosewill Photon - or to buy a server-grade PSU from LEPA, FSP/Zalman, Seasonic, etc. I personally think you can never have "too much" PSU! But I wouldn't pay extra for the 1500W product unless I really need the power/features (or plan future upgrades which really need the power/features) or unless it happens to be on sale at a fantastic price. Better to spend budgetary limits on upgrading other components.
"All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others." - Douglas Adams

[/Korth]

Greenfeuer
Level 8
Hrmm its a tough call. Will 1200W be enough for Three way sli?

kkn
Level 14
i would guess in the grey zone when it comes to 3 sli on 1200W.
but for 3 cards i would go 1500W just to be on the safe side.

for the memory, just be SHURE you pick ONE kit of the amount you need since you going to add it to rampage board, and they are picky when it comes to ram.
32 gig = ideal amount.
64gig = it will put strain on your IMC and you will not OC the cpu that good compare when you have 32gig, and for 64gig only heavy memory hugging programs or virtual machines and things like that takes advantage of that amount.

if i was you i would change out all the fans in that case whit new ones whit high static preshure over 1.5 ( MMH20 ).
this becouse of the heat that the cards will produce.
no need to he high RPM fans as long as they push good deal of air.

Greenfeuer
Level 8
Is 16GB not enough?

Not sure if I will get a third card, but who knows. It may happen in time 🙂

Nate152
You can run four 980's on a 1200w psu, if you were going with four 980ti's then you might want to consider a 1500w psu. Take a look at this review with four 980's they weren't even hitting 700 watts and this is with a 130w 3960x. So a 1200 watt psu would be enough even with overclocking.

http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/NVIDIA-GTX-980-3-Way-and-4-Way-SLI-Performance/Power-Con...

if you're just gaming 16Gb is plenty. The new witcher 3 only uses 5GB of system ram gaming at 4k and I don't know of any game at this time that comes close to using 16GB. You won't get any performance increase going with 32GB of ram.

Greenfeuer
Level 8
So 1200W is enough for 980 ti three way sli? And if I go four way sli It may be pushing it?

I though the same with 16GB I was just suprised at the suggestion at 32GB I have though of it, but it just seemed unessary for gaming.

Thanks for all the answers so faar!
And to you too Nate152 for the always precise and good answers 🙂

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Make sure you check that any PSU comes with enough PCIe cables to run multiple GPUs. Many 1200w come with only 3 sets of PCIe cables so while they may have current and rail specs to be able to supply quad GPUs they physically can't do it. For quad GPUs I would look at 1500w too. 1250 for triple.

Greenfeuer
Level 8
I may go Tri in time maybe quad later, can't say. Depends on the money flow.

I am seriously consindering AX1500i since its not that much more expensive then AX1200i who will only be enough for Sli 980 Ti, no further upgrade
gpu wise then.